Sarnia Sting 2018-19 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Rymsha signs entry deal with LA that gives him a better chance to turn pro, so now who are the overagers?
Salinitri, Sproviero are the 2 keeper overagers while the last spot will most likely go to Eliot as I believe we can get a better return from trading Calvas instead of Eliot. Looks like Rymsha is turning pro so it's going to hurt not getting the big return we could have got by trading him. Safe to say this season will be a write off.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
Salinitri, Sproviero are the 2 keeper overagers while the last spot will most likely go to Eliot as I believe we can get a better return from trading Calvas instead of Eliot. Looks like Rymsha is turning pro so it's going to hurt not getting the big return we could have got by trading him. Safe to say this season will be a write off.
At this time last year, I was expecting that team to be a write-off but was pleasantly surprised by them. So I’m not waving the white flag just yet. A few things need to happen if they are to be competitive:
- best players need to stay healthy all year
- Hughes needs to improve focus and concentration, as well as his rebound control.
- Sali, Eliot, McGregor provide leadership
- Hugo & Hatcher somehow find softer, quicker hands.
- Ruzicka somehow adds just a little bit of nasty to his game.
- Hogue improves enough to be a top 4 Dman.
- Rees is ready to be a top 6 forward.
- the young defensemen who spent the latter part of last season in the stands after the Eliot and Dineen acquisitions are ready to play full time minutes. (Kammerer, Jako, Hogue)
- team finds one more trigger man similar to Josling or Reid Boucher of days gone by.

If all these things come true , the team is in the hunt. If none come true, it’s the basement.
Bottom line is that I’m looking forward to it.

Reactions: The Howler

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
At this time last year, I was expecting that team to be a write-off but was pleasantly surprised by them. So I’m not waving the white flag just yet. A few things need to happen if they are to be competitive:
- Hughes needs to improve focus and concentration, as well as his rebound control.
- the young defensemen who spent the latter part of last season in the stands after the Eliot and Dineen acquisitions are ready to play full time minutes. (Kammerer, Jako, Hogue)
- team finds one more trigger man similar to Josling or Reid Boucher of days gone by.

If all these things come true , the team is in the hunt. If none come true, it’s the basement.
you have a lotta ifs, and we all hope they come true... although not sure they are .. Salinitri will be in windsor
Josling is not a Boucher
Hogue is not a top 4 dman unless he gets bigger and faster
Not sure on softer hands for Hatcher... smarter would be my wish
If Rees cannot end up being a top 6, it is a wasted pick.
The jury is still out on Hughes but i agree with your assessment... i however think he overreacts and gets flustered way too easily

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017

The team is in the hunt for what? This team should consider themselves lucky if they get anything higher than 7th place. Hughes is brutal in net but our only other option is mystery named Langevin. Hatcher would be in the QMJHL if it wasn't for his dad owning the team. Rees should be the best player on the team but there is an enormous amount of pressure on him now that Rymsha will most likely be in LA.

Texcanuck

Nov 28, 2017
you have a lotta ifs, and we all hope they come true... although not sure they are .. Salinitri will be in windsor
Josling is not a Boucher
Hogue is not a top 4 dman unless he gets bigger and faster
Not sure on softer hands for Hatcher... smarter would be my wish
If Rees cannot end up being a top 6, it is a wasted pick.
The jury is still out on Hughes but i agree with your assessment... i however think he overreacts and gets flustered way too easily
They have to keep salinitri with Rymsha gone. Too many departing forwards.
Correct that Josling is not Boucher - few are. But I think he will pot 35-40 goals this year.
Hogue can’t control his height but needs to be quicker and stronger than last year. Looking for 2-3rds of a Victor Mete type performance this year.
I don’t think Hatcher’s kid is dumb. Actually he knows his strengths and weaknesses and plays accordingly. Keep the game simple and just play D.

robp1219

Dec 22, 2015
I think it’s safe to say kammerer can play top 4 minutes and after the hlinka tourney I think it’s crazy to say Rees won’t be a top 6 forward on this team this year. And what do you mean Hatcher would be in the qmjhl if it wasn’t for his dad owning this team? I don’t understand the statement

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
I think it’s safe to say kammerer can play top 4 minutes and after the hlinka tourney I think it’s crazy to say Rees won’t be a top 6 forward on this team this year. And what do you mean Hatcher would be in the qmjhl if it wasn’t for his dad owning this team? I don’t understand the statement
The Q is known to take the other 2 junior league's rejects.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Hatcher is not a dumb kid. He lacks the understanding of his weaknesses. He is not fast on his feet and gets burned when he does things he shouldn't. His strength is simple game. hit people. I do think he has gradually improved. Why not give Martin a shot. Our other FA signing Martin did quite well

Reactions: LondonKnightsRule

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The team is in the hunt for what? This team should consider themselves lucky if they get anything higher than 7th place. Hughes is brutal in net but our only other option is mystery named Langevin. Hatcher would be in the QMJHL if it wasn't for his dad owning the team. Rees should be the best player on the team but there is an enormous amount of pressure on him now that Rymsha will most likely be in LA.

I do think you'll find Langevin to be a legit OHL goalie.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
How so? You should give an explanation for a statement like that.

Just from what I've seen in his minor midget year and heard from trusted sources who watched him in Tier II last year. He's an athletic, technically sound goalie who played a key role in getting a young Pickering team to the playoffs as a 16 year old . I also believe he was one of the goalies selected to attend the Hockey Canada camp, so not a complete unknown.

Just to be clear here, I'm not trying to make any big proclamation about an incoming savior in net, just suggesting that I do think Langevin will show he belongs at the OHL level.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Just from what I've seen in his minor midget year and heard from trusted sources who watched him in Tier II last year. He's an athletic, technically sound goalie who played a key role in getting a young Pickering team to the playoffs as a 16 year old . I also believe he was one of the goalies selected to attend the Hockey Canada camp, so not a complete unknown.

Just to be clear here, I'm not trying to make any big proclamation about an incoming savior in net, just suggesting that I do think Langevin will show he belongs at the OHL level.
I have also heard several good things from the organization about Langevin however I believe it's just the team trying to hype the season up. He's extremely small and his GAA went up almost a full point in the playoffs compared to the regular season. His GAA was well over 5 for team black U-17. None of that is promising in any way.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I have also heard several good things from the organization about Langevin however I believe it's just the team trying to hype the season up. He's extremely small and his GAA went up almost a full point in the playoffs compared to the regular season. His GAA was well over 5 for team black U-17. None of that is promising in any way.

In the playoffs they were the heavy underdog against the team that eventually lost in the national championship, and managed to push them to 7 games. From my understanding Langevin was a big reason why that series wasn't the cakewalk it could have been.

He's undersized for sure which may limit his long term potential, but I don't see it preventing him from being a solid OHL goalie. I don't read much into small sample sizes in terms of stats from short tournaments or one playoff series.

Reactions: Ferda11

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
In the playoffs they were the heavy underdog against the team that eventually lost in the national championship, and managed to push them to 7 games. From my understanding Langevin was a big reason why that series wasn't the cakewalk it could have been.

He's undersized for sure which may limit his long term potential, but I don't see it preventing him from being a solid OHL goalie. I don't read much into small sample sizes in terms of stats from short tournaments or one playoff series.

Unless you physically saw him play with your own two eyes you're just talking speculation and hearsay.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Unless you physically saw him play with your own two eyes you're just talking speculation and hearsay.

Meh, there are opinions I value as highly as my own. I will definitely take them over you cherry picking small statistical sample sizes, plus I saw him many times the year before.

You almost seem like you have reason to be defiant of the notion the kid has the ability to play in the OHL. It's just my opinion, relax.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
Meh, there are opinions I value as highly as my own. I will definitely take them over you cherry picking small statistical sample sizes, plus I saw him many times the year before.

You almost seem like you have reason to be defiant of the notion the kid has the ability to play in the OHL. It's just my opinion, relax.
It comes from the conversation of who's a better fit for starter. I'd be very happy if he beats out Hughes for the job.

InSuL1nImP

Feb 11, 2017
@InSuL1nImP I would love to know if you have anything positive to say about the 2018/2019 Sarnia Sting?
The 2001's are going to be fun to watch this year. Season seat sales are up compared to last year which is very good and just what the team/city needs. The Imperial partnership is a really good thing for this city. Hopefully it lasts for more than just this year.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
How often do you see a player return for a OA year after signing with the big club? I assume not too often.

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
If anyone is going to check out the camp today, could you please post a camp roster.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Lot's of room on that roster at the forward position. The more I look at the roster the more I'm in favor of selling. Draft pick cupboard is bare and all the OA's we thought we would have return are turning pro. I think we see Calvas and Salinitri both go by deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad