Sarnia Sting 2015 Off-Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Sarnia has a wealth of young talent on their roster, and should be a contender this season. If management wasted their first round Import pick on a player who had no interest in reporting when they could have made an alternate selection that would immediately improve their team, then that won't sit well with their fans.

Aside from first rounder, may or not be coming, what is the Latta thing? Another Abercrombie payback? And... why would you waste an import pick on a player who will have the same outcome as his brother. If his brother was canadian, wouldn't he be? Seems like a wasted pick unless you are on the receiving end... read between the lines on that one my friends

massey

Sep 5, 2012
Sarnia has a wealth of young talent on their roster, and should be a contender this season. If management wasted their first round Import pick on a player who had no interest in reporting when they could have made an alternate selection that would immediately improve their team, then that won't sit well with their fans.

I believe last year in the draft there was also a player who said he had signed a contract with another team and said he wouldnt report.Guess what:popcorn:

BoxerMax

Nov 6, 2010
Aside from first rounder, may or not be coming, what is the Latta thing? Another Abercrombie payback? And... why would you waste an import pick on a player who will have the same outcome as his brother. If his brother was canadian, wouldn't he be? Seems like a wasted pick unless you are on the receiving end... read between the lines on that one my friends

It's a second rd import pick. Very few 2nd rd picks turn out any good in the CHL. Also, if Zacha returns, and the 1st rd pick shows up, Latta would then be released. Quite possible the only reason the Sting drafted him was because his brother played for Sarnia.

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011
Miika Arponen

@RossyYoungblood Just confirmed from Laine: He’s staying in Finland and aiming to Liiga. Was not contacted by Sarnia before the pick.

Miika tweeted at me saying that he spoke with Laine a while back who said he no intentions of leaving Finland. While that be true, things and situations change as we seen with Zacha last year (as pointed out by our Sting friends).

There's no guarantee that Laine reports but with a "freebie" pick in this draft, I think it's well worth the risk for Sarnia.

Mayday3*

I believe last year in the draft there was also a player who said he had signed a contract with another team and said he wouldnt report.Guess what:popcorn:

The difference here is Laine say nobody from Sarnia ever even contacted him to ask him what his thoughts are about it. They drafted him 100% blind having no idea if he's even willing to think about coming to Canada

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
The difference here is Laine say nobody from Sarnia ever even contacted him to ask him what his thoughts are about it. They drafted him 100% blind having no idea if he's even willing to think about coming to Canada

i think the same was said last year with Zacha....
i expect Latta will be on the team regardless... he is a pet project... and when the GM says the family lines are similar... expect Latta to produce in year 4...

massey

Sep 5, 2012

Sting might not have talked to him thinking there was no way he would still be available at their draft position.I will give them the benefit of the doubt.I also believe you draft the best player available and let the chips fall where they may whether they claim they will come or not.

Latta hopefully turns out.I am sure the Sting has done as much homeworkas possible on him with his older brothers experience.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Sting might not have talked to him thinking there was no way he would still be available at their draft position.I will give them the benefit of the doubt.I also believe you draft the best player available and let the chips fall where they may whether they claim they will come or not.

Latta hopefully turns out.I am sure the Sting has done as much homeworkas possible on him with his older brothers experience.

i am sure Latta will work out... why else would they have selected him?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I'm no goalie scout but saw him @8-10 games last year. Looks like he's got potential. Played well most games I saw. When needed he seemed good. (

Last edited:

hockeyinmyblood

Nov 11, 2014
It looks like Fazio will be seeing the majority of time this year in net, but it will be interesting to see if Hughes gets any action - I'm thinking only a few games. There is still the chance of them acquiring an OA, but I don't think it will happen. The team is looking good.

Sadist

Feb 4, 2008
Detroit
It would be nice to try and get Nedeljkovic from Flint. They aren't going to be very good next year, he may be available.

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010

hmmmm...let me think about conflicts for a second about hockey broadcasts.
Leigh cunningham works for Sarnia Sting and CHOK?
Patrick D works for Sarnia Sting and CHOK?
To me, I would call that unbiased coverage...And for those who can't read between the lines... JK...

dansk55

Jul 30, 2010
Would be a big mistake in my opinion. I think the Devils should push him to stay in Sarnia.

not sure agent is his best choice or would have been a done deal... they are all very standard contracts at this point unless he wants the moon... i can see money being an issue... they might not be able to print it fast enough for him.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

I don't know any reasons why not, Laine can't play in Sarnia next season ( 2016-2017).
Laine's instincts for goal scoring are extraordinary, but his skating issues are major.

Laine will be first round draft pick in NHL next summer.
But because of his skating issues i'm not sure is he ready to play in NHL after his draft summer.

So that's why there's little chance, for that to see him CHL season 2016-2017.
If his NHL team recommends him go to CHL, and learn north american game in Sarnia.

StungbySting

Jun 10, 2011
Sarnia
I don't know any reasons why not, Laine can't play in Sarnia next season ( 2016-2017).
Laine's instincts for goal scoring are extraordinary, but his skating issues are major.

Laine will be first round draft pick in NHL next summer.
But because of his skating issues i'm not sure is he ready to play in NHL after his draft summer.

So that's why there's little chance, for that to see him CHL season 2016-2017.
If his NHL team recommends him go to CHL, and learn north american game in Sarnia.

Why not come to the CHL and work on improving his skating while playing the North American game? If he is willing to put in the time and effort it could raise his draft position.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Why not come to the CHL and work on improving his skating while playing the North American game? If he is willing to put in the time and effort it could raise his draft position.

That would be absolutely best to Laine.
But based on that what Finnish hockey reporter Miika Arponen, told his twitter account he was talked with Laine after his CHL pick.

And Laine told him that no-one in Sarnia Stings team management, hasn't keep contact with Laine before CHL draft.
And that pick to CHL was surprise to Laine.

Main reasons why Laine probably stays in Tappara, is that upcoming season he's getting big role there and much ice time.
Past season tappara lost liiga finals for Karpat Oulu, and they lost 2 their best goal scorers ( Pekka Jormakka and Olli Palola) to KHL.
Tappara coaching staff are planned, Laine will be their 2nd line's scoring winger.

Also Laine must take care his military service before he comes to north america.
Laine has already signed 3 year pro contract with Tappara Tampere last summer ( 2014).
But of course situations can change really fast.

Last edited:

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
Nice to hear Derian Hatcher announce on CHOK that Sting ticket sales are up 14% over this time last year. Lets hope the change in ownership also leads to more improvement on the ice too.

Htchnc

Jul 10, 2015
St. John's, NL
Nice to hear Derian Hatcher announce on CHOK that Sting ticket sales are up 14% over this time last year. Lets hope the change in ownership also leads to more improvement on the ice too.

I can only get to watch them on TV but it will be awesome to watch them live. It will be great bang for the buck especially with so much talent. Wish I was closer :cry:

Stingland

Jul 27, 2013
Congratulations to Jordan Kyrou for making the roster of the Hockey Canada U18 team. What happened to Jakob Chychrun? I thought that he would be a slam dunk to make the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad