Nichushkin 10
Scheifele 9
Toffoli 8
Raffl 8
Holland 7
Trouba 6

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Whether or not Scheifele (or Trouba) for that matter, get nominated for the Calder, I think the bigger (and more important) thing is that the organization and the fanbase, can breath that collective sigh of relief, that Scheifele is at the very least, going to be a quality NHL player.

Before a player plays in the NHL, I think there is always going to be a certain amount of finger crossing that a guy is going to be able to make it. With Couturier doing well in Philly out of the gate (which was always expected), and Burmi's issues here, there has been more than enough hand wringing and second guessing in regards to Scheifele.

His play all season, but especially the last dozen or so games I think should go a long way to allow a collective exhale. At the very least, he's playing like a pretty good #3C, and the KSF line has actually been playing close to a #2. I think it's a pretty safe bet to throw away the B word in regards to Scheifele.

bazaaa*

I think you guys are over rating MacKinnon too much.
Scheif probably won't keep up this pace, but the guy has turned the page. He has confidence to actually handle the puck now, and I don't think he's going to go back to the Scheif we saw the first few dozen games.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
To echo what others have said, I don't believe he's in the conversation just yet. If and when he starts tracking for a 50+ point season, then he'll definitely be in the running.

Whether or not Scheifele (or Trouba) for that matter, get nominated for the Calder, I think the bigger (and more important) thing is that the organization and the fanbase, can breath that collective sigh of relief, that Scheifele is at the very least, going to be a quality NHL player.

Before a player plays in the NHL, I think there is always going to be a certain amount of finger crossing that a guy is going to be able to make it. With Couturier doing well in Philly out of the gate (which was always expected), and Burmi's issues here, there has been more than enough hand wringing and second guessing in regards to Scheifele.

His play all season, but especially the last dozen or so games I think should go a long way to allow a collective exhale. At the very least, he's playing like a pretty good #3C, and the KSF line has actually been playing close to a #2. I think it's a pretty safe bet to throw away the B word in regards to Scheifele.

Well said. Scheifele's play in the OHL last season did quite a bit to assuage my worry, but like you said, there's always that uneasy feeling about prospects: will their game translate to the pros? It gives me great relief to see that most of Scheifele's skills (vision, hands around the net, wrist shot) are holding up in the show.

His skating has been the most pleasant surprise. It improved a fair bit last season, but it's reached a new level this season. Dude has wheels, even if he doesn't always have the greatest traction. ;)

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Even if he's in the discussion, Trouba would have to be considered, as well.

If they were both to play fantastic hockey for the rest of the season, neither would have a chance for the Calder.

Vote splitting.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Even if he's in the discussion, Trouba would have to be considered, as well.

If they were both to play fantastic hockey for the rest of the season, neither would have a chance for the Calder.

Vote splitting.

I'm not saying you are wrong because I agree some vote splitting would occur.
But in OUR franchise history we had the Calder winner AND runner up in the same year.
In 2002 Heatley won and Kovy was runner-up.

So though that would make it a longer shot, it doesn't eliminate either.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not saying you are wrong because I agree some vote splitting would occur.
But in OUR franchise history we had the Calder winner AND runner up in the same year.
In 2002 Heatley won and Kovy was runner-up.

So though that would make it a longer shot, it doesn't eliminate either.

That must have been a really exciting year and the future must have felt good. I was shocked at how dominant Kovy was when he came here with the Devils. He would be great to have on our current roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad