Satan vs Vanek

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Gotta go with Satan. We got to a cup final with him as our best scorer. We rarely make the playoffs with Vanek as one of our top forwards.

Reactions: Metroid

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
This isn't going to be at all close.

Looks that way. Sorry if this was a bad poll.

I thought it would be closer, they put up similar numbers, but Satan played on worse teams and in the DPE. He also led the Sabres in scoring 3 times to Vanek's 1.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Gotta go with Satan. We got to a cup final with him as our best scorer. We rarely make the playoffs with Vanek as one of our top forwards.

That's a pretty bad argument. The main reason we got a cup final was Hasek. Put Vanek on that '99 team instead of Satan and they're a better squad.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Tough call. Very similar players. Edge Satan.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Satan definitely wore out his welcome by the end. I wonder if that's a big reason why he's losing this one.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That's a pretty bad argument. The main reason we got a cup final was Hasek. Put Vanek on that '99 team instead of Satan and they're a better squad.

No. Satan put up similar numbers to Vanek in the dead puck era. He was the better player.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Satan by a slim margin for me. I had a long reply typed out but it was eaten.

Basically before Satan's disgusting 2003 season where he gave zero ****s and alienated himself from fans and teammates he was better at almost every facet of the game than Vanek. He molded himself into a above average two way player. Something I don't see Vanek ever doing. Vanek to me just has too much trouble meshing with his line mates, nothing is ever "right" for him. At some point you have to stop blaming Lindy Ruff and realize that Vanek is just not that versatile. Something I considered Satan to be.

With that said they're both fairly close. If I was doing an expansion draft I wouldn't touch either player though. Maybe that's just me.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Miro Satan didn't play one second of defensive hockey during his career.

Satan might have been a slightly more gifted offensive player than Vanek, although I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but I feel that Vanek is a better all around player.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
You should'Ve made a Drury vs. Briere poll, but I doubt someone has the guts to do it.

It's close, but I add the ZOMG Vaneks Austrian bias and go with him.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Uhhh... what.

Maybe a smidge of hyperbole, but Satan was not very interested in playing defense most nights here. He started to develop that late in his career, but not so much in a Sabres uniform.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Satan by a slim margin for me. I had a long reply typed out but it was eaten.

Basically before Satan's disgusting 2003 season where he gave zero ****s and alienated himself from fans and teammates he was better at almost every facet of the game than Vanek. He molded himself into a above average two way player. Something I don't see Vanek ever doing. Vanek to me just has too much trouble meshing with his line mates, nothing is ever "right" for him. At some point you have to stop blaming Lindy Ruff and realize that Vanek is just not that versatile. Something I considered Satan to be.

With that said they're both fairly close. If I was doing an expansion draft I wouldn't touch either player though. Maybe that's just me.

You're describing Satan with that? Really? The only way describing Satan as a two-way player works is if the offensive zone is one way and the bench is the other. In that case, yes, Satan was a fantastic two-way player.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Maybe a smidge of hyperbole, but Satan was not very interested in playing defense most nights here. He started to develop that late in his career, but not so much in a Sabres uniform.

Problem is, we are comparing him to Vanek who plays even less defensive hockey.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Problem is, we are comparing him to Vanek who plays even less defensive hockey.

No one is going to confuse Vanek with any sort of defensive genius...but if we were to measure Forward Defensive Aptitude in Satans, Vanek is at least 3 Satans (Hecht maybe a few thousands for comparison).

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I gave the slight edge to Satan, but I could easily flip-flop on this one. Miro edges him in skill, got more minutes, way more PK time and had a lesser supporting cast in a defensive system during the dead puck era; meanwhile Vanek does have the greater offensive numbers (TGF, PGF) despite less TOI and also has less TGA despite no Hasek or dead puck era.

(Hockey-Reference: Satan's stats and Vanek's stats.)

whiplash

Jan 6, 2006
NYC
Objectively, Vanek but absence makes the heart grow fonder and my nostalgia says Satan. I abstain from voting until a viable third party is introduced

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Miro Satan didn't play one second of defensive hockey during his career.

Satan was part of an excellent PK unit for most of his Buffalo career, paired for large parts of it with Curtis Brown.

He was also VERY responsible at ES, and his entire reputation as a lazy mofo came from his last season in Buffalo.

Watching games > hearing something from a random person about a player.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
There is no way to know if Satan was actually a good penalty killer or not, since he was backstopped by Hasek. I certainly don't remember him for his defense, and I doubt he was any better defensively than Vanek. Both of these guys are valuable for one thing only - scoring.

Satan and Vanek each played 7 full seasons for the Sabres (I'm not counting the 12 games Satan played in '96-97).

Here are Satan's rankings in the league for Goals and Points for each year (I think that's the best way to compare offensive players across eras, since scoring changes over time):

'97-'98:
Goals: tied for 55th

98-99:
Goals: tied for 25th

99-00:
Goals: tied for 32nd

00-01:
Goals: tied for 45th

01-02:
Goals: tied for 9th

02-03:

03-04:
Goals: tied for 21st

AVERAGE:
Goals: 33rd

Here are Vanek's rankings:

05-06
Goals: tied for 69th

06-07:
Goals: tied for 5th

07-08:
Goals: 13th

08-09:
Goals: tied for 5th

09-10:
Goals: tied for 31st

10-11:
Goals: tied for 14th

11-12:

AVERAGE:
Goals: 26

However, if you throw out Vanek's rookie year, which was easily his worst, his rankings improve to:
Goals: 18.8

Throwing out Satan's worst year (which isn't as relevant since it wasn't his rookie year), doesn't change his numbers much.

I understand this isn't scientific, but it suggests that: (a) Vanek is a better goal scorer; (b) Satan got more assists; (c) the numbers are closer than I would have thought; and (d) Vanek is more inconsistent than Satan but is capable of being one of the elite scorers in the league. i.e., his best is better than Satan's best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad