Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
We’ve had luck at the U18 drafting goalies .
I was thinking that the other day. They seem to have made it a priority to take 1 goalie each one. Picking top 2 is good for that. Could get the best goalie that's been passed up.

Goalies especially can be late bloomers.

I’d rather have a big player on the wing instead of wondering if said player is a natural Center.
We already have enough small guys to play that position.
I've had someone tell me don't sleep on Sarnia taking Di Lorio. 6'1" Centre. One of the best goal scorers in the class. Sick hands & is a hard worker at both ends.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
I was thinking that the other day. They seem to have made it a priority to take 1 goalie each one. Picking top 2 is good for that. Could get the best goalie that's been passed up.

Plus you get another pick if you pick a goalie early.A lot easier that bringing in a 15/16 year old in with no experience against older players.

Reactions: StingUpdates

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022

I've had someone tell me don't sleep on Sarnia taking Di Lorio. 6'1" Centre. One of the best goal scorers in the class. Sick hands & is a hard worker at both ends.
Hey back off!! Di Iorio is a Pete!:cf::D

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
End of the day I have full trust in Seca & the scouts. They've done great work. If they feel somebody other than the consensus top 3 is a better pick at 2 than I'll go with their choice.

Crazy a yr ago when the season ended it was so disappointing & the future looked so bleak but now I'm actually super excited to get back to it. Really think with a good draft, import draft they could be setup for 3 seasons here with a fun team. Not saying they'll be elite next yr, still be so young but I think they could be sneaky solid then the following 2 seasons be fighting for the top 3.

I'll be so intrigued to see how they attack it. Seca mentioned they'd look for another '05. Hopefully use both import picks. Hopefully Denney comes to camp. Gonna have big competition on D. Gonna have competition to fill out the F unit. Decisions in net.

Last edited:

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I’ve read valentini and nyman are the top two prospects to go 1st overall. Wassilyn was in a group of 5 to go after those two. Manny Malhotra kid could be a good pick aswell he’s 6’1 and suppose to go top 5. If he doesn’t decide to go to NCAA like alot of other prospects so far.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Soon that will change when CHL can head to NCAA after they play OA. Going to be a game changer wont lose any players yo US college route.
2025 I'm hearing will be 1st crop heading to NCAA after CHL
It also means players that stay longer than 48 hours at a chl camp can still go play ncaa after. Right now if a player spends more than 48 hours at a chl camp they lose eligibility to play ncaa, that will be changed. So rookies can come to camp and feel the organization out and if they don’t like it they can commit to ncaa.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sarnia will be picking 6th & 72nd in the import draft. Great chance to get an impact player. Not till July tho.

the dog

May 16, 2014
It also means players that stay longer than 48 hours at a chl camp can still go play ncaa after. Right now if a player spends more than 48 hours at a chl camp they lose eligibility to play ncaa, that will be changed. So rookies can come to camp and feel the organization out and if they don’t like it they can commit to ncaa.
Can stay longer than 48 hours. After that you get no expenses as long as you don't play 1 exhibition game

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Can stay longer than 48 hours. After that you get no expenses as long as you don't play 1 exhibition game
Ya I know, but no high end prospects that have good offers to NCAA are going to pay to stay and cover their own expenses at a chl camp. Pretty sure the new rule is going to be if you haven’t signed with a chl club than you are still eligible regardless of playing exhibition games or chl teams covering your expenses for camp. Once you sign with a team eligibility goes out the window until you are too old to play on the chl. That’s my understanding of the new rules

Reactions: the dog

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I’ve heard from one guy the sting will take valentini. And another person told me the sting will take either belchetz or valentini whoever windsor doesn’t take.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I’ve heard from one guy the sting will take valentini. And another person told me the sting will take either belchetz or valentini whoever windsor doesn’t take.
Be my choice haha. I'm sure as the week goes on more rumors will come out.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Honestly have heard a few different things. One was that we really like Malhotra (Manny's kid). He's consensus top 10, top 5 for a few.

Heard we like Di Lorio. Who's a really skilled, scoring C.

either a smoke screen or does seem like we may go away from the consensus 3. Like I said earlier. If Seca & Co believe in the player I'll trust them. They've earned that imo. And from what I've watched Di Lorio and Malhotra are awesome players.

Last edited:
Reactions: rve24 and Jason M

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
Honestly have heard a few different things. One was that we really like Malhotra (Manny's kid). He's consensus top 10, top 5 for a few.

Heard we like Di Lorio. Who's a really skilled, scoring C.

either a smoke screen or does seem like we may go away from the consensus 3. Like I said earlier. If Seca & Co believe in the player I'll trust them. They've earned that imo. And from what I've watched Di Lorio and Malhotra are awesome players.
Better be careful with malhotra, rumours are he’s really considering ncaa route.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Better be careful with malhotra, rumours are he’s really considering ncaa route.
Yah Seca is pretty strong for only taking guys who will come.

OHL4Life in draft thread has us taking Colin Fitzgerald. Another guy ranked in the top 10, for some top 5. Has a stellar OHL cup for Peterborough. Also a C. 6'2"

Reactions: nelli27

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Have heard from someone else Fitzgerald is our guy too. Spent last night watching some of his games & highlights.

If true, he's an elite goal scorer. Has an absolute ripper of a shot. Might be the best in the class. 6'2", good skater. Plays C. From what I saw looked good on draws. Played fairly physical. Absolutely dominated the OHL cup. 8G/5A in 6 games led the tourney. Was named one of the the 3 best Fs.

Be honest from I watched I prefer Valentini. Wassilyn & him are close. Wassilyn better skater, passer. Fitzgerald bit stronger & better shot. If I had to guess they are passing on Valentini because they don't want most of our T6 being sub 6 foot which is fair.

They love when players are trending upwards as the season goes on & I bet they love that about Fitzgerald who got better all yr leading up to like I said a dominant OHL cup.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Sarnia's picks this year
RD 1 - 2nd
RD 3 - 45th
RD 3 - 46th
RD 4 - 81st
RD 5 - 101st
RD 7 - 126th
RD 8 - 146th
RD 9 - 166th
RD 10 - 186th
RD 11 - 203rd
RD 11 - 206th
RD 11 - 221st
RD 12 - 226th
RD 13 - 246th

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The more I've watched (I haven't watched anywhere near as much as scouts or fans who followed all yr) I really am surprised it was made out to be this easy, far & away top 3.

This top 10 is loaded. I see why Seca said he viewed it as an elite top 6-7. A lot of different skillsets which is fun, too. Gonna be some really high scoring Fs out of this class.

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
Sarnia's picks this year
RD 1 - 2nd
RD 3 - 45th
RD 3 - 46th
RD 4 - 81st
RD 5 - 101st
RD 7 - 126th
RD 8 - 146th
RD 9 - 166th
RD 10 - 186th
RD 11 - 203rd
RD 11 - 206th
RD 11 - 221st
RD 12 - 226th
RD 13 - 246th
No Second rounder? Thought I read somewhere that we are getting picks back from the moldenhauer deal?

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
The trade includes seven conditional draft picks: third round in 2022, fifth round in 2023, second and third round in 2024, and second, third and fourth round in 2025. The 2022 pick originally belonged to the Erie Otters.

However, there’s no scenario in which the 67’s receive all seven picks, Seca said

This is taken from a sarnia observer article.

If they don't have that second is it because they traded it on another deal?

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
The trade includes seven conditional draft picks: third round in 2022, fifth round in 2023, second and third round in 2024, and second, third and fourth round in 2025. The 2022 pick originally belonged to the Erie Otters.

However, there’s no scenario in which the 67’s receive all seven picks, Seca said

This is taken from a sarnia observer article.

If they don't have that second is it because they traded it on another deal?
Yah they had deadlines for when they'd get certain picks back. Got some back last yr and dealt the 2nd in the Kyrou trade.

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Sting aquire Flints 4th in this year's draft. For a 4th in 25 and a 5th in 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad