Schedule Format Once Seattle Starts Up

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
For the last few seasons, the typical 82 game NHL season (which this season obviously won't be) has seen teams play about four or five games against division opponents, three games against the other teams in the conference and two against the teams in the other conference.

The arrival of Seattle means they'll have to fiddle with the numbers a little bit, I have three ideas for what they might do. (I apologize if my math is a little off)

Idea #1
Within Division - four games against five teams and three against two teams (26 games total)
Other Division in Conference - three games against eight teams (24 games total)
Other Conference - two games against 16 teams (32 games total)

Idea #2
Within Division - five games against six teams and four against one team (34 games total)
Other Division in Conference - two games against eight teams (16 games total)

Idea #3
Within Division - six games against seven teams (42 games total)
Other Conference - one game against 16 teams (16 games total)

Does anyone else like these or would you come up with another one?

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
For the last few seasons, the typical 82 game NHL season (which this season obviously won't be) has seen teams play about four or five games against division opponents, three games against the other teams in the conference and two against the teams in the other conference.

The arrival of Seattle means they'll have to fiddle with the numbers a little bit, I have three ideas for what they might do. (I apologize if my math is a little off)

Idea #1
Within Division - four games against five teams and three against two teams (26 games total)

Idea #2
Within Division - five games against six teams and four against one team (34 games total)

Idea #3

nhl will never do only 16 games vs other conference. It has to be home and away vs other conference.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

Idea #1

Idea #2

Idea #3

#2 is, in my opinion, the most likely. And, no wild cards for the playoffs.

If they decide to keep the wild cards, then #1 doesn't make enough distinction between conference and division play, so I would guess they go:

Versus Division: 4 games against everyone: 28
Other division in conference: 2 vs 2 teams, 3 vs 6 teams: 22
Other conference: 2 games: 32

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
nhl will never do only 16 games vs other conference. It has to be home and away vs other conference.
Assuming the NHL has fans by the 2021-2022 season. The first meetings against the 5 original six team's in the east and teams like the penguins and capitals and lightning will probably be some of the highest grossing dates for the Kraken.

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
There is also the option of getting rid of wildcards/conferences, and just four divisions.

Then you could have two games against 24 teams, five games against six of your divisional opponents and four against the other.

Reactions: Bucky_Hoyt

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
There is also the option of getting rid of wildcards/conferences, and just four divisions.

Then you could have two games against 24 teams, five games against six of your divisional opponents and four against the other.

Don't seeing them getting rid of conferences.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011

This is precisely option #2 in the OP.

Reactions: oknazevad

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Does it have to be 82 games per season? Season used to be 84 games.
Also, I know it'll never happen but I would love it if the season was reduced to 48-60 games. 80+ is too long.

4 games vs 7 division opponents = 28 games
3 games vs 8 conference opponents = 24
2 games vs 16 opposite conference = 32
84 games total
or
4 games vs 7 division teams = 28
2 games vs 8 conferent teams = 16
76 games total

or realign to four 4 team divisions per conference
4x3 division teams = 12
3x 12 conf teams = 36
2x16 opposite conf = 32
80 total games

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Probably could keep conferences but still focus on divisional play.

Conferences could just be of relevance at the Stanley Cup semi-finals stage in order to reduce travel.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Does it have to be 82 games per season? Season used to be 84 games.
Also, I know it'll never happen but I would love it if the season was reduced to 48-60 games. 80+ is too long.

4 games vs 7 division opponents = 28 games
3 games vs 8 conference opponents = 24
84 games total
or
4 games vs 7 division teams = 28
2 games vs 8 conferent teams = 16
76 games total

or realign to four 4 team divisions per conference
4x3 division teams = 12
3x 12 conf teams = 36
2x16 opposite conf = 32
80 total games

NHL already decided on alignment when Seattle joins. They aren't going the NFL route. They also aren't going to reduce the number of games either.

Reactions: Morrison

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I am very vocally on record saying Home/Away vs the other conference is incredibly stupid, bad for business, and should be eliminated even though I'd have lived 90 minutes or less from Western Conference NHL teams for the last 20 years and my team would visit me half as much.

Most people don't even understand the reason we have Home/Away vs the other conference. It's NOT because "every team in the league should visit once a year," because that is a really dumb business practice. The reason we have it is because the members of the Central division want to play the Eastern teams more and the Pacific teams less.

The schedule is going to end up as:
34 division games (5 games vs 6 opponents, 4 games vs one opponent)
48 non-division games (2 each vs the other 24 teams)

Because that's the only way you can get people to agree to divide 22 Eastern teams and 10 Western teams into two 16-team Eastern/Western conferences.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
If you wanted the most people to be happy...

Smythe Conference
58 = 8 vs five teams, 9 vs two teams.
24 = 1 vs each non-conference team.

Norris, Adams and Patrick Conferences:
42 = 6 vs Conference teams
32 = 2 vs non-Smythe Conference teams
8 = 1 vs Smythe Conference teams

TB, FLA join Norris
CBJ, CAR join Adams
COL, ARZ join Patrick

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
I am very vocally on record saying Home/Away vs the other conference is incredibly stupid, bad for business, and should be eliminated even though I'd have lived 90 minutes or less from Western Conference NHL teams for the last 20 years and my team would visit me half as much.

Most people don't even understand the reason we have Home/Away vs the other conference. It's NOT because "every team in the league should visit once a year," because that is a really dumb business practice. The reason we have it is because the members of the Central division want to play the Eastern teams more and the Pacific teams less.

The schedule is going to end up as:
34 division games (5 games vs 6 opponents, 4 games vs one opponent)
48 non-division games (2 each vs the other 24 teams)

Because that's the only way you can get people to agree to divide 22 Eastern teams and 10 Western teams into two 16-team Eastern/Western conferences.

Its also about $$$$ and getting the most fans in the seats. Playing the other conference home and away draws more money then it would if it was only 16 games vs other conference. NHL is not going to get rid of the home and away vs other conference. Need to move on from the issue.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Its also about $$$$ and getting the most fans in the seats. Playing the other conference home and away draws more money then it would if it was only 16 games vs other conference. NHL is not going to get rid of the home and away vs other conference. Need to move on from the issue.

We (as a board) have been over this many times, and that rationale is totally incorrect, not backed up by any facts or data and I've done massive data-dump analysis that pretty much proved:

1. "promotions" and"day of the week" and "price point" are more important factors in how many tickets above/below average are sold.
2. Old school teams/brands bring in more fans in non-conference games than the newer 90s-born franchises/brands.
3. The gains of selling out when Crosby/Ovechkin come to town are not enough to offset the HIGHER number of non-conference games featuring non-attractive teams; like my Islanders.

(and of course, all of you die-hard hockey fans are going to say "But the Islanders have Barzal! He's worth the price of admission to watch in person!" And you can pick one guy or several guys on each roster you'd like to see; but we're also the people talking hockey in the off-season on a message board and therefore not the consumers staying home for lackluster non-conference games).

The league is too big to play everyone twice.

If the point of the divisions are rivalries and start times, why are we playing 48 non-division games and 34 division games? Why did everyone agree to go from 9 road games in far away time zones to 16 road games? Because no one could agree on the number of CONFERENCE games to be played, because the Central Division doesn't want to be part of the Western Conference.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
Don't seeing them getting rid of conferences.

Wasn't this the original plan when they went to four divisions? I thought it would be lots of fun to have different semifinals and finals matchup.

Play all the out of division teams twice and the division teams in the other 34 games (6 teams you play 5 times and 1 team you play 4 times).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
If you wanted the most people to be happy...

Smythe Conference
58 = 8 vs five teams, 9 vs two teams.
24 = 1 vs each non-conference team.

Norris, Adams and Patrick Conferences:
42 = 6 vs Conference teams
32 = 2 vs non-Smythe Conference teams
8 = 1 vs Smythe Conference teams

TB, FLA join Norris
CBJ, CAR join Adams
COL, ARZ join Patrick

I prefer each team has a home an away, that way every team comes in your home building once a year, and why is schedule unbalanced between divisions.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Like KevFu said, it is most likely going to end up:
Home/away vs everyone not in your 8-team group= 48 games.
The other 34 games will be 5*6 and 1*4.

However, my preference would be:
As example:
Pacific plays all Pacific teams 6 games: 42 games
Pacific plays Central team 2 games: 16 games
Pacific plays Metro 2 games: 16 games
Pacific plays Atlantic 1 game: 8 games
and the following year you change the Metro and Atlantic arrangements.

The result would be that 3 times in 4 years, all the other teams are in your barn. That's a small miss to a flat h/a with everyone, and it puts 1/2 of your sched against your own division, which is how it should be.

Reactions: kvladimir

KevFu

May 22, 2009
I would much rather play every team in the other conference twice vs. playing the Wild 8 teams a year... Easy choice.

I prefer each team has a home an away, that way every team comes in your home building once a year, and why is schedule unbalanced between divisions.

People may object to my assertion based on personal preference. No one can object on data and facts.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
People may object to my assertion based on personal preference. No one can object on data and facts.

Like KevFu said, it is most likely going to end up:
Home/away vs everyone not in your 8-team group= 48 games.
The other 34 games will be 5*6 and 1*4.

However, my preference would be:
As example:
Pacific plays all Pacific teams 6 games: 42 games
Pacific plays Central team 2 games: 16 games
Pacific plays Metro 2 games: 16 games
Pacific plays Atlantic 1 game: 8 games
and the following year you change the Metro and Atlantic arrangements.

The result would be that 3 times in 4 years, all the other teams are in your barn. That's a small miss to a flat h/a with everyone, and it puts 1/2 of your sched against your own division, which is how it should be.

They are not going to go away from home and away from other conference. people do want to see at least every team live. Those that actually pay $$$ for season tickets.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Assuming the NHL has fans by the 2021-2022 season. The first meetings against the 5 original six team's in the east and teams like the penguins and capitals and lightning will probably be some of the highest grossing dates for the Kraken.

So you’re saying they’re more likely to sell out vs the Capitals than the Canucks... the local rivals, where the novelty of an away game will attract lots of Canuck fans.... sorry Canucks are the number one away attraction in Seattle.

As for the schedule, I think they need to move away from the 32 inter conference games, either 16 games or 20 with 1 against each team plus 4 games against special rivals so the Canadian teams for example play each other twice.

32 non playoff implicating games is too large a piece of the schedule.

Reactions: patnyrnyg

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
They are not going to go away from home and away from other conference. people do want to see at least every team live. Those that actually pay $$$ for season tickets.

As a season ticket holder, hated playing one team 8 times and then seeing the other conference teams once every 3 years. That was one of the bigger complaints on ticket holder surveys.
And what are these facts Kevfu talks about, that we cannot deny.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
So you’re saying they’re more likely to sell out vs the Capitals than the Canucks... the local rivals, where the novelty of an away game will attract lots of Canuck fans.... sorry Canucks are the number one away attraction in Seattle.

As for the schedule, I think they need to move away from the 32 inter conference games, either 16 games or 20 with 1 against each team plus 4 games against special rivals so the Canadian teams for example play each other twice.

32 non playoff implicating games is too large a piece of the schedule.

I was speaking that in general so don't bring up the whole we could had played another game vs Vancouver than to play the Capitals... Its all about the revenue and ratings for the league is why there is a home and away against the other conference.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't like playing teams outside your conference the same number of times as teams in your conference. They might as well scrap the eastern and western conferences if they do the home and home against non division teams format.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
I don't like playing teams outside your conference the same number of times as teams in your conference. They might as well scrap the eastern and western conferences if they do the home and home against non division teams format.

That's what will happen, I think.

Home/away versus everyone not in your 8-team group.
All the rest against your 8-team group (it will be 5 games against 6 teams, and 4 against the other)

Playoffs will be 2 rounds within the 8-team group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad