GDT: SCF Game 3: Tampa Bay Lightning vs Montreal Canadiens 7/2/21 8:00pm EST SN, CBC, TVA, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I would love to see Romanov and Kulak as the bottom pair. They are a big upgrade in mobility to match the speed of Tampa. Their have been minimal penalties called unless they are very obvious so Gustaffson has not had a lot of power plays in which he is only effective and Merrill doesn’t bring anything more than what Kulak or Romanov can.

Reactions: Gainesvillain

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Yep, around 10% of teams have done it, similar to the rate of climbing out of a 2-0 series hole in general. I think it's slightly more rare in the final.
It's much rarer in the finals because the quality of the competition is almost always much higher than in any prior round. The last time it happened (I think) was 10 years ago when the Bruins went down 0-2 to the Canucks. But the Canucks were a fraud and they had something that Tampa doesn't have: a goalie who chokes hard in big games.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
That's what good goalies do: they take away the lower half of the net and give you no softies. If you want to score you have to beat them with a perfect shot to the top corner, which is hard enough to do during practice when no defenders are trying to take your head off, let alone at full speed during a game when you're under pressure from a defender who is taking away your time and space.

Yeah I agree. I suspect a few of those goals are from rebounds. Vasi goes down to stop the shot and then the player puts the rebound up and over his pads and glove/blocker.

I deleted the picture because I thought it would be bad karma here on the Habs board. I will repost it on the main SCF thread.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
I like this Habs team a lot. Unfortunately TB is just too good. Unlike vs Leafs and Vegas, I don’t see any weaknesses we can exploit or how we can get back in the series. Carpe Diem

Reactions: Skala24

Riddick412

Crash da net!
Dec 15, 2011
Ottawa
My hopes went way down after last game. So I don't expect any wins now, just watching to enjoy the game.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
With last change we need to out coach this team. They have too much skill and too much momentum. Matchups are gonna get us through this game.

If we can win this and get the momentum back we have a series!

Let's f***ing go boys!!!!

Reactions: Habs10Habs

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
If we want any chance to win the Cup, we need to win BOTH at home. The fact they’re limiting to only 3500 fans won’t help our team.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Feeling a win tonight...I don't want this team to get swept in the final, and I just don't think they'll allow it, too much pride and determination in this team, from the vets to the youth.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
In a way I am less worried about tonight than I am about Game 4 on Monday. The Habs know they need to win tonight or Monday won't even matter so I'm expecting them to push back hard and eke out a win. My bigger worry is that they have nothing left to give in Game 4 and lose. Again, this is not the Leafs. This opponent knows how to close.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
...sad when our toughest opponent is our own coaching/management staff...:facepalm:
Unfortunately this kind of pettiness and hidebound mindset has existed since long before Bergevin came along. Management and coaches are more concerned with teaching players who's boss than they are about doing the right thing. I've read that near the end of the regular season Romanov either missed or was late to a meeting and this is his punishment. I hope it isn't true but if it is I would not be the least bit surprised.

Given that Romanov barely missed a game all season I fail to see how he is now considered too inexperienced or too risky to play in the postseason, especially when the veterans taking his place are so thoroughly mediocre. I completely understand why you would dress Perry instead of Belzille or Ylonen. And if we're talking about Ouellet or Fleury, sure. But Merrill or Gustafsson instead of Romanov and Kulak? Sorry, that makes no damn sense. Not if you're trying to win a hockey game, anyway.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Unfortunately this kind of pettiness and hidebound mindset has existed since long before Bergevin came along. Management and coaches are more concerned with teaching players who's boss than they are about doing the right thing. I've read that near the end of the regular season Romanov either missed or was late to a meeting and this is his punishment. I hope it isn't true but if it is I would not be the least bit surprised.

Given that Romanov barely missed a game all season I fail to see how he is now considered too inexperienced or too risky to play in the postseason, especially when the veterans taking his place are so thoroughly mediocre. I completely understand why you would dress Perry instead of Belzille or Ylonen. And if we're talking about Ouellet or Fleury, sure. But Merrill or Gustafsson instead of Romanov and Kulak? Sorry, that makes no damn sense. Not if you're trying to win a hockey game, anyway.
The thing is , Merrill barely play 10min a night and Gustafsson plays 8min a game and 5 of his minutes are on the powerplay. They are so much at risk during 5v5 they don't even play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad