News Article: Sarah McLellan's "Where They Stand" feature

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Could you even make the case of getting a different defensive player and a lesser-known forward?

Not necessarily a deal that would happen, but would a deal like Edler and Booth for Yandle and a 3rd be in the ballpark of fairness?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Booth and Edler are both horrible, and almost have negative value. :dunno:

Are you trying to say, you want to move Yandle for a defenseman and low end top-6 forward?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Booth and Edler are both horrible, and almost have negative value. :dunno:

Are you trying to say, you want to move Yandle for a defenseman and low end top-6 forward?

I was more trying to answer the question of what types of forwards we may find available and was trying to suggest that maybe we'd take back a stronger defenseman and a lower tier forward. Booth was probably far too low since his concussion issues (maybe a pre-concussion Booth when he was between 40-60 points).

Last I checked Edler was kind of in the same boat as Yandle - D-man who can give 22-24 minutes a game as a 2nd line pairing. The difference is less offense, but more physicality and some PK time for Edler. Both Yandle and Edler have suffered from declining +/- play. Both have played in the All-Star game. I think Edler would be a more valuable return than other D we could potentially receive in a deal for Yandle, but it would come with a decline in the return at forward. Like I said, Booth is probably too low of a value, in retrospect.

NHL trade values are much more difficult for me to figure out, compared to other leagues.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If Biz is able to build off of what he did this season and can improve in the goon area, then him. However, I believe that his days in the league are near the end and we can do better than him even if we have to spend a little more for that other player(i.e. Carcillo).

"Improve in the goon area"? This whole season was Tippett dialing Biz back from the "goon area," and Biz responded exactly how he was asked to.

And man, if you are asking to have Carcillo back on this team, I have to ask you what you're smokin'... :D

I think we could use someone who is a bit of a pest, but not as his whole role. And I certainly think we could do without a cheap-shot artist like we had with Torres. I like Biz because he's tough and will gladly fight if we want him to, but he also has upside as a fourth-line forward who actually has some defensive responsibility (he did, after all, start out as a defenseman).

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Not a Biz fan. Good guy for the room but there are so many better options for that spot for actually playing hockey. Szwarz, for starters. There are also better energy players and better pests, like Mike Brown.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
"Improve in the goon area"? This whole season was Tippett dialing Biz back from the "goon area," and Biz responded exactly how he was asked to.

And man, if you are asking to have Carcillo back on this team, I have to ask you what you're smokin'... :D

I think we could use someone who is a bit of a pest, but not as his whole role. And I certainly think we could do without a cheap-shot artist like we had with Torres. I like Biz because he's tough and will gladly fight if we want him to, but he also has upside as a fourth-line forward who actually has some defensive responsibility (he did, after all, start out as a defenseman).

Biz is flat out horrible.

The room no longer needs a court jester, since the cloud of relocation etc. no longer looms.

Would love to have a guy like Torres who made things happen AND was more than capable of providing timely points.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Maloney will always have a heavyweight and Tippett will never dress a heavyweight. Paul Bissonnette might be the best healthy scratch in the business.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
We've got to get a guy who can play a regular shift and keep players honest if they want to hit OEL

Yeah, it's appalling that Yandle of all people was the *only* one who took it upon himself to respond after players took runs at OEL or Smith on multiple occasions.

If Tippett's not going to play Biz, Maloney needs to replace him with a more functional tough guy/pest like Brown.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Maloney will always have a heavyweight and Tippett will never dress a heavyweight. Paul Bissonnette might be the best healthy scratch in the business.

I don't think I'm prepared to blame Tippett for what Biz has become, but I see him as nothing but soft. No longer a heavyweight.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah, it's appalling that Yandle of all people was the *only* one who took it upon himself to respond after players took runs at OEL or Smith on multiple occasions.

If Tippett's not going to play Biz, Maloney needs to replace him with a more functional tough guy/pest like Brown.

While it is appalling, it begs the question of how anyone cannot like Yandle? Here's a guy that can't fight, willing to put himself out there for his mates. :shakehead

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Brown is actually a really good fighter, too. He's one of those hundred punches a second guys like Josh Gratton was.

He's not big enough to take on the true heavies. But he's as good a fighter as anyone under 215lbs.

Excellent penalty killer, too. Has been a fantastic defensive forward since college.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Although Brown isn't a heavyweight, he's more than held his own in a scrap against some pretty big guys like McCormick, Jackman, Konopka, Neil, and Thorburn.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Would love to have a guy like Torres who made things happen AND was more than capable of providing timely points.

AND is a total cheap-shot artist AND a repeat offender who's one step away from suspension at all times...

No thanks.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
AND is a total cheap-shot artist AND a repeat offender who's one step away from suspension at all times...

No thanks.

Torres was still fairly effective for us post suspension last season, and he definitely won over a lot of Sharks fans with his play even after many of them swore to forever hate him after knocking out Milan Michalek. Torres also consistently steps it up in the playoffs.

In any case, I'd much rather have a guy like Torres on our team than having to play against him.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Torres was still fairly effective for us post suspension last season, and he definitely won over a lot of Sharks fans with his play even after many of them swore to forever hate him after knocking out Milan Michalek. Torres also consistently steps it up in the playoffs.

In any case, I'd much rather have a guy like Torres on our team than having to play against him.

Well, I was here for the whole tenure of Torres' time with the Coyotes. I almost - ALMOST - got won over too. But then he reverted to form.

Like I said elsewhere, having someone who's a bit of a pest is an asset, even more so when they can legitimately play the game. BUT - guys like Cooke and Torres are liabilities, and even their fans know it. As repeat offenders they are a time-bomb for any team that signs them.

Although I'd take Torres any day of the week over Dan Carcillo.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Torres was hard to play against. Nobody on the team this past season can really lay claim to that.

Soft as hell and light in the ass. The new Coyote way.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Browsing youtube it looks like Lucic is a skilled guy that will fight. Not saying we would get him but I am sure it would be great to have a player like him.

Swat Ultra

~Hockey!~
Sep 23, 2010
Northern NH
Browsing youtube it looks like Lucic is a skilled guy that will fight. Not saying we would get him but I am sure it would be great to have a player like him.

29 other teams agree. His value is insane we are not even in the same world getting him. Lucic is the hardest most skilled nhl player we have seen many years if not ever.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

No thanks.

Anyone player is one step away from a suspension, length of suspension based on history is another matter.

Well, I was here for the whole tenure of Torres' time with the Coyotes. I almost - ALMOST - got won over too. But then he reverted to form.

Like I said elsewhere, having someone who's a bit of a pest is an asset, even more so when they can legitimately play the game. BUT - guys like Cooke and Torres are liabilities, and even their fans know it. As repeat offenders they are a time-bomb for any team that signs them.

Although I'd take Torres any day of the week over Dan Carcillo.

To be fair to Torres, the last 2 hits he was suspended for were considered questionable by many and he didn't get suspended at all this season and that includes a nasty playoff meeting with the Anaheim Galaxy. The question comes down to if the team willing to deal with someone who has the scarlet letter on him despite how tame he has shown himself now?

While I prefer to have other players compared to Carcillo(who seems like an easier catch to get) Carbomb from I remember doesn't have as long of a rap sheet as say Torres or Matt Cooke. Looking at the Carcillo's penalty minutes in regular season play, it looks like he doesn't take as many penalties as in the past. This season between 2 teams, Carcillo has had 100 penalties minutes compared to the well over 200 per season he has had in the past.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/carcida01.html

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
While it is appalling, it begs the question of how anyone cannot like Yandle? Here's a guy that can't fight, willing to put himself out there for his mates. :shakehead

You sure can't question Yandle's effort. He will to anything to win. That is the type of player you want on your team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

No thanks.

That's the type of player we were missing this year. He plays a very similar style to Torres.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'm just gonna throw this out there - adding a pest or a heavyweight is the very last thing that should be on the Coyotes' to-do list. There are other far more important issues to address first.

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
he didn't get suspended at all this season and that includes a nasty playoff meeting with the Anaheim Galaxy. The question comes down to if the team willing to deal with someone who has the scarlet letter on him despite how tame he has shown himself now?

Wow, he made it 12 games with no suspension. How can you count this season when he hardly played? It doesn't matter how the fans feel about how questionable the hits were. The league saw them as illegal hits and that corrective action was needed. Raffi is one questionable hit away from a lengthy suspension.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm just gonna throw this out there - adding a pest or a heavyweight is the very last thing that should be on the Coyotes' to-do list. There are other far more important issues to address first.

While adding a pest is not as high a priority of top six talent, it is a definite need. I don't like the way Cooke playes, he is just too dirty of a player, but guess who is back in the line up after his suspension. He has been to the Stanley Cup playoffs eleven times!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad