Sarnia Sting 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I had a feeling Campbell was going to be the odd man out. I wonder if this is a sign that Hoover may return.
Even without Hoover they still have 7. 8 is to many with Campbell. So short term relief I guess but once he's cleared we'll see what they do haha.

Tho can't be to confident he can stay healthy unfortunately.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Never was big on Campbell so this one doesn't sting for me. More than happy with a 5th and 8th. Good move by the Sting brass to let the younger ones with a higher ceiling get the ice time. Hopefully Campbell gets the ice time in KIT. I personally just don't see him being a regular OHLer but I've been wrong once or twice.....lol

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019

Seca on the deal. I do like a lot how this new regime (Seca, Letang) treat the players. Have heard a lot how much of a difference it was in the room & behind the scenes since they took over. No shade to Hatcher (or sinclair) he just wasn't much of a communicator & when he did he could be a bit intimidating lol.

Means a lot when u have such a star studded team like last yr & they speak so highly of the team, organization. Especially guys who come from other teams (Del Mastro, Pastujov, Kyrou)

While it may not mean a ton, that gets around. Agents like working with you, players enjoy there time here & that helps for recruiting. Especially with how they've gotten good at reclamation type guys if they can continue that we'd become a spot guys would love to go if they feel they need a fresh start.

Ultimately gotta win but the culture has definitely improved a ton in just there few years here. Probably the most optimistic I've been about our GM/Coaches in quite some time. Even if u don't like Letang as much as I do feel like he's pretty clearly a better coach than Hatcher was. Letowski not a great HC. Beaulieu was a nut job lol.

Said this a few months ago but there's no reason why can't be a spot guys wanna go. Obviously not on that LDN level, but solid arena, great dressing room now, up to date scoreboard, ribbon etc. NHL owners. Respected HC who's won multple golds with Canada. Finally had a little playoff success lol. Hopefully we are finally building something here & we arent gonna be the lowly Sting so often (after this yr 😂)

Last edited:

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
Pretty good deal for the Sting. Barr, Hurt, and Omeri must have impressed the coaching staff in camp and the two preseason games. Obviously they wanted to have more playing time for the three of them. Although I don't mind the deal, it does bring me back to a problem the Sting have always had. Drafting in the high rounds. A third round pick needs to be an impact player for your team for years and shouldn't be getting beaten out by first year players or inexperienced OHLers like MacDonald and Young. Drafting in the first three rounds remains an issue for this team and we're not going to get out of five year rebuilds if it doesn't improve.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Pretty good deal for the Sting. Barr, Hurt, and Omeri must have impressed the coaching staff in camp and the two preseason games. Obviously they wanted to have more playing time for the three of them. Although I don't mind the deal, it does bring me back to a problem the Sting have always had. Drafting in the high rounds. A third round pick needs to be an impact player for your team for years and shouldn't be getting beaten out by first year players or inexperienced OHLers like MacDonald and Young. Drafting in the first three rounds remains an issue for this team and we're not going to get out of five year rebuilds if it doesn't improve.
For sure. Barr might be our best shot to break the 2nd round curse we've had going on since like 2015 lol. Luckily they've picked well in rounds 4-9 but odds u find high end guys in there are lower than 1-3 (obviously) & it's cost them big time some years they've missed early.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Id assume they're just giving Phillips a chance cause it's "his arena" as the Legionnaires starting G.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Man oh man Brown is buzzing again. 2 pt period. 5 points in 2.1 games.
Lol yeah he’s been scary good so far. Been a pleasant surprise.

How about that A.Leblanc and Moses duo? Both have looked real good tonight. Moses certainly making an impression. Couple slick feeds and awesome forecheck work.

Kids looking good. How about this D tho? Not really giving Windsor much of anything. Surzycia playing extremely well.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Windsor sat most of their vets tonight so im not gonna act like we beat anyone special tonigtht, but man have i been impressed so far in pre-season.

Young D were just terrific once again. They are showing so much composure & confidence for such a young group & is it great to see or what. Fischer & Young i thought totally controlled the game when they were out there. Barr makes so many smart plays for a rookie. Gonna have his bumps but hard not to be excited about his upside.

Bridgewater was really solid (outside one really bad TO) for his debut. Wonderful skater. 1 Yr playing a lot elsewhere is gonna do him so much good. Omeri plays so efficient. Never pushes his limit just plays within his skillset. Love how he QBs a PP. Let him do PP1 imo.

MacDonald wasn't kidding when he said he wants to take the Dillingham role. He threw some beauty hits. Little scare with his knee but seemed good once returning. J. LeBlanc was really good offensively.

Up front Filak & A. LeBlanc dominated. Good to see that fomr 2 vets. Filak has been really good so far. Brown is awesome man. All over the ice, every shift. Relentless & way more skill than i aniticpated & man can he rip it.

Brilliant debu for Moses. 2A, couple nice chances & he put a beating on some WSR guys. That's the type of player we desperately neeed. Just one game though. See if he can bring it every night. THAT is the Doherty i wanna see every game. Use that speed. Being aggresive. He was flying out there. Gotta see more of it.

Another great game from the goalies. Surzcyia man. He's been outstanding since day 1 of camp. Just so locked in.

Like i said a win is what it is vs that lineup, but from a process standpoint really encouraging stuff. The overall effort, backchecking, team D, gap control was all spot on. That is how this team will win games.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Weird how the OHL site does not have Brown listed as a rookie. He and Schaefer are tied with 5pts a top the rookie preseason points leader race. Surzycia sporting the 2nd best save % thus far as well.

Some good consistent hockey by this team early on. Preseason as it may, this has been encouraging none the less.

While I've never been high or low on Letang overall, you gotta give props to him and the Sting bench for getting this group to gel together the way they have so far.

I've been thoroughly entertained through the 3 games so far.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Glad Moses had a good debut. Was a little disappointed when we moved him, not gonna lie. Our problem is that we have lots of other 05 forwards drafted high that desperately need ice to break out of their sophomore slump (Cloutier, Mignosa, Montroy). But Moses really impressed me this camp.

SarniaStingFan

Jul 28, 2020
No Chartier on the lineup sheet again today. Surzycia starting once again with Sean Shanahan backing him up. No Bridgewater on the lineup sheet either. I'm assuming they sent him back to play with Stratford in the GOJHL showcase this weekend

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Chartier must be banged up. Be no reason not to give him minutes. Unfortunate as of the Gs he'd be the guy you want playing in pre season the most.

See if surzcyia can keep his great play going. Also no Brown. Let's hope that's just a night off. Tho you'd prefer that be tomorrow & play him at home but whatever.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
5on5 pretty good. Could have a few goals with some finish. PP tho.. ooof! Brown's absence very noticeable on it lol

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I like Moses. Haha. That kid brings it. Another good effort especially 5on5. Surzcyia playing strong again. See if they can close out a close game.

Not sure how that wasn't instigating. Literally textbook. Great tilt tho

Reactions: honeydripper

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
That had to be the longest pre-season game in years. Christ. But that's a good win! Another good full 60 minute effort. You can see the teams identity already & that's awesome.

- A. LeBlanc has been so dynamite all throughout camp. Looking really solid so far. Brother is really goood offensively, too. Should be on one of the PPs without question.

- Arguably Doucette's best game in a Sting uniform. His speed is dangerous. Just wish he could finish better (Sikic V2 lol). Sick assist.

- Loved Hall tonight. Type of game i hope he has every game once he's comfortable. Assertive, physical, reliable defensively & showed some decent speed, skill on multiple occasions.

- Good for Sim to get 2A. He was annoying some of FLTs guys too. Type of player he can be just hard when he's that small.

- Hurt cost us the first goal with a rookie mistake but thought he rebounded really well. Didn't look shook at all after. Sweet pass by Barr for LeBlanc' 2nd goal. Omeri 1A, +3 & a nice big hit down the wing. Like huim. A lot. The kids are looking alright back there!

- Surzcyia once again a rock in net. He looks like a starting goalie. Has since day 1 of camp. Been really fun to watch.

- Dent (FLTs Head coach) loves to make himself look like a you know what maybe more than any coach in the league. Gotta be the 3rd or 4th time he's started yelling at SARs bench & this was over nothing. Seen him do it towards other teams too. Wonder if he'd have that same energy with Haley without the benches in the way...

- Lastly if this is the type of hockey we get most nights i'll be very happy. Not talking about the Ws or 4-5 goals cause i know those aren't gonna be there most nights, just the effort, compete, hustle, physicality. Been honestly super fun to watch.

One game left tomorrow before the opener. Still not overly optimistic this team can get higher than 8th, but these 4 games have been very encouraging .

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Great interview with Filak in the observer yesterday. Loved what he had to say. Especially taking inspiration from Burke & his work ethic.

Favorite quote tho was the last one about this team: “If we can keep this up in the regular season, just keep this mentality, we’re going to just be – I don’t know a better word to say it – dogs. Just be relentless every game. If we can keep that mentality, we’ll be just fine.”

No better guy on the team to be saying it & it's why I want him as captain. He's literally what they want this year's team to play like. Had a terrific pre season so far. Can tell the work he's put into his shot. Now he just needs to use it more often! Kid is an absolute warrior out there.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Good for these kids eh? Holy are they playing like they’ve been in the league for a year or two already!

Sarnia’s defensive play continues to suffocate teams in the preseason. The PK is relentless. This is the sort of play that I absolutely love to watch. No feet sitting idle, everyone moving, everyone on the forecheck, backcheck….all areas of the game are being played beautifully by this young squad early on. It’s been a blast to watch.

I was waiting for Doucette to do something for me this preseason. Thought his play last night showed what we are hoping for from him. Only thing he couldn’t do was finish. Hope he gets going on a consistent basis. He is someone that should have a much shorter leash then other sophomores.

Leblanc bros turning into favourites already. So many sequences where those two were drivers for extended zone time in Flints end. Moses another good game. Nice tilt! He’s got a lot of untapped offensive potential I think. He’s been a hound dog on the puck so far too. Love it. Really love what Young has shown so far too. He gives me Colton Kammerer vibes, but smoother skater and higher offensive upside.

Sim is going to be that player that I am completely wrong about. He’s already making me eat my words. I don’t think he’s going to let his size deter any aspect of his game in a negative way. Looking forward to see him develop as he gets more comfortable, but I don’t think it’s gonna take long if the last few games are an indication of his drive and determination.

I just don’t see any reason why Surzycia shouldn’t be our #1. We need to move Ben. Idc if it’s for diddly squat at this point. Sarnia has the best one-two punch in net with Chartier and Surzycia as far as potential goes that they’ve ever had imo. Really hope it’s those two as our guys come trade deadline at the latest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad