Satan vs Vanek

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It doesn't make much sense to compare stats like that with players from vastly different eras. I believe you have the points and goals for 1998 reversed. The fact that Satan scored 40 that year during the dead-puck era and was still only 7th in the league in scoring says it all. Look at the list of players he was among that year. Selanne, Lindros, Jagr, Sakic etc. That's not to say that in 06 when Vanek was 5th he was in the company of slouches but I just don't feel that Lecavalier, Heatley, 37 year old Selanne, Jason Blake and Simon Gagne stack up.

With that said once again i feel both players are very close and I wouldn't take either.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=26809

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At this point, it's closer than the talent Vanek has should make it. I'll take Satan at his best by a hair over Vanek at his right now.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
For some reason, I can't help but remember Satan's career (not just with the Sabres) as watching him and thinking ... Man! If he tried hard most of the season instead of half the season he would be amazing. I just remember him floating out there half the time, and putting in a great effort half the time. In that respect, he reminded me of Alexei Kovalev. And I didn't like Kovalev's effort most nights.

Yea, Satan got his points, but wow IMO he could have done even better with more effort.

Just a thought :dunno:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
For some reason, I can't help but remember Satan's career (not just with the Sabres) as watching him and thinking ... Man! If he tried hard most of the season instead of half the season he would be amazing. I just remember him floating out there half the time, and putting in a great effort half the time. In that respect, he reminded me of Alexei Kovalev. And I didn't like Kovalev's effort most nights.

Yea, Satan got his points, but wow IMO he could have done even better with more effort.

Just a thought :dunno:
I have the same thought about Vanek most nights.

ManuelCalavera

La-La-La-Locked Out
Apr 7, 2003
Rochester, NY
Visit site
Satan easily for me. As streaky as he was, I feel that he was a more versatile player. He had more creativity at both ends of the ice while still being able to find the back of the net. The real question is who is more frustrating to watch? I vote Vanek, simply because he is always pissed at himself for missing every opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad