Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
I just want to clarify, in case I was misinterpreted. I wasn't suggesting the contingent of parent coaches in the GSHL is / has ever been up to any funny business. My point about non-parent coaches was just that there is no incentive to "stack" any of the teams. Why would a non-parent coach agree to anything other than what would give him at least an equal chance at being successful in the league? Doesn't make any sense. Non-parent coaches are less likely to know the kids before hand or have any relationships that would make them want to assemble anything other than the most competitive team. So if you get 5 non-parent guys, you get five guys in it to create the best possible team, which reduces any "side deal" potential.

To summarize: how could "one coach stack one of the teams" if all 5 coaches are in it to build the best team for themselves?

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
SKTN Goalie Situation - Not any Different thant anywhere?

Your theory did not work for Abrook or Reeve the past season and Prefontaine not in the same class. He was on a very strong defensive team with Morin as one of the goalies. I'm not sure where Saskatoon is gonna find 10 goalies. drafts 7 thru 10 wont play much and the team that gets 5 & 6 better have a bunch of goal scorers.

SKTN - Look at my post on South- Lots of teams have question mark in goal?

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
And for all those complainers out there. Try becoming a coach, manager, trainer, etc. because as mentioned on these post most of you are takers in the minor hockey world. Very few are givers. Its always the same people year after year doing these jobs and they get little credit for it.
Scissons is a great coach and hockey guy. Saskatoon is lucky to have him.

Takers hey? What community do you reside in? Try live in a small community were you don't just go to a rink without doing a job. I'll pass listening to someone calling us takers! Towns in our surrounding communities not only have coaching jobs, bust custodian jobs, rink maintenance, ice making, and booth shifts. Parent coaches, probably good in novice through pewee, but really let little Johnny experience someone else pushing his buttons. And yes scissons is a great hockey guy.

NOBULL

Sep 22, 2011
so everybody is talking about this Monarchs from winnipeg on other sites , do we not even come close to the AAA teams ? what do we do in order to compete at westerns ?

TitanJofaDaoust

Jan 21, 2013
so everybody is talking about this Monarchs from winnipeg on other sites , do we not even come close to the AAA teams ? what do we do in order to compete at westerns ?

This has been discussed at length ... short answer ... 'We' do not come within 5 or 6 goals of the top 10 - 15 teams. Until Saskatchewan develops true academies for sport, like Notre Dame, BWC, NSWC, etc. etc. We are playing under a different set of rules.

Consider if our Midget AA teams competed at the Mac's Tourney for a moment. How would they do? That is an approximation of talent level comparison at the Bantam level across the western provinces.

Personally, I hope Bantam in Saskatchewan doesn't go AAA, Dickie convinced me! Previously mentioned programs are extremely expensive and not every kid on those teams gets drafted into the WHL.

Some might argue that Saskatchewan kids receive limited exposure because they are rarely compared against the top kids/programs. This is a valid argument but scouts are a keen bunch and can spot that forward or defenseman that shows he has the knowledge and drive to become better.

I think the word 'compete' should be replaced with 'develop' in most conversations about 13/14 year olds. The top 17 kids in Saskatchewan, whoever they are, would compete with the top teams in Western Canada. But -- having witnessed how good AB and BC AAA Bantam hockey really is at the highest level, one Saskatchewan team may not even crack the top 5 or 10 in Western Canada. This statement might rile up a few of the Dads on here that have '99 or '00 sons playing next year, but until you see BWC or NSWC or SSAC play, you have no idea.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
SBAAHL OK Model

I agree with most of the above post. For development sake SK should not attempt to follow a AAA model for a whole bunch of reasons that have been discussed within this post(pg 20 and other pages).

I have a difference of opinion on the number of teams SK would need to compete at Bantam AAA Level. Currently Winnipeg, Calgary and Edmonton do 4 AAA Bantam teams from their populations. Breakdown for Wpg per capita is 187K per team Cgy is 250K per team and Edm is 200K per team. BC system is wide open so it is difficult to compare apples to apples with BC.
Based on this SK would have to field 4,5 or 6 teams based on our population. I would submit that with this number we could easily compete with the other provinces with the talent pool we have on a year in year out basis. Keep in mind that like any other area there will be good years and bad years based on the talent pool and also where the kids reside in any given year.
Some examples. In the 99 age group if you were to combine the talent in Melville and Yorkton areas ( and no kids leaving for ND) they would be able to compete with any team in Western Canada except maybe NSWC. This NSWC team has an exceptional group of kids in this age group but they where not the team to beat in past years. In the 1997 birth year there was very good talent in SK and in that year all of the teams would have been very competitive.
In my view for our population we have done very well in overall player development with the current model in place. Our Midget AAA programs and Junior A programs are some of the best in the country. Should this change maybe we need to look at changing the model but for now it appears to be working.

lefthook

Jan 15, 2013
So whats the schedule going to look like ? are they playing any cross over games this year ?

Riderzrule

Jul 4, 2013
Does anyone know why sha is stopping sask teams from joining Alberta and Manitoba leagues when there is no other option for different tiers of hockey in their areas. Was passed this year with no consultations with associations being affected.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
So whats the schedule going to look like ? are they playing any cross over games this year ?

Looks like 31 games with crossover with south teams......have already heard complaining about travel from some city parents.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
League Travel

Looks like 31 games with crossover with south teams......have already heard complaining about travel from some city parents.

You have got to be serious! Parents already complaining about travel and the season :cry:not started yet! If you do not want to travel then stay in your city and play tier 2 or 3. Its reality folks. There are parents in outlining areas of cities that travel and hour each way to get thier kid to practice, let alone games. It always seems to come down to certain(not all) city folks complaining about the travel whether it is soccer, football or now the case hockey. Get over it city people(saskatoon). If you want to join the league face the facts. Travel we all do it. If you are from Swift Current or Yorkton, they do a hell of alot more travel than the city folks.:shakehead

Friendlyfire

Jan 18, 2013
If you want to join the league face the facts. Travel we all do it. If you are from Swift Current or Yorkton, they do a hell of alot more travel than the city folks.:shakehead

Your comment presupposes that "parents"were involved in the decision to join the league, this is extremely inaccurate. I think the registration numbers thus far are evidence of how the majority of the parents feel about this decision being made without consultation.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
I've been reading some comments on kids vacating there winter teams to join elite clubs like p.o.e, and norte dame. This is great but what does this really do for these kids? Yes the extra ice time is great, along with training facilities that focus primarily on the game, but do they leave for that or do they leave for the ability to play on a elite stacked team? There are rules set in place to disallow kids to jump teams for aa, why the allowance with these schools.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Your comment presupposes that "parents"were involved in the decision to join the league, this is extremely inaccurate. I think the registration numbers thus far are evidence of how the majority of the parents feel about this decision being made without consultation.

Heard enrollment is quite high....and what does it matter anyways I heard Saskatoon is trying to get a aaa team set up for either this year or next. Either by serious hockey or the Husky program, after the big stink about whether to join or not someone comes up with this plan! Wow! Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the big push is coming from a 2000 parent who believes the elite belong together. In the end if this happens and Saskatoon comes asking to reduce teams I would punt them out for good.....hearing this plan makes me believe that the city thinks there better than the rest of the province...that's sad cause there's alot of great people in the city but there voices are hushed by tyrants who believe there kids to be better.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
Heard enrollment is quite high....and what does it matter anyways I heard Saskatoon is trying to get a aaa team set up for either this year or next. Either by serious hockey or the Husky program, after the big stink about whether to join or not someone comes up with this plan! Wow! Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that the big push is coming from a 2000 parent who believes the elite belong together. In the end if this happens and Saskatoon comes asking to reduce teams I would punt them out for good.....hearing this plan makes me believe that the city thinks there better than the rest of the province...that's sad cause there's alot of great people in the city but there voices are hushed by tyrants who believe there kids to be better.

I couldnt agree with you more! Its all about the cities. It does not matter what sport it is in the end it is all about the cities.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
I've been reading some comments on kids vacating there winter teams to join elite clubs like p.o.e, and norte dame. This is great but what does this really do for these kids? Yes the extra ice time is great, along with training facilities that focus primarily on the game, but do they leave for that or do they leave for the ability to play on a elite stacked team? There are rules set in place to disallow kids to jump teams for aa, why the allowance with these schools.

I believe kids have different reasons to join elite hockey programs. All go for the obvious reason, to get the best coaching,training and more icetime that they may not get staying at home. Some kids may choose to leave thier own towns/teams to get better schooling. I have seen this first hand. You have to remember also that going to POE or ND you are going to a AAA team. In ND case you are playing not ina bantam league but midget. Their has to be rules set forth for our own AA league and playing in your own boundary or closest centre is and always will be set in place by SHA. You cannot compare AAA to AA.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013

At the end of the day you as a parent has to decide what is best for your kid. Is it better for him or her to stay in the city and play within the city or is it better for the player to play against the rest of the province. At some point in your childs hockey if they do progress they have no choice not to travel. Why not now? You as a parent has the final say as to whether or not your child travels to play. But what the best choice? Let me ask you a question? What is the concern about travel? I have been doing it with my boys for the last 8 years. Its all part of the process.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
I believe kids have different reasons to join elite hockey programs. All go for the obvious reason, to get the best coaching,training and more icetime that they may not get staying at home. Some kids may choose to leave thier own towns/teams to get better schooling. I have seen this first hand. You have to remember also that going to POE or ND you are going to a AAA team. In ND case you are playing not ina bantam league but midget. Their has to be rules set forth for our own AA league and playing in your own boundary or closest centre is and always will be set in place by SHA. You cannot compare AAA to AA.

True, but in nd case the best kids aren't even attending there program. There are a few for sure that are elite but without a province wide, sha run league it is a whoever can afford it program. No knocks on nd there program is elite but it is not truly province wide.

hockeyviewer

May 26, 2013
At the end of the day you as a parent has to decide what is best for your kid. Is it better for him or her to stay in the city and play within the city or is it better for the player to play against the rest of the province. At some point in your childs hockey if they do progress they have no choice not to travel. Why not now? You as a parent has the final say as to whether or not your child travels to play. But what the best choice? Let me ask you a question? What is the concern about travel? I have been doing it with my boys for the last 8 years. Its all part of the process.

There are some atom house league teams in rural sask that have to travel up to 3 hours for regular season games and yea you do hear some complaining but people do it if they want to play- no other choice. The NE ( Melfort)team has had players coming from La Ronge for 4 or 5 years now a 4 hour drive one way. The kids like the trip for the most part and if they take a bus it is a great team building and learning experience. Most games in the Sbaahl are on weekends so it doesn't disrupt a lot of school but some Friday afternoons have to be missed. If you want your kid to play sport at an elite some sacrifices must be made by both the parents and kids- it is not a right to be able to play elite. The registration numbers in Saskatoon show that there are enough parents who are willing to play province wide so I don't know if people are just trying to stir things up. It will be a good year of bantam hockey with players going into and out of Saskatoon for the first time.

Hockeynoitall

Feb 14, 2013
True, but in nd case the best kids aren't even attending there program. There are a few for sure that are elite but without a province wide, sha run league it is a whoever can afford it program. No knocks on nd there program is elite but it is not truly province wide.

Everyone goes to elite programs for different reasons. ND is not a Sask team in most part. History shows that yes some do come within Sask but also outside the province and beyond. The only kids that I have heard are going to ND from Sask are Kustra, Milligan and Foster. Have not heard what others are going for sure but these have committed.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011

The decision to join ND and the like is not the kids. Someone may wish to argue that and my rebuttal would be show me the receipt from the school that shows me it's made out to 14 year old Johnny.... Who paid $15K for the year. I don't know any 14 year olds with that kind of cash flow. Parents be wary of big promises from private schools and dreams of big ice time. Often they are just another player unless an exceptional talent so they may not get "equal" opportunity. Not everyone makes the NHL who plays there. 15K is a steep price to pay to be hit in the face with a reality check, moms and dads.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011

Couldn't agree more with this entire post, you're spot on... AAA school in Saskatoon??? And pray tell when would they intend on pulling this altogether?? What "hallowed" school would they be building? Or would they overburden the already overworked Saskatoon high schools??? This sounds like nothing more than a pie in the sky idea. If its being pushed as you say by a 00 parent safe to assume he/she must have a borderline AA kid.... After Saskatoon gets in the league they would pull "elite" kids away for a AAA winter club?? Wow, and just who would they play? Ridiculous already.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011

There's nothing wrong with SBAAHL, great coaching, lots of exposure and good competition. Parents don't really need to spend 15k a season either to get it. We have many many many fine players in SK who never went to ND.. Never did excessive traveling... And they play in our provinces true AAA league. It's called SMAAAHL. Some of the finest Elite players from across the province play there.... Do you have any idea how much elite coaching and instruction 15k can get you over the course of a summer?

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
There's nothing wrong with SBAAHL, great coaching, lots of exposure and good competition. Parents don't really need to spend 15k a season either to get it. We have many many many fine players in SK who never went to ND.. Never did excessive traveling... And they play in our provinces true AAA league. It's called SMAAAHL. Some of the finest Elite players from across the province play there.... Do you have any idea how much elite coaching and instruction 15k can get you over the course of a summer?

Sharpen your pencil my buddy tells me it's 25k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad