Save TSN 690

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
What English all sports radio station will they find jobs at that we can listen to daily?

Rather than kill the station why not demand it gets better instead?

I don't get people that want to kill the only sports radio station we've ever had.

Melnick and Bird are broadcasters. Bird spent time at CHOM with Terry DiMonte, and I bet that's where he'll end up. Melnick's show is not "strictly sports" and can fit into any English radio station's lineup. Price may need a little help.

All sports stations work in sports towns. We are not a sports town. We're a hockey town.

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011
I just never see that station ever improving to the point of offering anything even HF Boards doesn't already give me. And it's not like we're known as paragons of intelligent conversation here. I understand there are those who commute to work and want some sports talks in the mornings and afternoons. There are those who live in Ontario and want some habs talk there as well. I'm not part of these demographics, so I don't speak for them. As a bilingual Québécois habs fan, I can honestly say, "**** our radio coverage".

*throws down mic*

Having no french sports radio is annoying. I want both TSN 690 and a new french sport radio.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Having no french sports radio is annoying. I want both TSN 690 and a new french sport radio.

yes to this, but having only one is fine too as long as we have one! I just don't wanna have to listen to 98.5 everytime i'm bored out of my music at work...

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
People think of what we are really going to loose here, and that is tony marinaro, the heart and soul of that broadcasting team :laugh:

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Melnick and Bird are broadcasters. Bird spent time at CHOM with Terry DiMonte, and I bet that's where he'll end up. Melnick's show is not "strictly sports" and can fit into any English radio station's lineup. Price may need a little help.

All sports stations work in sports towns. We are not a sports town. We're a hockey town.

This is sadly true. Andre Dawson said it best that people would be interested the expos if the game was played with a hockey puck.

Long live the 'Spos

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
This is sadly true. Andre Dawson said it best that people would be interested the expos if the game was played with a hockey puck.

Long live the 'Spos

Meh, they also only speak about hockey. They allow barely time for other sports. I'd listen if there was a show about the Impact, the MLS and the soccer world. And I'm sure others would listen shows about other sports. Why is there no show about MMA/Boxing? There's a huge fan base here. About football? But no, they need to talk non-stop about the color of Price's boxers and how it affects his performance. :Facepalm:

(I'm basing this on how CKAC was... I'm pretty sure it's similar with TSNRadio).

That said, I agree. We're not the sports town we love to say we are. We're not bad but we're nothing exceptional.

fsdev905

Dec 22, 2006
Toronto
I listen to it online when in the car if there's a Habs game.
Other than that, the station is unbearable. It's awful to listen to.
If there's no 690, hockey will go back to CJAD? I'm fine with that.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
WE should take a couple of guys from here and start a Webradio!!!

I actually like TSN690 from time to time...but since i got Sirius satellite, i got everything i want about sports talks!! I'm full....I signed the petition anyway!!

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
That said, I agree. We're not the sports town we love to say we are. We're not bad but we're nothing exceptional.

On the other hand, Montreal isn't the hockey only town that outsiders portray it as. It's been debunked countless times that the Expos stood no chance because French people only watch hockey. All you need to do is look at what Loria has done to the Marlins in Miami, the crowds are just as pitiful as they were when he drove the Expos into the ground, and Miami has a brand new stadium.

(Of course Miami is a horrible sports town, but that hasn't stopped them from getting a professional team in every league)

Hockey is the only sport that will be financially solvent in Montreal without a winning product. This is true. The same can be said about most North American cities with hockey for Canada and football for the US. In Denver the Broncos are the only ones who sell out without a playoff team. Buffalo can barely keep its football team. The only cities where all sports are popular are New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago and to some degree Toronto.

Montreal sports fans tend to be frontrunners. That doesn't mean other sports don't work here. With all due respect to Andre Dawson, his comments were born out of frustration.

Raider917

Feb 4, 2004
Nova Scotia
they need to hire better people if they want to avoid this type of thing. listening to them is like listening to 12 year olds pretending to be radio personalities.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
I signed the petition. But the only times worth listening are in the morning and afternoon.. even then... It's more of a talk show half the time than an actual sports (or even Hockey) station.

On another note.. I like Mitch Melnick, but I don't like when he's having interviews with (enter singer here) when you are supposed to be hosting a SPORTS SHOW.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I signed the petition. But the only times worth listening are in the morning and afternoon.. even then... It's more of a talk show half the time than an actual sports (or even Hockey) station.

On another note.. I like Mitch Melnick, but I don't like when he's having interviews with (enter singer here) when you are supposed to be hosting a SPORTS SHOW.

I agree 100%.

I signed it.

My favorite show is actually the morning show...those guys crack me up regardless if some of you think they're immature.

void

Jan 5, 2006
I'm glad they finally found a competent replacement for Andie Bennett (Jessica Rusnak)... Amanda Stein was/is awful.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
Try living IN Toronto. :laugh: We don't even get TSN690. It's TSN1050 which is even more of the Leafs brainwashing campaigns. Throw in 640, the Official Station, Leafs Nation and that's pretty much enough to make me want to rip my ears off sometimes. I wish there was more Habs coverage.

Try tunein.com then you don't have to listen to anything Leafs.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
Meh, they also only speak about hockey. They allow barely time for other sports. I'd listen if there was a show about the Impact, the MLS and the soccer world. And I'm sure others would listen shows about other sports. Why is there no show about MMA/Boxing? There's a huge fan base here. About football? But no, they need to talk non-stop about the color of Price's boxers and how it affects his performance. :Facepalm:

(I'm basing this on how CKAC was... I'm pretty sure it's similar with TSNRadio).

I was a regular CKAC listener. I agree there was a lot of content dedicated to our Habs, I think they still talked a lot about other sports (even more on non-peak hours). Lots of content on every mainstream sport (with a couple of "insiders") and even on the other ones (auto racing, fighting sports, etc.). Of course, as the Montreal crowd is not a huge basketball fanbase, there are not a lot of things to talk about rather than hockey during the winter. One thing may be that it was more about Habs than about hockey in general, but you can't fight the passion of the fans. We have many performing athletes in amateur (olympic) sports, maybe there should have been more interest for them.

Back on topic, I don't know about TSN radio, though. Never had the chance to listen to that station.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm a franco, and you guys will realize what it is to lose TSN690 the day you'll see what will replace them.

The morning show is great as far as I'M concerned. Loved Casavant, love even more Bird. I particularly don't Marinaro as I take him for what he is. Love the Friday night Noon show with all the guys. And Melnick show...well it's fine. At least the first hour is. Everything else after, like Overlords said, is old music I don't like and other stuff I can do without.

But TSN690 is a necessity. I obviously don't mind a franco sports radio show....with the idea that it would be filled with interesting people but I haven't seen that yet. The greatest news of not having a franco radio show is the fact that we don't hear Michel Villeneuve anymore. He is at 98,5fm but plays at 6:30 which means for me that I just can't listen to him and that's totally fine. But english for french? There's clearly more substance in the english part of it than there ever was on the french one. Bring me some Mathias Brunet, Cantin, Dubé, to a certain extent Langlois, Vercheval for football and a few others....but usually, those guys aren't the ones you'll listen to. And I tell you....when all is said and done...you will GREATLY miss TSN690.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
I'm a franco, and you guys will realize what it is to lose TSN690 the day you'll see what will replace them.

The morning show is great as far as I'M concerned. Loved Casavant, love even more Bird. I particularly don't Marinaro as I take him for what he is. Love the Friday night Noon show with all the guys. And Melnick show...well it's fine. At least the first hour is. Everything else after, like Overlords said, is old music I don't like and other stuff I can do without.

But TSN690 is a necessity. I obviously don't mind a franco sports radio show....with the idea that it would be filled with interesting people but I haven't seen that yet. The greatest news of not having a franco radio show is the fact that we don't hear Michel Villeneuve anymore. He is at 98,5fm but plays at 6:30 which means for me that I just can't listen to him and that's totally fine. But english for french? There's clearly more substance in the english part of it than there ever was on the french one. Bring me some Mathias Brunet, Cantin, Dubé, to a certain extent Langlois, Vercheval for football and a few others....but usually, those guys aren't the ones you'll listen to. And I tell you....when all is said and done...you will GREATLY miss TSN690.

oh man MERCI! I miss the old CKAC 730 so bad :cry:

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010

What I don't understand is why can't there be an RDS channel for people who prefer French and a TSN channel for those who prefer English? I'm a little ignorant of the history which has lead to this but would that not be the clear, obvious answer?

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
What I don't understand is why can't there be an RDS channel for people who prefer French and a TSN channel for those who prefer English? I'm a little ignorant of the history which has lead to this but would that not be the clear, obvious answer?

as I stated earlier, Bell bought RDSRadio.ca domain a couple of years ago, and i've been waiting eversince lol

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.

It's more profitable for Cogeco to pocket millions from the government to run a bare-bones traffic station that no one listens to at 730 AM, transferring hockey and the profitable shows to 98,5 FM to fill airtime. If CKAC didn't make that much money, RDS radio without the actual games is doomed from the start.

They win, we loose.

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I'm glad they finally found a competent replacement for Andie Bennett (Jessica Rusnak)... Amanda Stein was/is awful.

Jessica is a very kind person. I met her at the draft party last year and she was down to earth and easy to talk with.

Morning show - Funny but immature at times. Disappointed that they brought in Ted Bird though. Nothing against him, I do like him, but that spot could have been given to someone who is making their way into the broadcasting business. Not like Ted can't find work elsewhere.

Afternoon - Don't listen. Tony is a putz and his surrounding crew ain't any better.

Melnick - Insightful when he actually talks about hockey but is way too much of a music aficionado for my taste. If I want to listen to entire songs and interviews from music legends, I'll tune into CHOM.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00