Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread II

lefthook

Jan 15, 2013
There are always kids that should have been picked but left off the list , they change the rules when it comes to picking this team every year . Three kids that got hurt and did not play or finish the weekend and they are all on the list ? thought they claim its picked based on that weekend of play ?

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
SHA Top 40

Agreed there are always some kids that should be there that are left off. In my experience though its not the high end kids ie top 20-25. I have seen the rules changed or bended on occasion. Those who think its about the weekend only( Note to SHA who spew this crap) are wrong. Why do you think they wait until after the draft to pick the group? Conner Hayward from NE was injured third game in I believe. This kid is an elite skater and with proper coaching could develop to be a top end talent. Probably best skater in the age group and deserves to be there injury or not.

SK MidgetAAA is a top end league and has a way of separating the men from the boys.
Good on Moosomin if he plays in PA. The kid had great numbers in Bantam on what was not a great team. Unfortunately I only saw him play once last year and could see some tools but he needs to improve his skating to take it to the next level in MidgetAAA next year.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Wasn't even the best defenseman on his team.

Quite honestly the team is picked b4 the weekend starts, and then solidified after the draft. And I truly believe there is a quota for kids from certain centers.

KLMhockey

May 18, 2015
I'm quite dissapointed in SHA. They should be embarrassed. Yes they spew a bunch of crap at the beginning of the tourney that they want each kid to play there game and they will be evaluated based on there performance "that weekend". Right!!! How does the Flaman kid who didn't evan finish one period, and the Hayward kid who played two games make it for a second look? Really.
If you look at the two pools for the weekend only 4 to 5 kids made it to top 40 out of the one pool. Hows that work? Just asking

northernwanderer

Feb 10, 2015
I'm quite dissapointed in SHA. They should be embarrassed. Yes they spew a bunch of crap at the beginning of the tourney that they want each kid to play there game and they will be evaluated based on there performance "that weekend". Right!!! How does the Flaman kid who didn't evan finish one period, and the Hayward kid who played two games make it for a second look? Really.
If you look at the two pools for the weekend only 4 to 5 kids made it to top 40 out of the one pool. Hows that work? Just asking

I counted nine that made it from the weaker pool, one of those being Hayward. Hayward is a top end talent, and in SHA's mind would have made top 42 if he did not get hurt. The reason that 9 out of 42 are from one pool and 33 are from the other is the fact that the south was that much stronger this year, and SHA has a huge thing for saskatoon, and the one pool had the 3 top zones in the south, and Saskatoon in it. There is no denying the fact that the south was that much stronger this year, even Zone 3 won their pool with zone 5,7, and 8 in it. there is nothing in the rules that say it has to be split down the middle for kids to make it from each pool.

Do I believe that it is 100% based on the weekend? No, not at all. But, with the exception of Mossiman, I don't see anything hugely wrong with that list. Majority of the locks for this team are there, and if you ask me I don't see many locks from the north with the exception of Matechuk. Davidson should be there and Matthew Smith as well but they will have to prove it big time. I hope in the end more north kids make it, but they will be in tough

Gnut

Sep 20, 2014
I'm going to agree that the team looks to have pretty much picked before the tourney. i thought it was great hockey all around. Zone 3 was impressive for being a combination of the leagues Bottom ranked teams, final game vs Yorkton-Mellville. The kids heard the 12-0 easy , it's gonna be a blow out chatter in the rink and hotel before the game. Lol the players on the bus were even asking " how the hell did you get here?" Perhaps the B side was a bit easier of a draw, I watched the battles on the A side, however it wasn't draw alone that got them to the A final. lots of overlooked talent on those teams. Hunter Lamb just to throw a name out there, or anyone on thier top D men. I know that zone 3 was riddled with injury on defence for the final and the score reflected that. There were 4 weak goals that left the score lopsided, other than that it was obvious they were outclassed but still were competitive. (I know yorkton Melville were not mentally ready for this game, it was a lock in their minds) im shocked that after all the chatter this year about AA-AAA development that nobody has suggested this tourney is the perfect model. Some players are traveling 300km + right now for practices etc. it might actually decrease travel for a lot of players. Just sayin.

lefthook

Jan 15, 2013
ok name dropping kids or bashing kids is not going to change anything , SHA or whoever was picking the top 42 did take the right kids . The team was picked ahead of time and thats how it should have been explained to everyone. They should be classifying that weekend as a showcase for scouts and leave the sask first program out of it as it has nothing to do with it. In saying that the extra money they are getting from the extra kids in the top 42 is helpful for the teams expenses ( sorry but true ) the kids that everybody are complaining about are there to just make some money and help recover costs . I do feel the program needs to change as we struggle at this tourney every year and all that happens is we piss off lots of parents in the process of making this team

Tigerblood

Mar 16, 2015
Undoubtedly that is partially true. The U16 team will need cash for the trip to Calgary and operating costs. No different from any other organizations pre-camps. SHA did cover the camp cost for the goalie evaluations following the tournament. Granted the families had to pay their own way(fuel/food/accommodations) but no ice/registration costs incurred. Not sure of the general consensus for the goalie camp but I went with low expectations and I was wrong. Lots of good information, evaluators and a great experience (in my opinion) for all goalies attending. I believe the team was 90% picked with the possibility of a few kids to "earn" a spot. Unfortunately many families will be frustrated but that kinda is the "hockey road".

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
BRICK NOVICE Tournament 2015

Looks like there will be some great talent in Saskatchewan in the 2005 age group as the team finished 2nd in the tournament this year. Kalan Lind lead the team and the tournament in scoring. His brother is Kole Lind who will play for the Kelowna Rockets this year. Riley Heidt was also a top scorer and very strong in the tournament based on stats.
Last time this happened was 5 years ago in the 2000 age group and we all know that this years WHL draft had four ofr five kids from that team drafted very high and in first round.
Did not see any of the games but good showing by the team against the best teams and kids in North America.
If anyone was at the tournament maybe some feedback?

lefthook

Jan 15, 2013
Great team the 05 Jr Pats , Dumanski , Heidt and Lind all played most of the time and played good. Team played very aggressive but hard to judge talent as the bench got shortened early. Also missing some good players that did not try out for the team which would have made them stronger. Overall great performance by the 05 kids

ontheside

May 15, 2009
Top 26 listed some real interesting deletions!!! Mcnab, beny.....

More interesting would be the whole SHA process in general. Obviously SHA has different mandate than Hockey Canada.

One would want the best players competing, SHA however has an agenda that only they know what the overall strategy is, but one thing is for sure they continually manage to regress in selection camp process year over year.

They don't even have the zones run the tryouts in a consistent fashion.

Just when you think they can't make any wore decisions from prior years they out do themselves in odd ball selections.

Please someone get McClintock to retire and have him take Gilligan with him when he leaves the island.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
More interesting would be the whole SHA process in general. Obviously SHA has different mandate than Hockey Canada.

One would want the best players competing, SHA however has an agenda that only they know what the overall strategy is, but one thing is for sure they continually manage to regress in selection camp process year over year.

They don't even have the zones run the tryouts in a consistent fashion.

Just when you think they can't make any wore decisions from prior years they out do themselves in odd ball selections.

Please someone get McClintock to retire and have him take Gilligan with him when he leaves the island.

I wouldn't go that far, sha team from last year was pretty well picked I thought...when hockey canada sent there invites out they are the one who needed to rethink there process. The deletion of pachal was a embarrassment on there part.... Best d on sask team and he's omitted.

ontheside

May 15, 2009
You do know that it is SHA that puts forward and promotes the kids to Hockey Canada?

So if Pachal was overlooked or omitted as you said as Sask's Best D, it was a direct result of SHA's assessment of him.

So if you are still of the opinion he should have been there one would then need to ask SHA why they didn't push for him to be there.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
You do know that it is SHA that puts forward and promotes the kids to Hockey Canada?

So if Pachal was overlooked or omitted as you said as Sask's Best D, it was a direct result of SHA's assessment of him.

So if you are still of the opinion he should have been there one would then need to ask SHA why they didn't push for him to be there.

You are wrong.....

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
If you wish to dispute my info on the way kids get chosen for the u17 you will need to visit this topic directly with sha. I will almost guarantee that the kids are given a rating by the coaching staff, it's then up to hockey canada to choose. It's your choice to refute my comment, but it's the truth.

hockeykid87

Apr 7, 2008
Logan Barlage looked real good at Battlefords AAA Stars camp this weekend. Sure hope he plays Midget this year

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Logan Barlage looked real good at Battlefords AAA Stars camp this weekend. Sure hope he plays Midget this year

Maybe looked good at that camp, honest I was there and he will get killed in midget aaa. He wasn't competing against a lot of aaa players there. He's not near tough enough to play against the likes of a big 17 year old, yrs he's big bit he will get hurt.....that's a fact

northernwanderer

Feb 10, 2015
Korczak

big news today, all though have heard rumblings throughout the summer, that Korczak is playing AAA midget this season. What's everyone's thoughts? IMO that is a huge loss for the bantams as they looked to make it a third straight provincial title. The kid is a horse and is a guy who could do it all. Even in his first year he grew to a very good defence man by the end of the year.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
big news today, all though have heard rumblings throughout the summer, that Korczak is playing AAA midget this season. What's everyone's thoughts? IMO that is a huge loss for the bantams as they looked to make it a third straight provincial title. The kid is a horse and is a guy who could do it all. Even in his first year he grew to a very good defence man by the end of the year.

Ya wonder how long b4 he ends up with a concussion? I really don't understand what's the rush to play midget aaa as a 2nd year bantam? Your just asking for trouble with injury and worse yet playing scared. This yorkton team was the best team in sask last year, but he will struggle instead of dominate. So why do it? I truly believe it's the parents pushing.....believing it will increase there draft ranking. News flash!!!!!! Koriluck whether he plays bantam or midget he will be drafted high. So again if you think that not being able to compete physically with 17 year old boys who are stronger both mentally and physically stronger, and consider that pushing him to develop then let him play. Till then suck it up and play where you belong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad