SBJ: US Annual TV Rights Fees to exceed 200M

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
It's only good for College football.

Good call, didn't really think of that one. But everyone else has problems. Baseball moved the World Series so it'd only be played during 1 weekend. The NBA has never attempted national Saturday games, I don't think. Saturday is obviously every team's favorite night at the gate, so having a national game on when so many are at games is silly. Add in how many are out of the house on Saturday nights, and there just isn't a market for national Saturday night games.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The NHL should stick with Versus where they are treated like the premium property.

ESPN is just trying to use the NHL to kill Versus and will punt again if they accomplish this goal.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
Not everyone wants to watch college football, even on "college football days."

The success of the Winter Classic on New Years Day proves that.

Not really there was only 1 CFB game on and it was on ESPN(Fiesta Bowl). The Fiesta Bowl still got better ratings despite it not being a close game and a poor match-up.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/01/rose-bowl-tv-ratings-fall-15-on-espn/1

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/01/nhls-winter-classic-tv-ratings-up-8/1

Fiesta Bowl got a 6.7 vs. the Winter Classic's 2.3. This isn't even a good example since it's a holiday and a specialty game.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Not everyone wants to watch college football, even on "college football days."

The success of the Winter Classic on New Years Day proves that.

The Winter Classic still routinely gets destroyed by whatever college game is being played concurrently. Now imagine the potential ratings for a Saturday when the NHL season has just started and the BCS race is taking shape... which game do you think is going to draw more casual viewers?

I understand many on the coasts don't give a **** about college football, but if they had to pick between a meaningful football game between powerhouse programs and an early season hockey game between anybody, I think we all know what most Americans are going to watch.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Looks like NBC and Versus has won the rights. Conference call at 1pm with Bettman and Ebersole to annonce something "major."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad