TV: Saturday night live to end at 50 years? Michaels to retire?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Lorne Michaels gave an interview a few days ago saying he was thinking of retiring after the 50th anniversary year.

The show went sideways in a big way when he left last time

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The SNL model was literally created generations ago. That whole "anything can happen" element along with "you need to see it live/we're getting the hottest acts" isn't as viable in the modern age with streaming and replays. In the 70s-90s, you had to actually watch it or hope you're VHS didn't malfunction.

The skits aren't as funny or cutting edge, and so many of the alumni have talked about how toxic of a culture it is, so none of that helps.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.

Lorne Michaels gave an interview a few days ago saying he was thinking of retiring after the 50th anniversary year.

The show went sideways in a big way when he left last time
The Dick Ebersol years brought us Eddie Murphy.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Dick Ebersol years brought us Eddie Murphy.
and Joe Piscapo

They'd be better off repacking some SNL show where all the skits are pre-taped. The amount that they have to bend over just so it's live every Saturday night is crazy and no doubt hurts the product.

The New Yorker a few years ago studies several random episodes and in several cased over 60% of what made it to air was infact live.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
i heard it’s really competitive and conniving in the writer’s room. I haven’t watched much in the last decade but it’ll be weird when it’s not on anymore.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
As a wrestling fan I think it'd be interesting if SNL was run the same way as WWE. I think in WWE people move up and down the card more fluidly more often according to how much the audience is reacting to them. You could have a new guy they're pushing and in a few months they're buried or cut and replaced by someone new. It helps though that when you can just put a title belt on your stars whereas SNL couldn't really announce McKinnon was their number 1 in the same way.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
As a wrestling fan I think it'd be interesting if SNL was run the same way as WWE. I think in WWE people move up and down the card more fluidly more often according to how much the audience is reacting to them. You could have a new guy they're pushing and in a few months they're buried or cut and replaced by someone new. It helps though that when you can just put a title belt on your stars whereas SNL couldn't really announce McKinnon was their number 1 in the same way.

WWE has been terrible for years, I'd stay away from that model. If this was the case

-They would've given Kate McKinnon a stupid nickname and used it every 5 minutes
-All the cast members would do dumb posses
-The'd repeat all of their moves and lines every week.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
SNL is like 30 minutes of good comedy packed into a 90 minute show. In some ways, I wouldn‘t mind if it ended, but I’d probably miss it if it did end.

I never thought the show needed to be live, I think it would be better if they filmed it all ahead of time, but then I guess they’d miss out on covering the big news stories of the moment if they shot it weeks or months in advance.

I was listening to an interview with Martin Short, who was a cast member for one year, but who had also been on SCTV. He was asked which he preferred, and he said SCTV because they would write for months, and then film it.

It’s not like that on SNL of course, and I think that hurts the show. This whole “the show goes on whether it’s ready or it’s not” kind of thing is not really great for the finished product. Let’s be honest, sometimes the show blows.

However, the show has given us some great moments and launched some pretty incredible careers.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I spent a lot of years watching this growing up, but at this point I've not watched it for a longer period and don't ever give it a second of thought unless I see a thread about it or something like that.

That said, I can't imagine it not existing. That'll be pretty weird to know it's not out there.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Could Adam Sandler step in a producer? I don't like his movies, but as a producer he is as bankable as can get.

Not sure he’d have any interest in that. He lives in Los Angeles for one thing. Seth Meyers might make sense.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Show has been absolutely terrible for a long time now.

Not really.

People say that with every new cast.

Also, people remember the great sketches of the past and gloss over the crap that was in every single season.

It's a bit like watching old Monty Python episodes and seeing some of the real duds with skits that aren't in the many compilation shows that have come out since.

In any event, I just PVR it and watch it Sunday morning so I can speed through the rough sketches or the musical acts I don't like.

I did the same as a kid with my old VHS player in the mid 1980s.

As for some of the comments in the thread, it's a bit puzzling to claim that "you don't watch it" and "it's not as good as it once was" in the same sentence.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
As for some of the comments in the thread, it's a bit puzzling to claim that "you don't watch it" and "it's not as good as it once was" in the same sentence.
Not really that puzzling, people don't watch anymore because it became garbage, thus why they stopped watching.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Sure, but then they don't really know if it has improved since, do they?
No, but that's what happens a show turns bad, most people aren't going to give it another shot. It could be great again but I'm not really seeing reviews of that anywhere.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
No, but that's what happens a show turns bad, most people aren't going to give it another shot. It could be great again but I'm not really seeing reviews of that anywhere.

Most people quit SNL when a new cast comes in and they take awhile to figure out their strengths.

In general, TV comedies don't usually hit their stride until their 3rd season.

People said the same thing about Crystal and Murphy and Piscopo, they said the same thing about Hartman and Carvey and Miller, they said the same about Myers and Sandler, about Ferrell and Wiig.

A lot talent flows through those doors, most recently guys like Bill Hader and Bob Odenkirk.

My Dad stopped watching after the Chase and Aykroyd cast were done. "It was never as good, it was never the same."

Most people like the cast that they watched as adolescents and think of it as "peak SNL". It's a bit like how people tend to idolize the NHL period of hockey that they watched in their early teens.

As someone who has watched it for almost 40 years, I don't think the quality has changed all that much. It was never as good as people think it was, and it is never as bad as they think it is now.

There are still hits, misses, breakout stars and characters and topical humor.

Weekend Update is pretty much the same as its ever been, better I think with Jost and Che than some of the earlier editions like Kevin Nealon, Colin Quinn or Fallon and Fey or Poehler.

After Norm and Miller, I think they're probably the best. Early update with Chase and Aykroyd and Curtin wasn't as consistently funny IMO.

I think you can take issue that the format is stale, but in a way, it's the one constant on a show with such a changing cast.

There's always a political cold open intro, there's the monologue, there's a fake commercial, two to three sketches, a musical guest, Update, and then the worst sketches (or bravest) follow with another musical performance and the goodbye.

One improvement I think is less reliance on characters that return every week, like the Church Lady, Hans and Franz and the Roxbury dancing guys. It's easy to whip up another sketch, but the comedic returns diminish pretty quickly after about the 3rd appearance.

I don't really mind if they decide to end it after 50 years, it's a significant achievement in television history and represents a nice closure as opposed to it getting cancelled unceremoniously someday.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad