Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread II

lefthook

Jan 15, 2013
Barlage is big and skilled , probably the best 2001 in saskatchewan but i would say not ready for AAA yet. I dont think the idea of him moving is based on not being happy with humboldt ? Daddy would have the coaching job if he stayed as there coach has stepped down already so i would think its more about him playing better hockey. ND or Prep school is a good possiblility

xcoach

Sep 29, 2009
well if he stays in humb the north final and the prov final; well be played at yhe same time sv annd humb winner off them two wins it all sorry non of my sask toon teams have a chance

Tigerblood

Mar 16, 2015
I agree, they are not "unhappy" with Humboldt. His experience with the Mintos opened his and Dads eyes to what better coaching and more ice would do for his development. From what I understand Prep schools too far for Mom right now and ND too much $ even though it's closer. I dont think PA offered him a spot. Maybe after fall camp but I expect he'll be in Humboldt next season.

Not sure what the toon teams will look like next season but surely one of these years they will take a run at the North?

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
If he moves to sv the whole closest center rule is a farce. And truly the whole thing is getting blown out of proportion. He's probably back on humboldt where he belongs, and if not, so be it. He wouldn't be the first kid to leave to try satisfy personal goals and achievements.

Tigerblood

Mar 16, 2015
If he moves to sv the whole closest center rule is a farce. And truly the whole thing is getting blown out of proportion. He's probably back on humboldt where he belongs, and if not, so be it. He wouldn't be the first kid to leave to try satisfy personal goals and achievements.

The closest centre rule works but it doesn't stop people from finding ways around it. So it's a bit of a farce, as I (and I am sure you) know first hand of players "moving" or attaining a
residence within another zone just to play there. Not always easy but some manage to pull it off.

Couple more weeks for these kids(2000's anyways) and some exciting days with the Draft and the top 42 for Sask First.

xcoach

Sep 29, 2009
mart and warem moved players in all the time they had them big teams how do you think warem won the prov two yrs in a row

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
mart and warem moved players in all the time they had them big teams how do you think warem won the prov two yrs in a row

Same way riverkings did......escape draft and load up one team! And add Vogel in who belongs to warman.

northernwanderer

Feb 10, 2015

they did this under the old rules of as long as you were with in the drawing area you got to choose where you played. if the kid lived within both teams, he had the choice. the coaches recruited players, sure, but well within the guidelines. not their faults they put in more time and effort

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Maybe that's the problem with the current structure? Everyone belongs to Warman.

No that's not what I'm saying, we've lost players also to other centres, it's just not warman. And honestly the finger has been pointed time and again to warman and martensville, problem is the city is as guilty as the rest.....so why point it out consistently. Reason being is there more successful, so hence there cheating to achieve that, from a city perspective. You don't like when I point out that the city is a culprit of the same manipulation of addresses and player movement, and in your eyes it's ok cause it's saskatoon? There was a bare minimum 10 players playing in the city this year that didn't just belong to warman....I'm talking minor hockey centres, where a neighbours kid is playing in clavet or dundurn while convenience allows for those to play in city with a bogus address. Ya say what you want....it happens probably more so in city cause there's no realistic way to police it. Just cause top end kids find there way to warman they are the bad guys.

And answer me this, which kid since the inauguration of the league has illegally played in there wrong center? Betcha you won't answer that, cause there hasn't been any!

Last edited:

SaskRinkRat

Apr 1, 2010
No that's not what I'm saying, we've lost players also to other centres, it's just not warman. And honestly the finger has been pointed time and again to warman and martensville, problem is the city is as guilty as the rest.....so why point it out consistently. Reason being is there more successful, so hence there cheating to achieve that, from a city perspective. You don't like when I point out that the city is a culprit of the same manipulation of addresses and player movement, and in your eyes it's ok cause it's saskatoon? There was a bare minimum 10 players playing in the city this year that didn't just belong to warman....I'm talking minor hockey centres, where a neighbours kid is playing in clavet or dundurn while convenience allows for those to play in city with a bogus address. Ya say what you want....it happens probably more so in city cause there's no realistic way to police it. Just cause top end kids find there way to warman they are the bad guys.

And answer me this, which kid since the inauguration of the league has illegally played in there wrong center? Betcha you won't answer that, cause there hasn't been any!
I was kidding.

PokeCheck101

Feb 1, 2011
you know how you can predict game results from imaginary teams and future games? I can predict your response to my post, neat hey?

:nod:

Lol..... Your response to Dickie has encouraged me to gather sufficient strength to continue posting once and a while. Nice to see in my sabbatical that the sbaahl debate rages on.:handclap:

lefthook

Jan 15, 2013
Barlage head coach for Humboldt next year ! put the rumors to rest about him moving i guess

ontheside

May 15, 2009
Sask 1st Top 100

Has anyone seen the top 100 rankings from Sask First tourney?

Why would SHA rank the Top 100, or why would anyone for that matter? As the POE is based on a "Top 40" really only the top 45 should matter, maybe top 47 depending on injuries.

Keep in mind SHA has never gotten this program correct in the past so asking them to get the Top 40 correct is an unattainable feat let alone the top 100.

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Why would SHA rank the Top 100, or why would anyone for that matter? As the POE is based on a "Top 40" really only the top 45 should matter, maybe top 47 depending on injuries.

Keep in mind SHA has never gotten this program correct in the past so asking them to get the Top 40 correct is an unattainable feat let alone the top 100.

Interesting take on top 40....are you saying that most of the top 40 players don't move on? Or are there more that get left off that program that advance to the next level.

Gnut

Sep 20, 2014
Pretty sure you answered my question with two questions. I was asking because I see draft rank lists being released by scouting sites all over the place, I wouldn't pay to see their "opinion" but am of course interested. So did SHA release the top 40-47 list?

nah68

Sep 13, 2012
Pretty sure you answered my question with two questions. I was asking because I see draft rank lists being released by scouting sites all over the place, I wouldn't pay to see their "opinion" but am of course interested. So did SHA release the top 40-47 list?

Well I'd say that on avg the top 40 kids are more inclined to move on, but in saying that there is a large amount of kids that develop later, and are omitted from top 40. But remember it's the top 40 kids at that zone camp in regina, not the top 40 kids that are the best when there 17. That's why our system is the best in sask, we are able to develop it of elite players along the way through the midget system.

northernwanderer

Feb 10, 2015
saskatoon

surprised it has taken this long for the news to come out, but i heard saskatoon won the vote and will be down to 4 teams next season. north should but fairly competitive this upcoming year

Gnut

Sep 20, 2014
Good draft day for Sask players. Congrats to all the boys that got picked up.

Superbowlfishca

Aug 20, 2012
Draft Comparison 2000 vs 1999 Draft Class

Good draft day for Sask players. Congrats to all the boys that got picked up.
This year’s draft was a good one for SK and the numbers are back to where they have traditionally been over the last few years in comparison to last year which was an off year. Good news if we try to compare SK player development to the other provinces. MB however has had two unbelievable drafts in the last few years so they have caught up (maybe passed) SK in their player development. It would be interesting to analyze what they are doing to improve performance that last few years.
2000 1999
1st 5th,7th,21st 6th,8th
2nd 5 3
3rd 4 2
4th 5 0
5th 2 2
6th 4 4
7th 3 4
8th-12th 7 8
Total 33 25
If a discussion around specific players happens I may chip in with “opinions” related to this.
A very good analysis of draft overall was done by WEHP. Many will say the sight is bull in that they are way out with the rankings in many cases but for me it is not about accuracy as we all know the bantam draft is a bit of a crap shoot. What I like about this sight is it is all bantam all the time and overall there is some good stuff on everything bantam through the hockey year.
http://westernelitehockeyprospects.com/bantam-prospects/team-by-team-post-draft-analysis.html

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad