Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Credit to the Kid Themselves!!

Also a bit surprised no Regina kids. I respectfully disagree that Notre Dame should take much credit for the kids on this list. Those kids would have been there anyways. Credit should be given to the coaches that truly developed those kids for the 9 years leading up to Notre Dame. Food for thought.

I think we can agree to disagree on this one. There are many variables that go into hockey development. Just for argument sake here is my take.

70-75% Is the kid themselves their athletic ability - their work ethic - their love for the game

20 - 25% Coaching - Skill Development Programs

5% Organization that they grew up in.

5% ND/ Mdget AAA or Junior Program they attend etc.

So yes I agree ND had very little to do with their draft status in the overall big picture but I think if you talk to these kids parents they would say it was a factor in maybe their overall draft position but also because of the extra ice time, coaching etc it was also very good for their overall development as a player.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Yorkton will still be one of the top Bantam AA teams in the province this year. Where they hurt yes but not decimated. As I have seen many times in your posts you want more people to be allowed to play AA calibre hockey. Yorkton probably has 10 more kids in this age group that could play on any other AA team in SK. All this does is give 3 or four more kids a chance to play AA hockey.

I think its important that we don't become a society that feels what is good for all should be good for everybody. That is a communist way of thinking. People should have options. One of the beauties of the Canadian hockey mentality is we want a system that creates the best hockey players in the world. Hockey Canadas mandate is to foster this in our hockey system. Hockey academies foster this mentality.

The Americans are becoming one of the up and coming hockey powers of the world!
What kind of system do they have? Its all about the money and personally I have no problem with this because it is this mentality that in the end generates economic power which is good for all.

If WEHP is correct, Yorkton lost its three top returning scorers (McKenzie Welke, Logan Foster, and Carson Welke) and their best defenseman in Jake Kustra. All four were projected to be impact players this year. I think we have different definitions of the term decimated. And yes, I know they have a strong rookie class coming up, but that doesn't replace the loss of four elite veterans.

Am I glad some other kids will get a chance to play? Yes. Do I also feel bad for Yorkton minor hockey and their bantam coaches? Yes. I don't think those feelings are in any way contradictory.

Again, I don't want to paint ND as villains. They do what is in their self-interest. But they're no heroes, either. They gather the fruits of other organization's labors and as far as I can tell, contribute virtually nothing to the overall Sask minor hockey system. If parents/kids want to go to their program, that's great. And I do mean that - it's their choice. But to suggest they - Notre Dame - are needed for our minor hockey system to thrive is just a little too much for me.

As for political/economic models and their relation to successful sports programs, let's agree to disagree. Political arguments in sports forums get pretty boring pretty fast.

Cheers.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
If WEHP is correct, Yorkton lost its three top returning scorers (McKenzie Welke, Logan Foster, and Carson Welke) and their best defenseman in Jake Kustra. All four were projected to be impact players this year. I think we have different definitions of the term decimated. And yes, I know they have a strong rookie class coming up, but that doesn't replace the loss of four elite veterans.

Am I glad some other kids will get a chance to play? Yes. Do I also feel bad for Yorkton minor hockey and their bantam coaches? Yes. I don't think those feelings are in any way contradictory.

Again, I don't want to paint ND as villains. They do what is in their self-interest. But they're no heroes, either. They gather the fruits of other organization's labors and as far as I can tell, contribute virtually nothing to the overall Sask minor hockey system. If parents/kids want to go to their program, that's great. And I do mean that - it's their choice. But to suggest they - Notre Dame - are needed for our minor hockey system to thrive is just a little too much for me.

As for political/economic models and their relation to successful sports programs, let's agree to disagree. Political arguments in sports forums get pretty boring pretty fast.

Cheers.

Just to confirm with everyone that the Welke twins are not attending ND this fall. There was some speculation that they were going as posted on the WEHP site, but that is as far as it got. The only ones going are Foster and Kustra from Yorkton. So Yorkton will still be a strong force without the top end guys. Petruik from Moosjaw has decided again to head to ND. At one point this summer he was on the fence and now has decided to head ND way.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Just to confirm with everyone that the Welke twins are not attending ND this fall. There was some speculation that they were going as posted on the WEHP site, but that is as far as it got. The only ones going are Foster and Kustra from Yorkton. So Yorkton will still be a strong force without the top end guys. Petruik from Moosjaw has decided again to head to ND. At one point this summer he was on the fence and now has decided to head ND way.

Thanks for the update, HNA. Usually WEHP is fairly reliable on the player movement front, but they obviously dropped the ball on this one (and by extension I did too). Good news for Yorkton and the league.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
if wehp is correct, yorkton lost its three top returning scorers (mckenzie welke, logan foster, and carson welke) and their best defenseman in jake kustra. All four were projected to be impact players this year. I think we have different definitions of the term decimated. And yes, i know they have a strong rookie class coming up, but that doesn't replace the loss of four elite veterans.

Am i glad some other kids will get a chance to play? Yes. Do i also feel bad for yorkton minor hockey and their bantam coaches? Yes. I don't think those feelings are in any way contradictory.

Again, i don't want to paint nd as villains. They do what is in their self-interest. But they're no heroes, either. They gather the fruits of other organization's labors and as far as i can tell, contribute virtually nothing to the overall sask minor hockey system. If parents/kids want to go to their program, that's great. And i do mean that - it's their choice. But to suggest they - notre dame - are needed for our minor hockey system to thrive is just a little too much for me.

Cheers.

agreed

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
Incidentally ND has silent sponsors.... If you qualify for financial aid they (the committee overseeing the aid program) notifies sponsors and they provide the assistance. The player never knows who the sponsor is. Period, cut and dry, right from a returning players own mouth. So YES sponsorshipis sought after at ND.

ND does pull top kids out of local programs but heh parents fill your boots. Whatever you think is best. This banter about top coaching is tiring. I know and have coached players who stayed at their local school and local AA, were top percentile in their grade level and excellent student athletes at their local high school. They had excellent VOLUNTEER coaching and are playing junior hockey. All I'm saying is it is a big commitment by parents and never mind the uprooting of the player. What it comes down to is ND provides instant exposure to scouting. This has been said to me time and time again. To which I've often thought to ask the parents exposure for who? You or your son/daughter. The bottom line is a fantastic education is available at public school, of which we all pay taxes. Every kid who plays ND will not make the NHL and at the end of the day this seems to be the reason most send their child to such a school. Minor hockey has become such a money maker in so many areas: hockey schools, spring hockey, dry land training, on and on. Parents, stick with what is working,what is making your child happy and ask for feedback. If your child is consistently a top end player then what you're doing is working. I won't endorse any particular camps but there are a few that are far better than most when it comes to hockey instruction.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
There's nothing wrong with SBAAHL, great coaching, lots of exposure and good competition. Parents don't really need to spend 15k a season either to get it. We have many many many fine players in SK who never went to ND.. Never did excessive traveling... And they play in our provinces true AAA league. It's called SMAAAHL. Some of the finest Elite players from across the province play there.... Do you have any idea how much elite coaching and instruction 15k can get you over the course of a summer?

Your looking at 10K min for Bantam AAA in Winnipeg,

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
city draft

Finally figured out how some of the same players end up on the same teams in the city....head coach assigns parents of kids to be assistants therefore locking there kid up on that team? Correct me if I'm wrong. Was also talking with a first year parent who seemed very concerned about how few 1st year kids would actually make city wide teams, any guesses? Also was very agitated with how many kids are playing in city that don't belong there, feels that these kids steal positions away from home town boys.....wonder if that's true? If it is, it will make for a few interesting phone calls to SHA. What happens if someone is caught playing out of there center? Not just in Stoon but anywhere?

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
city draft

Finally figured out how some of the same players end up on the same teams in the city....head coach assigns parents of kids to be assistants therefore locking there kid up on that team? Correct me if I'm wrong.
My understanding is that this used to happen, but doesn't anymore because head coaches have to wait until after the draft to connect with potential parent assistant coaches. It definitely used to happen, but hasn't for a couple of years.

Was also talking with a first year parent who seemed very concerned about how few 1st year kids would actually make city wide teams, any guesses?
Just guessing, but probably about the same first/second year ratio as your average rural team (~4-5 first year players per team).

Also was very agitated with how many kids are playing in city that don't belong there, feels that these kids steal positions away from home town boys.....wonder if that's true? If it is, it will make for a few interesting phone calls to SHA. What happens if someone is caught playing out of there center? Not just in Stoon but anywhere?
I've heard these complaints before, but haven't seen a shred of evidence to support it. I know of one case a few years ago where SMHA found out a kid from another centre was trying to play in Stoon and they made him leave.

coach kleats

Oct 28, 2009
I think the confusion regarding out of town kids playing in the city stems from the fact that city boundaries go well outside the city and encompass a lot of the acreage subdivisions that are around the city. There are a handful of kids that actually go to school in surrounding communities and but are within the city boundaries and therefor play in the city. I think the extent that the city boundaries stretch to are pretty suspect in some areas considering some of the smaller towns struggle for players but the boundaries are pretty clear.

redtitan20

Jan 22, 2013
boundaries

I think the confusion regarding out of town kids playing in the city stems from the fact that city boundaries go well outside the city and encompass a lot of the acreage subdivisions that are around the city. There are a handful of kids that actually go to school in surrounding communities and but are within the city boundaries and therefor play in the city. I think the extent that the city boundaries stretch to are pretty suspect in some areas considering some of the smaller towns struggle for players but the boundaries are pretty clear.

there are complaints every year about acreage or rural kids playing in saskatoon. the boundaries seem to change or not get checked often enough. sometimes, in the case of divorce, kids live with mom and go to school in surrounding communites but are allowed to decide each year where they want to play depending on where dad lives. stoon this year, small town next...... its confusing

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
What should happen, to deal with it once and for all, is a good ole fashioned stakeout.... For about 2-3 weeks SHA can pay a P.I. To watch little Johnny's every move.... Where he goes to school, where he lives (overnight) and who's driving him around to practices or games.... I'm joking of course... Folks we've got to let this issue die... We all know it still goes on... Anyone paying taxes to an R.M should be playing for their closest rural centre, period. No exceptions. People getting a box number or renting an apartment to claim their kid lives in the city are taking things to extreme.

Penalties for violations: indefinite coaching suspension, forfeiture of wins, player suspension. Problem is SHA would like to make us all believe they are really clamping down but truth be told they don't have any man power to aggressively follow up on this type of stuff.... This usually polices itself with good honest folk coming forward. Unfortunately over the years I've seen it bite those folks in the arse.

TitanJofaDaoust

Jan 21, 2013
I couldn't agree more PokeCheck..

Rather than whining in anonymous online forums, contact SHA and complain. This forum has devolved somewhat into innuendo and misinformation. I for one am looking forward to watching some great hockey that will now have representation from across the province.

Notre Dame scoops players ... get over it.

Some kids/families play out of their jurisdiction - if you have evidence and it bothers you that much contact SHA - don't whine like a baby on this forum.

Can the next post please be in regards to the upcoming season, players, coaches, schedule .. anything that resembles actually hockey!

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Whining.....really? In a form of a question doesn't make it whining, its a question. Why do some find it necessary to call us takers or whiners, and "change the topic", if you don't like the read....close the book. Or better still change the topic by posting something new.

My takes on teams
P.A strengths defense, Markevich, Hobson, scoring Sawchuk, Tait, weakness could be in net...then again maybe not.

City teams....Lots of talent with Holt, Leshyshyn, shewchuk, Mcleod, Vogel, just to name a few, lots of top talent but its the secondary talent that maybe suspect. Defense after Prefontaine, Heidt, my opinion is those kids get split and I don't know of more talent than that....Inform me please? Goalies Henri and Morin will be good but they may have to be, don't know of any other 2nd years, any names? what about 1st years? should see 2 out of 5 in top 5 in league.

Humbolt....just know Gardiner, and know they would love to pick up a 2nd year goalie. SV may have a few of them.

SV strength should be there d and goaltending, only returning fwd is Adrian, d men include Thorpe twins, Wheeler....goalie Grybowski, but hear that competition in large for those spots, maybe he becomes a nb kid again.

NB is a huge draw area that who don't see a lot of kids till bantam, there a little of a mystery team. Obrowsky, biensch, shumanski, Hintz are returners, but in net heard only 2 kids at camp.

Wc, other than tucherer and Bosch its a team tat will have a large turn over on, will be interesting in what they will have to offer....any opinions?

NE...I believe that Tuffs, and Bzdel will play large in how good this team will be, Arps will be pushed this year, cause other than Sawatsky I think depth there will be a problem. then again who knows who will come to camp.

This is my opinion, sorry about south, please weigh in on those teams. My guess is Yorkton and Weyburn to rule, not only in the south but in Sask.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013

Was at ND registration today, seen Foster and Kustra. Also got a look at the registration list, seen some big names including Davis from Manitoba and a tender from PEI they say could play junior now, i'm having a brain fart on his name.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
I think we can agree to disagree on this one. There are many variables that go into hockey development. Just for argument sake here is my take.

70-75% Is the kid themselves their athletic ability - their work ethic - their love for the game

20 - 25% Coaching - Skill Development Programs

5% Organization that they grew up in.

5% ND/ Mdget AAA or Junior Program they attend etc.

So yes I agree ND had very little to do with their draft status in the overall big picture but I think if you talk to these kids parents they would say it was a factor in maybe their overall draft position but also because of the extra ice time, coaching etc it was also very good for their overall development as a player.

Going to ND in your Bantam year raises your stock for the draft, committing to ND for your first year midget prior to the draft raises your stock again. Why ? because ND develops their players and develops the players character. By the way, why the heck doesn't Sask have a bantam AAA league ? You guys are playing Bantam AA which generally means more teams and watered down competition ? Last I checked Sask is getting their ass kicked outside the province.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Going to ND in your Bantam year raises your stock for the draft, committing to ND for your first year midget prior to the draft raises your stock again. Why ? because ND develops their players and develops the players character. By the way, why the heck doesn't Sask have a bantam AAA league ? You guys are playing Bantam AA which generally means more teams and watered down competition ? Last I checked Sask is getting their ass kicked outside the province.

Last I checked Sask was producing more elite players on a per capita basis than any other western province. Thanks though for the ND recruitment spiel.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
My takes on teams
P.A strengths defense, Markevich, Hobson, scoring Sawchuk, Tait, weakness could be in net...then again maybe not.

City teams....Lots of talent with Holt, Leshyshyn, shewchuk, Mcleod, Vogel, just to name a few, lots of top talent but its the secondary talent that maybe suspect. Defense after Prefontaine, Heidt, my opinion is those kids get split and I don't know of more talent than that....Inform me please? Goalies Henri and Morin will be good but they may have to be, don't know of any other 2nd years, any names? what about 1st years? should see 2 out of 5 in top 5 in league.

Humbolt....just know Gardiner, and know they would love to pick up a 2nd year goalie. SV may have a few of them.

SV strength should be there d and goaltending, only returning fwd is Adrian, d men include Thorpe twins, Wheeler....goalie Grybowski, but hear that competition in large for those spots, maybe he becomes a nb kid again.

NB is a huge draw area that who don't see a lot of kids till bantam, there a little of a mystery team. Obrowsky, biensch, shumanski, Hintz are returners, but in net heard only 2 kids at camp.

Wc, other than tucherer and Bosch its a team tat will have a large turn over on, will be interesting in what they will have to offer....any opinions?

NE...I believe that Tuffs, and Bzdel will play large in how good this team will be, Arps will be pushed this year, cause other than Sawatsky I think depth there will be a problem. then again who knows who will come to camp.

This is my opinion, sorry about south, please weigh in on those teams. My guess is Yorkton and Weyburn to rule, not only in the south but in Sask.

Appreciate the northern rundown.

After Prefontaine and Heidt, names you want to look for on the defensive side are Gavlas, Labelle, Binsfield, and Randell. Smith, a first year, might have a chance of getting drafted in the top 10.

West Central had a strong pee wee team last year so I would expect some fairly high end first year talent coming their way.

I haven`t seen him play, but based on last year`s point totals, Poncelet should help Humboldt be somewhat competitive.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012

I do believe in Manitoba this will be the first year for rural teams in a aaa league is it not? Also was wondering at westerns last year WC aa team beat who in the bronze metal final? And finally the glory of all glories ND....lets see raising your stock to get drafted means what, and at what cost....to me it means the loss of my son from a healthy home environment where at 14 he doesn't have to grow up too fast. Please explain development of character to us all? I am definitely interested in knowing how they build more character.

Pontiac

Mar 6, 2009
nah you make some assumptions. Do you know where your 14 yr. old is 24/7??? ND does. Does your kid have at least 1 hr. full gear practice/Day. ND does. Can your kid hang with like minded kids 24/7. Can at ND. ND does the driving, scheduling time, tournaments etc.Some folks think this is worth the $. The current Bantam program is as good as it gets.(my opinion) I was at the college for part of the summer, and spent some time there last winter as well. The program has improved a lot since the 2009 era, when they had some management/coaching issues. Messier has the support of the school, and is a hockey guy.

ND is not for every kid, but I woldn't hesitate to send my son/daughter there.

As for the "draft status" IMHO if your kid is draftable, the scouts will find him, whether in Saskatoon ND, or Plunkett.

Far too much weight is placed on the 'dub' draft. When the dust settles it is a menial thing in the life of a hockey player.

As for SK developing more 'elite' players per capita, could well be, but I don't think any eligible '95 born players were drafted in the NHL draft this summer. There were some that I thought might go late, but didn't see it.

As for the charachter building side, have you ever been to the college? You would have seen the difference in kids is quite obvious.

Last edited:

Friendlyfire

Jan 18, 2013
Really?

If ND is getting the credit for developing kids of good character, they must be REdevolping it, because all evidence points to the fact character is developed many years before 14.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
Last I checked Sask was producing more elite players on a per capita basis than any other western province. Thanks though for the ND recruitment spiel.

Really ???? there are 14 people in Saskatchewan(as per Ab and BC), so per capita you are doing great.....one. As for the spiel... like it or not, that's just the way it is.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
If ND is getting the credit for developing kids of good character, they must be REdevolping it, because all evidence points to the fact character is developed many years before 14.

hmmmm character is developed through out a persons life. Weather you are 14 or 50 you still develop character.

SNIPE

Wheaties #1
Mar 12, 2013
I do believe in Manitoba this will be the first year for rural teams in a aaa league is it not? Also was wondering at westerns last year WC aa team beat who in the bronze metal final? And finally the glory of all glories ND....lets see raising your stock to get drafted means what, and at what cost....to me it means the loss of my son from a healthy home environment where at 14 he doesn't have to grow up too fast. Please explain development of character to us all? I am definitely interested in knowing how they build more character.

wow someone is jaded, ND turn you down ? just kidding. don't freak out. Yes they build character, if you think this is a **** school check the stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad