Pre-Game Talk: SCF GAME 4 - 6/3 8:24 PM - THE BEAR knows St. Louis will stop at nothing to even the series

Which team will win Game 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
lmao what a bogus stat to quote.

That's 40 shot attempts in ALL SITUATIONS. The Blues had 63. Pretty lopsided, right? Not really when you think about it...

They actually had 33 5-on-5 shot attempts to St. Louis' 41 (so not very lopsided). Most of their extra attempts (15) came on the PP. Know how many attempts the Bruins had on the PP? 5 (FIVE!). They scored 4 PP goals. They would have attempted more shots if they didn't score on the first attempt 4 out of 5 times lol.

Also, consider that the game was lopsided from the first period on. Teams almost always get a lot more attempts than their opponents when they are trailing the whole game because the other team is playing more conservatively, the trailing team is throwing things on net, etc.

If the Blues analytics guys are looking at a 63-40 ALL SITUATIONS shot differential and telling their coaching staff that they're a better 5 on 5 team when the reality is attempts were only 41-33 at 5-on-5 in a 7-2 game then they are giving their guys a false sense of hope. By the way the Bruins out-attempted the Blues 39-28 at 5-on-5 in game 1. They were worse than the Blues in game 2 but anyone watching could tell you that. Bottom line is in a 3 game sample size the Blues have no data-supported reason to believe they are better at 5-on-5 and even if they were they are getting shredded so hard in special teams and the goalie matchup that it might not matter.

Not that familiar with advanced stats, but I found this: 5 on 5, with the score close. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say it shows the Bruins pretty much dominated.
I heard a lot the Blues dominated the first half of the first period. Well they had a PP to start and had 4 shots on it (and obvisously the Bruins none).
Yes they dominated, but they were on the PP!
Boston Bruins at St. Louis Blues Box Score — June 1, 2019 | Hockey-Reference.com
upload_2019-6-3_15-23-15.png

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
It is what it is. Some of them can see the Bruins are a talented machine, but there's always the exception.
The whole "who dominated who" conversation is pointless.

Advanced stats are fine if you are looking at a team or player over a long period of time. But over a short stretch like a 7 game series they are meaningless.

The only advanced stat that matters in the Stanley Cup Final is the scoreboard.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Blues have scored what...7 goals?

How many of those have been of the non insane deflection, weird bounce variety? 2?

Bruins just need to stick to playing their game, and they should win. They are the better team.

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
Blues have scored what...7 goals?

How many of those have been of the non insane deflection, weird bounce variety? 2?

Bruins just need to stick to playing their game, and they should win. They are the better team.

Yup, they need to play their game and try not to hang out in the corners too long. Blues are throwing 110% into every hit to the point where they are seemingly taking themselves out of the play sometimes. Capitalize and make it out healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad