GDT: SCF Game #4 - Sharks vs Penguins - 5:00pm PDT NBC / CBC / TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
Need to find a way to win a game. All of Pittsburgh's goals came off bad defensive coverage. We really need to clean that up to have a chance of coming back.

frozenpondscum

Jul 12, 2005
Atlanta
Sharks best players tonight
Karlsson
Dillon
Tierney
Spaling

OK, maybe Thornton was better than Spaling. Even so, not a winning formula.

Tired of the too-tentative passing, not getting rid of the puck quick enough, and the way-too-predictable bounce-off-boards breakout attempts.

Still believe we can get it back to the tank, though. Every game close. Gotta withstand the early onslaught on Thursday, then make an extra play or two.

sjsharky

Sep 9, 2007
Mendocino Coast
I'm starting to accept that the Sharks were just second best this year. And there's a big gap between second best and best.

The Sharks aren't playing garbage hockey, the Pens are just doing a very good job at shutting them down.

It doesn't mean it's over. It's not over until the fourth win or loss. But it's going to take something very, very exceptional for the Sharks to win this one.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Same mental breakdowns. A lack of zone discipline has been costly.

Need to be more aggressive on forcheck. Pens speed has the Sharks playing with way to much fear

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I'm starting to accept that the Sharks were just second best this year. And there's a big gap between second best and best.

The Sharks aren't playing garbage hockey, the Pens are just doing a very good job at shutting them down.

it's less of a gap than it appears, i think. the problem is every other team plays a different style so they are ill prepared for this. players have more time than they think but they are having to make too precise of a play. the system needs to be adjusted to allow more easily executed escapes. Once teams adjust to this style we'll see some different things.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When he's been out for a ton of goals against this series, I don't see how it's lunacy at all.

I personally just think that he's a #6 defenseman. I think he's been horrendous this series, although I never thought he was that good. To make it clear though, he was fine for his role in the first 3 rounds.

But I think it's all but guaranteed that he's finished with the team after this round, I think it's a foregone conclusion that he's not coming back and we've seen the last of him whenever the end of this series is.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Have to remember that the Sharks were not even expected to get this far. Back in december the Bruin fans were licking their chops of possibly getting a top 5 pick with the Sharks draft pick they received.

True.

I mean, I rather the pick was 30th instead of 29th...

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I still can't process that this Penguins D is so much better against us than that super stacked Nashville D...

They aren't better. It's just the Pens offense is much better than the Preds that the Pens D don't have to defend as much. If you always have the puck you don't have to play defense.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
They aren't better. It's just the Pens offense is much better than the Preds that the Pens D don't have to defend as much. If you always have the puck you don't have to play defense.

Murray (despite not being tested much) is also not as bad as the current Rinne. The current Rinne is one of the worst starting goaltender in the NHL, which I seemed to have a very hard time convincing some people of that, despite it being the truth for 3 of the last 4 years.

But at the same time, Rinne was MUCH more tested than Murray. Murray is getting overhyped because he just turned 22 years old and he's giving them much better goaltending than MAF has this decade. Which isn't that hard to do, considering 2010-2013 was the worse consecutive 4 years of playoff goaltending from a single goaltender probably ever.

Squeeven

Sep 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Great. And now I just saw on sportcentre that Hertl I'd expected to miss the remainder of the series. Not blaming him or anything but I'd really like to know what kind of injure he's dealing with that he can't play through it? I really do wanna know because we need him BAD anf this is killing us.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Just too many missed chances. You have to shoot to score.

Too bad our best goal scorers can't get pucks on their sticks, off the ice, on the net. At least 3 flubs by Pavs, so many Couture shots in close that go high and wide, Burns with so many blocked shots. Incredibly frustrating.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
Contrary to popular belief, I don't believe this team is done yet. Both goals were off bad D coverage, which is still a mystery to me.

We didn't get pucks behind their D for most of the night. A lot of times, their D simply got the puck around their own circles so we couldn't get the forecheck really going.

I also don't know why we keep losing faceoffs so often. Aren't we one of the better faceoff teams in the league?

Finally, our PP just isn't the same without Hertl. Couture is awesome and all, but the chemistry just isn't there anymore.

We just aren't executing passes and losing people defensively. The speed of the Pens certainly is to blame for that, but sometimes it's just bone-headed mistakes or trying to do too much.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
They're too scared.

Too bad it's not an easy fix. Once you become passive, your game slips away and unfortunately so does your season.

It was a nice run though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad