SBJ: US Annual TV Rights Fees to exceed 200M

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
I just hope they can sign a deal where all the playoff games will be shown. It's kinda of pathetic that there are entire series that won't on television like the Anaheim-Nashville series and 90% of the Penguins-Lightning series

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I just hope they can sign a deal where all the playoff games will be shown. It's kinda of pathetic that there are entire series that won't on television like the Anaheim-Nashville series and 90% of the Penguins-Lightning series

I think the next contract will have where NHL Network can air some first round playoff games. They games are already blackout for local broadcast in round 1 so it wouldn't be a situation where you are taking the game away from local viewers. It would be moving games currently on Center Ice to the network and adds value to the channel. The NBA already does this with NBAtv for first round games.

mrCoffea*

Is this a joint cable/network offer, or will there be separate offers for Network Television in the USA and Cable Television in the USA?

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
More than likely, it would be a single offer for both network and cable TV.

They are almost certainly looking to sell a combined Cable/Broadcast deal (likely also including digital rights). That's why the League orchestrated it that the NBC and VS deals ended the same year.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
During the NCAA tournament I was surprised to see how many households TruTV was in but my question is this... how many households are TruTV-HD (and VersusHD and any others) available to? TruTV-HD wasn't available to me for the "first four" games this year and I have Time Warner (!!). They had to temporarily make the HD feed available throughout the rest of the tournament because this wasn't an isolated occurrence.

Just checked, and I do have truTV in HD (channel 748). I've never watched anything on that channel (or the SD) to date.

I think the next contract will have where NHL Network can air some first round playoff games. They games are already blackout for local broadcast in round 1 so it wouldn't be a situation where you are taking the game away from local viewers. It would be moving games currently on Center Ice to the network and adds value to the channel. The NBA already does this with NBAtv for first round games.

NHL Network is showing rebroadcasts for almost every series it seems. Checking my DVR schedule, I'm seeing something like a 1am PT, 9am, 11am rebroadcasts of the night before's playoff games.

They are doing "On the Fly" with clips starting at 4pm PT every night until OTF Final circa 10pm PT.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Tonight on ESPN:
Year of the Quarterback (SportsScience Special)
College Football Live
NFL Live
Sportcenter Special - "On The Clock" (NFL Draft stuff)

Anyone who thinks they would subject a playoff game to ESPN2 tonight is crazy.

Meanwhile, 2 is airing a Globetrotters game from November :laugh:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Tonight on ESPN:
Year of the Quarterback (SportsScience Special)
College Football Live
NFL Live
Sportcenter Special - "On The Clock" (NFL Draft stuff)

Anyone who thinks they would subject a playoff game to ESPN2 tonight is crazy.

Meanwhile, 2 is airing a Globetrotters game from November :laugh:

Congrats you caught them in a 2-3 day dead period of after the BA season and before the NBA playoffs. Once the NBA playoffs start I'm going to guess those dead nights are pretty much gone. They will either have the NBA or Baseball on ESPN (or next week with the NFL Draft).

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Healy on CBC reported trutv/turner put in a 150M bid, and that fox is still around.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Congrats you caught them in a 2-3 day dead period of after the BA season and before the NBA playoffs. Once the NBA playoffs start I'm going to guess those dead nights are pretty much gone. They will either have the NBA or Baseball on ESPN (or next week with the NFL Draft).

Why don't you try looking at ESPN's schedule? You'll see that the vast majority of the 1st round of the NBA Playoffs isn't on ESPN but on TNT, and I believe the 2nd round is the same. I know each ESPN and TNT get 1 of the Conference Finals. This is a pretty empty time for ESPN. This week they have Monday Night and Wednesday Night Baseball. I'm sure they'd love to have a west coast playoff game air afterwards. Tuesday and Thursday they have nothing. Friday is the only weekday they have NBA Playoffs this week.

espntv.com

KzooShark

Jun 3, 2004
Everything I hear about the NFL lockout is that it will probably be over by the time hockey starts back up. The NHLPA planned ahead for their lockout and had the option of playing overseas to stay in shape and to keep some money coming in. The NFL players didn't plan ahead with any kind of real slush fund, and they can't really go play in Europe. They're likely to cave as soon as September rolls around and they don't have game checks coming in. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the NBA players are as unprepared, though they have European options.

Even if it isn't, ESPN will spend forever talking about it, and as long as college football and basketball are ongoing, they won't run into a situation where they have nothing to show.

Even though not every playoff game is being televised nationally, VS is managing two full games a night every night since Wednesday thus far. Do you really see ESPN2 doing the same, even ignoring their other commitments.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I can't imagine the NHL would want to make a jump to be the lead dog somewhere else, when they're already the league dog where they're at for a growing network.

Comcast will match anything.

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Healy on CBC reported trutv/turner put in a 150M bid, and that fox is still around.

Healy has no idea what he's talking about.

Not that any of us will never know, but a $150M bid goes a long away to explaining how the number jumped to $200M.

I can't imagine the NHL would want to make a jump to be the lead dog somewhere else, when they're already the league dog where they're at for a growing network.

Comcast will match anything.

Any they should. I just hope that in the end, the TV contract resembles the same set-up the NBA enjoys: Network and cable pair (NBC & Versus) a second cable partner (TruTV?) and an expanded 'League Channel' to get at least one game a night on TV and EVERY playoff game on the air, too.

Darlotto99

Jul 23, 2010
Bolton, ON
NHL should remain on NBC/Versus

they should also sign to air games on USA Network or Spike TV i think those two networks would be the best for the growth of the game.

USA Network is already part of the Comcast/NBC family and would be ideal for the NHL to air on the network. maybe Saturday nights hey why not build a Hockey Night in America brand on USA.

Spike TV would be a interesting partner as well as it would expose the NHL to the MMA fans and with NHL having fighting already in the game it might get new fans who tune in to see UFC.

a NBC/Versus/USA or Spike would be the best fit for the NHL

Last edited:

Rink Rage

May 2, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Scratch that, I would love that idea. Seeing that ESPN is only committed to putting games on ESPN2, tells me they're not gonna be committed enough to get anything.

Ogopogo*

That is one thing that makes me glad to be in Canada. We get all games from every playoff series. For a hockey fan in Canada, the first round of the playoffs is the best time of year - multiple games televised every day for nearly two weeks. :)

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
NHL should remain on NBC/Versus

they should also sign to air games on USA Network or Spike TV i think those two networks would be the best for the growth of the game.

USA Network is already part of the Comcast/NBC family and would be ideal for the NHL to air on the network. maybe Saturday nights hey why not build a Hockey Night in America brand on USA.

Spike TV would be a interesting partner as well as it would expose the NHL to the MMA fans and with NHL having fighting already in the game it might get new fans who tune in to see UFC.

a NBC/Versus/USA or Spike would be the best fit for the NHL

Saturday nights are no good in this country.

wildthing202

May 29, 2006
Saturday nights are no good in this country.

It's only good for College football.

As for ESPN couldn't ESPN 3 be used in any fashion for games that are being played at the same time. Show one on TV and the other online since they do stuff like that for NCAA basketball & football.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The best long term deal would be to stick with NBC/Versus and negotiate games on the other networks on the NBC spectrum. Maybe also a rights deal to have games on hulu and continue their internet package.

Short term money dive would be to go to ESPN like an abused wife going back to her abusive husband.

What's interesting is how Versus has positioned itself as well; there's going to be an NBA lockout the level of hate and management loathing exuding from the NBA is 10 times higher than the NFL. Versus has the coverage that ESPN is lacking. If anything, ESPN lean on college football like a crutch and then go to college basketball.

The time is right for Vs. to become an usurper to ESPN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->