Sather Banner Raising Dec 11

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It was talked about shortly after he announced his retirement, good to see them go through with it.

So instead of a number they just put a cigar on the banner?

Diamondillium

DO YOU WANT ANTS!?
Aug 22, 2011
Edmonton, AB
So with both Phillips and Slats getting a banner, would it not be some what allowable to put Smyth's number up?

I do think that the HoF requirement to get an Oilers banner (for players) should be waived for Smyth, simply because of how important he was to the Oilers for so many years.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I do think that the HoF requirement to get an Oilers banner (for players) should be waived for Smyth, simply because of how important he was to the Oilers for so many years.

Players like Smyth (and Lowe as a player) should get on a "Ring of Honour (or whatever)" and retire the Banners for HHOFers or those with very significant impacts on the franchise (Hamilton, Phillips and Sather, though I think the latter two are HHOFers)

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Players like Smyth (and Lowe as a player) should get on a "Ring of Honour (or whatever)" and retire the Banners for HHOFers or those with very significant impacts on the franchise (Hamilton, Phillips and Sather, though I think the latter two are HHOFers)

Yeah. I agree with this.

Make some kind of Oilers Wall of Fame in the new building. Tikkanen, Ranford, Weight, etc. can go up there too.

The "really good player" section.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Well, more so probably his contributions as head coach through most of the glory days.

He was GM too. In his first season as GM he drafted Lowe, Messier, Anderson. In his second he drafted Coffey, Kurri, Moog. In his third Fuhr and Smith. In 3 seasons he added a guy who would at one point be the highest scoring dman of all time in Coffey, the second highest scorer in NHL history in Messier, two Hall of Famers in Kurri and Anderson, a Hall of Fame goalie in Fuhr and a 4 time All Star goalie in Moog, a 7 time All Star dman in Lowe, and Smith who was merely a quality #3 dman. That's just insane, and they had Gretzky to boot. Any GM who oversees that and 5 cups, nevermind coaching, is going to be well remembered.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
Other teams have raised banners for GMs and coaches. Chicago Bulls, New York Islanders (Arbour and Torrey) among others. It's pretty common.

It'll be a great way to get everyone back in town one last time, too.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
He was GM too. In his first season as GM he drafted Lowe, Messier, Anderson. In his second he drafted Coffey, Kurri, Moog. In his third Fuhr and Smith. In 3 seasons he added a guy who would at one point be the highest scoring dman of all time in Coffey, the second highest scorer in NHL history in Messier, two Hall of Famers in Kurri and Anderson, a Hall of Fame goalie in Fuhr and a 4 time All Star goalie in Moog, a 7 time All Star dman in Lowe, and Smith who was merely a quality #3 dman. That's just insane, and they had Gretzky to boot. Any GM who oversees that and 5 cups, nevermind coaching, is going to be well remembered.

Don't forget the very good job he did in the mid to late 90's when he built some pretty competitive teams here with zero money to work with. During the era when money was the biggest factor to building a good team.

Not a coincidence that as soon as he left we began our long, slow demise.

Alberta Oilfire

Jun 4, 2010
Central Alberta
Good, Slats deserves it. Reigning in that group of men probably wasn't easy. What's your favorite Glen Sather trade? As an Oiler? I loved it when he switched Shayne Corson's offer sheet compensation from St. Louis ( 2 first round picks I believe) into Curtis Joseph and Mike Grier. We already had Ranford at this point in time which took some guts to do and the guy got rid of a locker room cancer in Shayne Corson, well done Glen, well done. Signing Free Agents isn't his strong point but man I've loved lots of his deals over the years.

I also liked it when he gave us Nedved, I just wish he would have a couple months earlier and we would have made the playoffs in 04

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Good, Slats deserves it. Reigning in that group of men probably wasn't easy. What's your favorite Glen Sather trade? As an Oiler? I loved it when he switched Shayne Corson's offer sheet compensation from St. Louis ( 2 first round picks I believe) into Curtis Joseph and Mike Grier. We already had Ranford at this point in time which took some guts to do and the guy got rid of a locker room cancer in Shayne Corson, well done Glen, well done. Signing Free Agents isn't his strong point but man I've loved lots of his deals over the years.

I also liked it when he gave us Nedved, I just wish he would have a couple months earlier and we would have made the playoffs in 04

Nedved was Lowe, Slats moved on in 2000.

He was a master at trading though. He had a few duds, but his trading mastery was the reason we were able to stay competitive on a low budget in the 90's. Also the reason for the 90 cup.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton

He was a master at trading though. He had a few duds, but his trading mastery was the reason we were able to stay competitive on a low budget in the 90's. Also the reason for the 90 cup.

He meant that Sather traded Nedved to the Oilers for not all that much (iirc).

Alberta Oilfire

Jun 4, 2010
Central Alberta

I know when Slats moved on thanks.

In 04 I was referencing when he was GM of NYR and he gave us Nedved....

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney

Wall of Honour.

I can't even handle the idea of 7-rings. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad