Pre-Game Talk: SCF GAME 4 - 6/3 8:24 PM - THE BEAR knows St. Louis will stop at nothing to even the series

Which team will win Game 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

40 shot attempts are really low? In what world?

That guy might want to look at some stats before saying something stupid. The Bs averaged 47 shot attempts per game in the regular season and are averaging 42 shot attempts throughout the whole playoffs. So 40 shot attempts last game is a whopping 2 less than their average lol. The Bs are third among all playoff teams in that category. The Blues are first in the playoffs. In the regular season the Bs were 9th and the Blues were 16th.

Obviously the Blues would want more 5 on 5 because their special teams kind of suck compared to those of the Bs. 5 on 5 goals, the Blues are 1st in the playoffs and the Bs are 2nd. 5 on 4 goals in the playoffs the Bs are 1st (23) and the Blues are 2nd (12). In the regular season 5 on 5 plus 5 on 4 goals between the two teams was somewhat of a wash.

Reactions: Alicat and lopey

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Felger is pissing me off now. I know it's for ratings, but I am going to kill him.

and puppet Mazz agreeing

Reactions: GoBs and lopey

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

40 shot attempts are really low? In what world?

lmao what a bogus stat to quote.

That's 40 shot attempts in ALL SITUATIONS. The Blues had 63. Pretty lopsided, right? Not really when you think about it...

They actually had 33 5-on-5 shot attempts to St. Louis' 41 (so not very lopsided). Most of their extra attempts (15) came on the PP. Know how many attempts the Bruins had on the PP? 5 (FIVE!). They scored 4 PP goals. They would have attempted more shots if they didn't score on the first attempt 4 out of 5 times lol.

Also, consider that the game was lopsided from the first period on. Teams almost always get a lot more attempts than their opponents when they are trailing the whole game because the other team is playing more conservatively, the trailing team is throwing things on net, etc.

If the Blues analytics guys are looking at a 63-40 ALL SITUATIONS shot differential and telling their coaching staff that they're a better 5 on 5 team when the reality is attempts were only 41-33 at 5-on-5 in a 7-2 game then they are giving their guys a false sense of hope. By the way the Bruins out-attempted the Blues 39-28 at 5-on-5 in game 1. They were worse than the Blues in game 2 but anyone watching could tell you that. Bottom line is in a 3 game sample size the Blues have no data-supported reason to believe they are better at 5-on-5 and even if they were they are getting shredded so hard in special teams and the goalie matchup that it might not matter.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Something that I haven't noticed mentioned in the media is the difference in coaching approaches this series. It has been quite noticeable to me this series, and honestly since he has been here, that Cassidy has an extreme internal locus of control (success is determined almost solely on yourself; do not blame others for outcomes; avoid excuse making) and Berube seems to have an external locus of control (luck and external forces determine outcomes). Fans, myself included, frequently whine about external forces such as poor reffing, puck luck, bad luck in general, etc as to why a loss may occur, but those are fans. Their attitudes and opinions have no bearing on a team's success. Coaches and players have almost all the influence on the outcomes of most games. Yes, poor calls and puck luck can swing a game here and there, but in the big picture it is coach and player performance that determines the vast majority of outcomes. It is striking to me the gap between Cassidy and Berube in this regard. Have to appreciate that Cassidy has his team focused on playing hockey, while Berube seems to have his team more focused on refereeing and taking out other players. In other words, Cassidy is completely outclassing and outcoaching Berube.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Best thing you and everybody else could do is turn em off. They’re cancerous.

It's like a bad car accident. I can't look away even though it makes me sick to my stomach

Reactions: Alicat

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
@GordonHowe and I were traumatized by this a-hole and we've never fully recovered. Whenever I see his name I go into a flaming rage like I do when the Montreal Canadiens are mentioned. Sort of like Pavlov's dog. It is that bad :nod:

I wouldn't say "flaming rage." The guy forgets in one day more than I will ever know about the game.

But, I believe it was Fenway who encountered Mike Milbury in a local bar at some point in the past. I've related the story before. Milbury basically pointed not to Mr. Burns as the reason for Boston's penurious ways, but to Sinden. Almost always, the Bruins under his tenure were at least two or three players away from elite. As in, MTL elite.

Why? I don't know why. He had a Jack Adams complex. And the players -- Ray Bourque to arbitration springs to mind, as does Ray's request to be traded -- as well as fans paid for it.

I'm so, so glad he is no longer in charge, and that OC departed, too. I continue to give Peter Chiarelli & Claude Julien -- and Charlie Jacobs, not least -- great credit for restoring a traditional "Bruins culture," and a culture of winning. Up to their arrival, the B's were a grim joke.

So, enjoy what we have for the moment. And beware hubris. Its answer is nemesis.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
From Sportsnet; In case you didn't know, the Bruins are more than just one line and a solid goalie. :rolleyes:

Reactions: nazartp

RustyBruins72

Jul 29, 2005
I don't know anything about it. This is the first I've heard of it. now I'm curious!

It was talked about yesterday morning. He screamed that as he left the game Saturday night. Speculation was that he meant the team knew to stay out of the box.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
Something that I haven't noticed mentioned in the media is the difference in coaching approaches this series. It has been quite noticeable to me this series, and honestly since he has been here, that Cassidy has an extreme internal locus of control (success is determined almost solely on yourself; do not blame others for outcomes; avoid excuse making) and Berube seems to have an external locus of control (luck and external forces determine outcomes). Fans, myself included, frequently whine about external forces such as poor reffing, puck luck, bad luck in general, etc as to why a loss may occur, but those are fans. Their attitudes and opinions have no bearing on a team's success. Coaches and players have almost all the influence on the outcomes of most games. Yes, poor calls and puck luck can swing a game here and there, but in the big picture it is coach and player performance that determines the vast majority of outcomes. It is striking to me the gap between Cassidy and Berube in this regard. Have to appreciate that Cassidy has his team focused on playing hockey, while Berube seems to have his team more focused on refereeing and taking out other players. In other words, Cassidy is completely outclassing and outcoaching Berube.
Totally agree! :thumbu:
As a coach, you have to consider that whining to the refs and about the refs can give the players a ready-made excuse to quit.
Look yourself in the mirror, and do your job!

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Look at Bruce being all factual and stuff.

Let 'em have it, Butch!! :)

And one of those penalties against them was at the end of the game and had zero to do with much of anything. So really they had to kill off two penalties that meant anything that were a result of a ref interpreting an action and calling it. And that was in a game in which the Bs dominated and won handily. Blues got a good dozen breaks from the refs swallowing their whistles that game. Good on Bruce to point things out. Berube is a complete tool to be whining about reffing. If anyone should be complaining post-game about reffing bias it should be Bruce, but he's too busy winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->