Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
Lets hope wherever the Sting pick top 4 this year the player can impact right away and I hope that the rest of the draft doesn't turn out the way it did in 2016 with Sinclair and his scouting team . I think that year set us back quite a bit

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
So the three to watch for pretty much the entire season has been

Braidy Wassilyn C
Ethan Belchetz W
Adam Valentini C

All totally different players. Belchetz is a HUGE kid at 6'5, 230.

Wassilyn super skilled at 6'2". Seemed to maybe have effort issues at times, but when is on dominates.

Valentini was 5'8 but listed in at the OHL cup at 5'11. Super silky, skilled C.

From only watching clips/highlights & some reports I start off hoping for Wassilyn. But that could change after more research.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
That's big man. Obviously they still might've gotten a star at 4. And there will be guys who go 4-15 who probably become superstars, but there's a bit of a gap at the top & now we ensure getting one of them.

If they hit on the pick & the player becomes a franchise piece to go with such a strong '07 class this team would really be cooking with gas. Most glaring hole was a high end F & hopefully now they get one to go with Brown, Kostuch, Hurt, Barr, Bridgewater, Andersen, Fischer, Doherty etc.

Look forward to the 12th!

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
That's big man. Obviously they still might've gotten a star at 4. And there will be guys who go 4-15 who probably become superstars, but there's a bit of a gap at the top & now we ensure getting one of them.

If they hit on the pick & the player becomes a franchise piece to go with such a strong '07 class this team would really be cooking with gas.
That is the same thought process I have as well. Getting top 3 gets one of Wassilyn/Valentini/Belchetz and with all of them being interchangeable at 1st, 2nd, 3rd, it's a win for everybody! (except the icedogs)

Last edited:

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
I love this for Sarnia ... there is zero doubt in my mind we will be a pretty good squad next year. If Brown Wainwright and Kostuch can progress to point per game players mix with the 2 pick ... a young d core who are all coming back and two really good goalies ... who knows ... Also zero doubt in my mind 2025/26 we will have a juggernaut. We'd be like if Sudbury could play defence too lol. We'll see tho.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I love this for Sarnia ... there is zero doubt in my mind we will be a pretty good squad next year. If Brown Wainwright and Kostuch can progress to point per game players mix with the 2 pick ... a young d core who are all coming back and two really good goalies ... who knows ... Also zero doubt in my mind 2025/26 we will have a juggernaut. We'd be like if Sudbury could play defence too lol. We'll see tho.
yah after last year's class & now picking 2nd we gotta build toward 2026-2027. You could be talking

OAs - Chartier/Doherty/Trade (or Denney)

19- Brown, Kostuch, Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater, Andersen, Luecke. Maybe can convince one of Kosiba/Quinlan/Beamish to come.
18- 1 of Wassilyn/Valentini/Belchetz & whoever else they draft.

Plus they are gonna have a top 10 import pick who could be an elite player. Be fantastic if he was 17 & can take another import + whatever other deals Seca makes by that year.

But it makes 2025-2026 also a fun team. With Wainwright, Young as OAs. Fischer a monster 19 yr old. 07 class all 18. This yr class in yr 2.

Might be a fun couple seasons ahead.

Reactions: davewheeler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
yah after last year's class & now picking 2nd we gotta build toward 2026-2027. You could be talking

OAs - Chartier/Doherty/Trade (or Denney)

19- Brown, Kostuch, Barr, Hurt, Bridgewater, Andersen, Luecke. Maybe can convince one of Kosiba/Quinlan/Beamish to come.
18- 1 of Wassilyn/Valentini/Belchetz & whoever else they draft.

Plus they are gonna have a top 10 import pick who could be an elite player. Be fantastic if he was 17 & can take another import + whatever other deals Seca makes by that year.

But it makes 2025-2026 also a fun team. With Wainwright, Young as OAs. Fischer a monster 19 yr old. 07 class all 18. This yr class in yr 2.

Might be a fun couple seasons ahead.
imo were already built for 2025/26.... 2027 team could be insane if the cards fall our way....just keep bringing in good draft picks and there will be no need to trade young players... just maybe a few second round picks. Imagine the arena if were good for 3-4 years straight... The team would make a ton of money and the arena would be electric. ... make Sarnia a brand like London is...you build brands by winning year in and out.....

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
imo were already built for 2025/26.... 2027 team could be insane if the cards fall our way....just keep bringing in good draft picks and there will be no need to trade young players... just maybe a few second round picks. Imagine the arena if were good for 3-4 years straight... The team would make a ton of money and the arena would be electric. ... make Sarnia a brand like London is...you build brands by winning year in and out.....
It's tough. Cause like I said yesterday a large part of our team in 25/26 will be 18. Hard to win like that if ur not London haha.

But u can buy 2 yr players & have two kicks at the can & wouldn't that be something for this org lol.

Reactions: davewheeler

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
It's tough. Cause like I said yesterday a large part of our team in 25/26 will be 18. Hard to win like that if ur not London haha.

But u can buy 2 yr players & have two kicks at the can & wouldn't that be something for this org lol.
true, I wasn't really thinking about age... good point.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
true, I wasn't really thinking about age... good point.
Cause hypothetically our 2025-2026 team could be something like (numbers are age)

18. 20. 19
Brown-Wainwright-Doherty
18. 17. 18
Kostuch-#2Pick-import
18 18. 19. 19. 19
Luecke/Sim/Lominac/Hall/Denney/

Any upcoming picks will be 17.
19. 18
Fischer-Hurt

20 18
Young-Barr

18 18
Bridgewater-Andersen

19. 19
O'Toole/Omeri

Chartier

Maillet

It's what will create the dilemma I mentioned yesterday. That'll be the last yr of Wainwright (your 1C), Fischer (your 1D), Young (your 2or3D). Be 3 of our best guys. But the other 19s are weak.. especially if Chartier or Doherty don't take good steps.

So u could sell them off. Get a haul of picks + a young player for Fischer to stock up ammo for 26-27 when Brown & Co are all 19 & this upcoming class is 18.

Or trade for 2 yr players that help u in 25-26 & in 26-27. Just pointing out I believe the 2026-2027 season is an OHL mem cup host year.

Wouldn't shock me at all if we wanna throw a bid in. Attendance been great. Should have a good team that yr. If SSM KGN SAG NIA can bid we definitely can & if SAG can host we most definitely can too. If they wanna shell out the money that is. Haha.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Speaking of building. Seca is really honest here. He admits last year's team needed to much & he won't be dealing away as many young players again. Felt the community needed it. Which frankly how could u argue with how the turnout was last yr & this. Without that we'd be 2500 a night still.

I love his honesty man. Always say it. It's refreshing & rare. Admitting a mistake too takes some humility. I still agree with them going for it though. It's just Martone shouldn't of been dealt. If there's one good thing about losing in round 3 is u learn & it seems like Seca & Co did take some lessons.

He mentions to he won't be trading high end young guys for 1 yr rentals. Gotta be here for more. Which goes to my 2 yr player talk. Also says they've tried building up their 05s with Wainwright, Young, Moses & wanna add 1 more.

Now I don't want them to go Owen Sound..just be happy always being there. I can't stand that. Never all in. Never fully rebuilding just aimlessly going. But I like what he's saying. Just gotta execute it correctly. Which is easier said than done.

Last edited:

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Huge imports this year to situate for year after. Bring in 2 and deal 1 at deadline to all in team with under achieving 06 is ky thought maybe a OA to contender. Next year we make playoffs year after is 1st year of 2 peat!!! Goaltending is a must all teams have to have a stud.

cant see us not trading OAs at deadline for assets next year.
Still a ways away but I'm predicting.
Hoping for mailett to push out chartier then we have 2 backstoppers that's key.
2nd pick overall and top 12 pick in Import is HUGE!!!! Let's get Belchetz!!!! Or wassilyn need some size.

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
Letang gets 3 games
Haley gets 2 games
Team fined 2500

All this for putrid, god awful officiating.
Thats what you get for defending your mostly 1st and 2nd year players. Ferguson gets rewarded with playoff games. Look for game sheet Sudbury @ Steelheads tonite . Ferguson AND Burchell wearing the red armbands . 1st game of playoffs boys are always jacked up , see what kind of a mess these 2 clowns facilitate

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Huge imports this year to situate for year after. Bring in 2 and deal 1 at deadline to all in team with under achieving 06 is ky thought maybe a OA to contender. Next year we make playoffs year after is 1st year of 2 peat!!! Goaltending is a must all teams have to have a stud.

cant see us not trading OAs at deadline for assets next year.
Still a ways away but I'm predicting.
Hoping for mailett to push out chartier then we have 2 backstoppers that's key.
2nd pick overall and top 12 pick in Import is HUGE!!!! Let's get Belchetz!!!! Or wassilyn need some size.
I’d prefer Wassilyn, he’s a big boy 6’2 195 that has speed and some serious skill! I’d take Belchetz if Wassilyn goes first. Definitely need a bigger forward to go with brown and Kostuch.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I’d prefer Wassilyn, he’s a big boy 6’2 195 that has speed and some serious skill! I’d take Belchetz if Wassilyn goes first. Definitely need a bigger forward to go with brown and Kostuch.
I agree with Wassilyn.

I'm really torn on 2. I love the idea of Belchetz size but I'm a bit worried how much of it is legitimate skill/IQ/skating & how much is he's 6'5 230 vs kids who mostly are sub 6 foot.

Valentini is nasty. Sick hands. Sweet vision. Solid skating. Has grown a bit. Works hard & most importantly is a C.

There track record tells me they'd pick Valentini over Belchetz. But maybe they'll covet size with brown Kostuch being smaller ish.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I agree with Wassilyn.

I'm really torn on 2. I love the idea of Belchetz size but I'm a bit worried how much of it is legitimate skill/IQ/skating & how much is he's 6'5 230 vs kids who mostly are sub 6 foot.

Valentini is nasty. Sick hands. Sweet vision. Solid skating. Has grown a bit. Works hard & most importantly is a C.

Their track record tells me they'd pick Valentini over Belchetz. But maybe they'll covet size with brown Kostuch being smaller
Ya if Wassilyn is available at two I think we should take him. I could go either way with Valentini or Belchatz. One is a huge dude with skill that’s hard to pass up, the other does have unreal skill and speed, brown and kostuch play hard and I think will player harder and with more edge when they get older and if valentini can do they I’m fine with that. Just can’t bring in guys with tones of skill that don’t play hard and can’t finish a check. Like del bel bulluz. Need guys with skill/speed and abit of an edge for playoffs. Like London had when they beat us.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I've been trying my best to find any & all video, games, highlights of the 3. I honestly like all 3. Can't go wrong. My view on them (I am no scout & haven't seen them a lot)

Belchetz - a monster. he's every bit of 6'5 230. His skating isn't great, but it is not bad for a kid his size. Stride is solid which is good cause once he adds muscle he'll only get faster/more powerful in his strides. Legit skill. Uses his reach a lot. Good not great shot but at that size it'll come. Would like to see him use his teammate more, but at that age he hasn't had too.

Valentini - such a methodical, high IQ player. Shifty, creative & terrific vision. Makes his linemates so much better. So good at drawing defenders to him then hit a great pass to an open teammate. Really solid shot, too. Good on faceoffs, good on the PK which we know Seca, Letang would love. Captain of his team as well.

Wassilyn - Best skater of the three. When he gets going it's great to watch. Great skill. Always trying to make plays. Really good release/shot. Seems like effort can be a bit or miss at times. Certainly an offense first player. Of the three tho he had far worse teammates from what I saw. His ceiling might be the highest of the 3. Also the captain of his team.

I so badly wish Belchetz was a C. I'd love to add his size. But all our young Fs are wingers. Feels like such a necessity to get an elite young C. We are already gonna be a fast team & Wassilyn would just add to that. And in years 2-3-4 he could be one of the faster skaters in the league. Valentini I love cause he makes his teammates better & does all the little things. Just sucks he's sub 6 foot like Brown, Kostuch, Wainwright, Doherty. Tho some could grow and that would be awesome.

Reactions: SarniaStingFan

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Denney GWG to send Stratford to round 3. 8G/1A in 9 playoff games.

How exciting could next year's team be with additions like Wassilyn/Valentini/Belchetz, Denney, #4 import pick, no 2nd but Sarnia has the 3rd & 4th pick of round 3. Gonna have #2 pick in U18 draft where Sarnia's been better than most. Hopefully take a 2nd import too. Up to 5-6-7 new guys to bring more life to the F group.

Should make Hall, Sim, Lominac, Luecke work even harder knowing there spots are in real jeopardy. Hypothetically could be

Brown-Wainwright-Doucette
Kostuch-Import-Filak
Denney-Wassilyn-Doherty
Moses-Luecke-Import

Hall/Sim/Lominac/3rd RD pick x2, U18 pick.

Last edited:
Reactions: OSA

stingwagoner

Dec 31, 2023
Lots of Improving forsure with those guys that are in mix just think size and grit is issue in this group and DS addresses that in off season as well as sign Denney, don't think Sim stays to be honest, if we trade him to London for the Brother connection or he gets traded to QMjHL But whatever happens DS will make this team more of a contender next year and even top 2 in west in 25-26.

Think
Letang has Filak #1 centerman which is huge mistake but we will see if Letang learns at all from his mistakes all season. playing kid like Wainwright 3rd line centerman was mistake Need to push his ceiling for next 2 years
Just My 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad