Sather Banner Raising Dec 11

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Talbot ending up here had something to do with Sather looking out for edmonton.

I swear I read a quote somewhere after the draft where he mentions that he did the deal "to help his old team."

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nedved was Lowe, Slats moved on in 2000.

He was a master at trading though. He had a few duds, but his trading mastery was the reason we were able to stay competitive on a low budget in the 90's. Also the reason for the 90 cup.

It's kinda what saved him as a GM in salary cap world too.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Talbot ending up here had something to do with Sather looking out for edmonton.

I swear I read a quote somewhere after the draft where he mentions that he did the deal "to help his old team."

I mentioned this when Talbot was acquired as well guys.

Congrats to Sather on his retirement and a very well deserved banner in the old building.

I know this isn't the "new arena thread", but does anyone know what is happening there for all this kind of "stuff"? Or is it Batman's secret?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You want to talk about favours, remember when we'd get compensatory picks because he traded Richter and Leetch to us?

What a scam Leetch was, we ended up trading that compensatory pick for nedved and Markannen who we gave to NYR for the Leetch deal.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Sather deserves a ton of credit for knowing what he had and doing the right things with the young players.

For all the flack a guy like Schultz takes you should have seen Coffey defensively when he 1st came into the league, whoo boy.

Sather sent a few of these guys down when they needed it and stuck with them when others wanted to toss guys.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Good, Slats deserves it. Reigning in that group of men probably wasn't easy. What's your favorite Glen Sather trade? As an Oiler? I loved it when he switched Shayne Corson's offer sheet compensation from St. Louis ( 2 first round picks I believe) into Curtis Joseph and Mike Grier. We already had Ranford at this point in time which took some guts to do and the guy got rid of a locker room cancer in Shayne Corson, well done Glen, well done. Signing Free Agents isn't his strong point but man I've loved lots of his deals over the years.

I also liked it when he gave us Nedved, I just wish he would have a couple months earlier and we would have made the playoffs in 04

I'm on my phone so I can't check the year (1999?) but the year the team was kind in the doldrums, struggling with some complacent play and the Essensa/Shtalenkov combo in goal and, just as it seemed the playoffs might be out of reach, he did this:

Mats Lindgren for Tommy Salo

Draft picks for Jason Smith

Boris Mironov and Dean McAmmond for Chad Kilger, Christian Laflamme, Dan Cleary and Ethan Moreau.

Completely remade the team in the space of a week (I don't know if it was actually a week. Seemed like it). Picked up a starting goalie and two future captains. Salo stabilized the net, Smith brought snarl to the blueline, Moreau slid right onto the third line.

You just don't see moves like that anymore.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Sather deserves a ton of credit for knowing what he had and doing the right things with the young players.

For all the flack a guy like Schultz takes you should have seen Coffey defensively when he 1st came into the league, whoo boy.

Sather sent a few of these guys down when they needed it and stuck with them when others wanted to toss guys.

Great post Beerfish.

Same to DisGruntledGoat.

Some newer fans can learn a little from this stuff.

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
Good, Slats deserves it. Reigning in that group of men probably wasn't easy. What's your favorite Glen Sather trade? As an Oiler? I loved it when he switched Shayne Corson's offer sheet compensation from St. Louis ( 2 first round picks I believe) into Curtis Joseph and Mike Grier. We already had Ranford at this point in time which took some guts to do and the guy got rid of a locker room cancer in Shayne Corson, well done Glen, well done. Signing Free Agents isn't his strong point but man I've loved lots of his deals over the years.

I also liked it when he gave us Nedved, I just wish he would have a couple months earlier and we would have made the playoffs in 04

My favourite Sather move was

1989-Nov-02 Detroit Red Wings trade Adam Graves ,Petr Klima, Joe Murphy and Jeff Sharples to Edmonton Oilers for Jimmy Carson, Kevin McClelland and round 5 pick in the 1991 draft

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007

But Coffey was already great offensively. He was already completing some of his patented long bomb passes, hitting a forward in full stride near center, from his own goal line.

Man he was an offensive dynamo.

I would be thrilled if Schultz could become half as good. Coffey was a special player.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sather's last several seasons here weren't very good but some of that was really out of his control. He had to deal with Pocklington's financial collapse and the mess that came with that. He had to deal with 30 bosses in EIG. He also had to try to ice a competitive team other a shoe string budget at a time when the dollar was nearing 60 cents. Most of his team's during that time were better than the ones we've seen here over the last nine years. Remarkable really when you think about it. My huge criticism's of him were what he allowed to happen to the scouting department after he initially struck gold. The Oilers drafting was putrid for well over a decade and through part of that time he was allowing Barry Fraser to operate out of Mexico. There seemed to be a lot of misses in pro scouting too as very little came back when dynasty players were moved out.

All that said though, what Sather built in the early eighties was special. Because of that alone, he is as deserving of a retirement ceremony as any player with a number already hanging in the rafters.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Sather's last several seasons here weren't very good but some of that was really out of his control. He had to deal with Pocklington's financial collapse and the mess that came with that. He had to deal with 30 bosses in EIG. He also had to try to ice a competitive team other a shoe string budget at a time when the dollar was nearing 60 cents. Most of his team's during that time were better than the ones we've seen here over the last nine years. Remarkable really when you think about it. My huge criticism's of him were what he allowed to happen to the scouting department after he initially struck gold. The Oilers drafting was putrid for well over a decade and through part of that time he was allowing Barry Fraser to operate out of Mexico. There seemed to be a lot of misses in pro scouting too as very little came back when dynasty players were moved out.

All that said though, what Sather built in the early eighties was special. Because of that alone, he is as deserving of a retirement ceremony as any player with a number already hanging in the rafters.

Pro scouting was solid during his tenure. So was his performance in the final years before he left.

He picked up Guerin, Ninnimaa, Hamerlik, Salo, Smith, Moreau, Joseph etc through trade in the late 90's. If that doesn't scream solid GM and Pro Sfouting performance I'm not sure what does. That's a pretty nice stable of quality pro players that he managed to bring in without paying a ton in money or assets.

When he was forced to move out our dynasty players he got some nice pieces that set the stage for our stronger teams in the late 90's, snagging Marchant and Weight for aging role players in Tikkanen and MacT.

Drafting (after the mid eighties) was the big miss for Slats when he was here, but his performance otherwise was very strong considering the economic hand he was dealt here.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

I too read somewhere that Calgary actually offered more.

Maybe he knew it would be his last-ever trade and wanted it to be with Edmonton.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I don't feel right honoring people who left Edmonton. I know why they do it, but for me special honors whould be for people who stay in Edmonton or Canada.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't feel right honoring people who left Edmonton. I know why they do it, but for me special honors whould be for people who stay in Edmonton or Canada.

So essentially what our management team looked like the past 10 years should all be honored?

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

except Coffey had it figured out by 25...

Schultz hasnt

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Who stays in your fairy tale honoring?

:S

I can't name any career Oilers who played any significant amount of games.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
As for the banner, I would prefer to see it noted by years 1976-2000 as opposed to a number representing the wins as coach & GM.

I think this could be a good way to honour past players as well who don't get numbers retired. Much like the Eskimos do with the Wall of Honour

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
They should hand out Cubans at the game...that would be rather cool...
Some nice MonteCristo's, or Romeo and Juliets,...oh yeah.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Holy late to the party. Been listening to a lot of Gregor etc and the musings of those who covered the team in the day. Everyone knows I have always been a fan....smart, cocky, loyal to a fault.

Glad Sather is getting his due. He deserves it.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Slats was a master at trading, but what he did with the amateur scouting department sewered the team for about 15 years. Plus, I couldn't stand it that the Oilers couldn't afford to keep players like Weight and Cujo while Sather was collecting one of the largest salaries in the league for a GM at the time.

Still, he should definitely be honored for what he did in the 80s and early 90s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad