Sarnia Sting 2023-24 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Kids get more and more selfish each year.... tbh it's probably their parents fault.... If you wanna go the NCAA route then do it.... go.... don't play these games... If I'm Sarnia I'm staying the heck away from those guys mentioned.... Also if im being honest the OHL has been asleep at the wheel for years about this issue.... why? because it benefits London... until this starts hurting London the league wont do a thing..... Also, why the heck would anyone want to play on Niagara..... seems fishy.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

I'll be damned I finally figured out how to upload videos here lmaoo.

Here's some Di Iorio highlights. Couple hits which I thought I'd throw in. Helluva shot & man oh man can he make Dmen look silly!

Most have him around 10, but there are a few who have him top 5 & I can see why. Especially knowing he's one of the better 2way players at the top of the draft

From what I've read he thoroughly outplayed Valentini, Wassilyn at the youth Olympics. Not the guy i thought we'd come away with at 2 (assuming reports are true) but definitely excited to add him. Harder to play against than the other top guys & that I really like because u need that come playoffs.

Last edited:

Jason M

Nov 13, 2019
Kids get more and more selfish each year.... tbh it's probably their parents fault.... If you wanna go the NCAA route then do it.... go.... don't play these games... If I'm Sarnia I'm staying the heck away from those guys mentioned.... Also if im being honest the OHL has been asleep at the wheel for years about this issue.... why? because it benefits London... until this starts hurting London the league wont do a thing..... Also, why the heck would anyone want to play on Niagara..... seems fishy.
It would not surprise me to see Wassilyn get drafted by Niagara and then moved to LDN.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
View attachment 849878
I'll be damned I finally figured out how to upload videos here lmaoo.

Here's some Di Iorio highlights. Couple hits which I thought I'd throw in. Helluva shot & man oh man can he make Dmen look silly!

Most have him around 10, but there are a few who have him top 5 & I can see why. Especially knowing he's one of the better 2way players at the top of the draft

From what I've read he thoroughly outplayed Valentini, Wassilyn at the youth Olympics. Not the guy i thought we'd come away with at 2 (assuming reports are true) but definitely excited to add him. Harder to play against than the other top guys & that I really like because u need that come playoffs.
He looks sick, Wicked shot, unreal hands, good skater, has size, drives the net hard and plays with an edge and competes hard. If he’s decent on faceoffs and is responsible in his own end then I fully support this pick.

Reactions: OSA

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
IceDogs' owner "in bed with" his agent.
Being an agent for 15 year olds just seems like such a scumbag profession.... they are not needed at that age.... I remember my draft year having an agent was unheard of and everyone was completely fine.

It would not surprise me to see Wassilyn get drafted by Niagara and then moved to LDN.
and the OHL would be like ok that's fine.

Reactions: honeydripper

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

Agents with grudges and parents (in that order) get more selfish every year. Kids generally don't care where they play

Section5Petes

Nov 14, 2022
i wont have much this year, so much in flux, no one knows anything after 2

theres a heavy rumour about valentini and barrie but thats all
Barrie would be a fun one. With Di Iorio potentially to Sarnia, where does that leave the Petes now?

HkyBeegs3

Mar 18, 2009
Sarnia
i wont have much this year, so much in flux, no one knows anything after 2

theres a heavy rumour about valentini and barrie but thats all
Can somebody please explain to me why we don't take the best available player at 2, and not the best available that we think will play in sarnia. I think its bonkers that the agents and players dictate where they play. Like ,is this not crazy to everyone or is it just me. Let's just start allowing gifts and cash deals to be offered to these kids . Unreal

Reactions: howler2 and Jason M

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Can somebody please explain to me why we don't take the best available player at 2, and not the best available that we think will play in sarnia. I think its bonkers that the agents and players dictate where they play. Like ,is this not crazy to everyone or is it just me. Let's just start allowing gifts and cash deals to be offered to these kids . Unreal
It's really down to do you take the kid you have ranked say 2 or 3 but says he won't report to you & deal with all the nonsense that comes with that or do you take the kid you have ranked 5 that absolutely will report to you.

It's a tough decision. Some cases the kid is bluffing and he eventually commits. Other cases he's dead set and never comes (we experienced this with Tyler Weiss and that set us back massively) & the other option is he'll only report to 2or3 teams in the league so you gotta work out a deal with them.

Seca is a GM who makes it a point to select guys in the draft (import draft too) that will commit here without hesitation. Which for me is better than Nick Sinclair who I liked but he always took the best player despite their commitments & it burned us badly more than a few times.

davewheeler

Dec 5, 2016
Too much risk and drama in my opinion. also you want guys who wanna be here.

TonyB

Oct 1, 2023
Agents with grudges and parents (in that order) get more selfish every year. Kids generally don't care where they play
IceDogs' owner "in bed with" his agent

Most likely drafted by Niagara and traded to London nudge nudge wink wink. See the long list.

Reactions: davewheeler

howler2

Apr 9, 2023
IMHO any player who indicates he will not report in the draft should be elininated from the list period . Enough of these stupid games.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Bummer to move to 2 just for multiple top kids to go elsewhere but we move on. If it's Di Iorio he looks like an incredibly fun player.

I'm not a scout but I'll say Fitzgerald & Wassilyn I didn't completely love. I was more than fine taking them but they really tend to float around. Turn it over a ton. Fitzgerald especially doesn't use his teammates enough.

Still great players & gonna be studs. But I like that Di Iorio is a relentless worker all over the ice. Good C all around & he's a sniper. Type of build/style we need to go with Brown & Kostuch & the type of build/style that works come playoffs.

This all obviously based on us actually selecting him. Haha.

Really intrigued to see if we take a goalie with one of our 3rds. Weak G draft ppl are saying but probably need a 16 yr old G in the system with our current youngest G being 18 when next season starts.

Even what we look for with that other pick. Would love a bigger F. Wing or C don't matter. But obviously those don't grow on trees haha.

Last edited:

stinger94

Jan 8, 2024
Would be totally fine with Di Iorio has some good height, can put on more size, and I thought he looked pretty good in OHL cup granted I watch very little u16 hockey.

I think as hockey becomes more expensive and less accessible for families who are less affluent, the trend of Canadian players going the NCAA route will get worse. These wealthy parents will almost always push their kids to the US college route IMO.

Also Del Mastro called up to blackhawks - awesome to see and not surprising

JuniorHockeyInsider

Nov 22, 2008
Di Iorio is the correct pick. Complete 200 ft player with speed and skill with crazy compete. Wassilyn is the same player without the 200ft game and compete off the puck. You guys will love him. This guy shut Wassilyn down in minor hockey and outplayed him aat the YOG and one of the main reasons why his Vaughan Kings team has been so successful. Winningplayer . Ononly other guy I wouldve considerd here is Valentini.

cupcrazyman2

Jul 13, 2022
His highlights will wow you. Haha. He's fun. I'm honestly not sure why some scouting services have him around 10. But that was also with Valentini, Nyman, Fitzgerald all coming & not knowing Wassilyn, Malhotra would play games.
I heard Malhotra wasn’t a good skater.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad