News Article: Sarah McLellan's "Where They Stand" feature

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...es-where-they-stand-at-each-position/8740661/

Some interesting notes. My thoughts:

• Goalies: I think getting Greiss back is going to be tough. He's going to want more money and more ice time, and Maloney isn't going to give him either one IMO. I also think Sarah's right - Vizzer and Domingue aren't quite ready yet. Chad Johnson could be interesting given that he impressed in his brief callup two seasons ago.
  • Defense: Mo's gone, I'm pretty sure. And I think one or the other of Stone or Schlemko (or maybe both) is going to get moved for other pieces thanks to Murphy and Gormley being slotted into the mix. Would love Summers to stay but he may want a bigger contract than Maloney will offer. And, as always, there's Yandle. Personally, I'd love to see the Coyotes get a solid veteran D-man to be in the mix with the younger kids. Z seems kind of fragile to put the full load on him.
  • Forwards: Loved Halpern when we signed him but I doubt he comes back; I also hope Maloney doesn't resign Moss, who is serviceable but little else. My boy Klinkhammer will probably be the utility player if he doesn't get moved. As for Vrby... I think all will depend on his demands. I posted elsewhere that his best fit is here in Arizona and he should recognize that after what happened in Tampa. But (and I may be in the minority here) he doesn't bring enough to the table for a BIG payout like he might be looking for. I've been hearing rumors of Maloney being interested in Ales Hemsky for years, but I wonder if he might not look at Milan Michalek to boost the Czech culture a bit if the price is right. And I hope we resign Bissonnette - not just for his Twitter account, but because he's a utility player with some grit and toughness who is easy to put into the press box if they need to.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
As the Coyotes attempt to rework their forward mix, the trade market a better route for them.

I tend to agree with her here, I'm not liking the free agent market much this season.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I tend to agree with Zoolights except about Biznasty. Bis simply isn't nasty enough. He rarely fights now a days, and no one's head is on a swivel when he takes a shift. We need an agitator, a big time hitter which makes the other side pay attention to when he is on the ice.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I'll be mad as **** if Maloney brings back Moss and Biz. I'll even more mad if GMDM if he doesn't allow more of the youth in the system to come in and play next season. Then again, I'll admit that I'm asking for too much here by asking to get rid of all of the dead weight, get more of players in the system to go play for us now, and sign and/or trade for the big name scorers so we can have a team that will at least get us back into the WCF next season.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I really don't forsee any problems resigning Summers - he hit UFA last season and no one picked him up. He looked great during his call up, but it's still a relatively small sample size of play overall for other teams to gamble on. We absolutely can afford to give him a decent raise to 800K a year for a couple of years as a 5/6/7D.

I'd absolutely be incensed if Schlemko is still on this roster over Summers or Gormley next season. Probably doesn't have much trade value by himself, so package him with a pick for a SAH vet with one year left on his deal like Brad Stuart.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Even though Vrbata's production dried up down the stretch (as did everybodies), it's worth noting he finished second in points. Replacing that production won't be easy if we let him walk.

ScottsdaleYote

May 29, 2011
Even though Vrbata's production dried up down the stretch (as did everybodies), it's worth noting he finished second in points. Replacing that production won't be easy if we let him walk.

True, and always remember that Vrbata's worth a couple of points a year in the shootout alone.

MP

Feb 8, 2008
I feel like I've just seen a ghost. Only instead of shaking a chain or turning my lights on and off for no reason, he's posting cogent, thoughtful commentary on the subject of my favorite hockey team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I'll be mad as **** if Maloney brings back Moss and Biz. I'll even more mad if GMDM if he doesn't allow more of the youth in the system to come in and play next season.

I will make a Devil's advocate counterargument - who would you rather have in the press box most nights, Bissonnette or, say, Lessio? Biz is, sad to say, a "disposable" forward - someone who can be healthy-scratched but available. Plus, this year he showed a lot more hustle and presence than some forwards I could name who make a whole lot more money.

I really don't forsee any problems resigning Summers - he hit UFA last season and no one picked him up. He looked great during his call up, but it's still a relatively small sample size of play overall for other teams to gamble on. We absolutely can afford to give him a decent raise to 800K a year for a couple of years as a 5/6/7D.

I'd absolutely be incensed if Schlemko is still on this roster over Summers or Gormley next season. Probably doesn't have much trade value by himself, so package him with a pick for a SAH vet with one year left on his deal like Brad Stuart.

I wouldn't mind seeing Schlemko dealt, but for some reason I get the feeling that they like the guy more than we do. Me, I'd VASTLY prefer Stone in there. He's defensively responsible and has a very heavy shot. Summers would be a great seventh defenseman but I don't know that the depth chart will accommodate him.

But how can we justify spending a BIG payday on Vrbata when he's so streaky? I can't personally justify a huge pay + term increase for him based on a shootout move that people have already started figuring out. I would argue that the money is better utilized as cap space for a better forward through trade. I think Boedker can fill the production void (really, he SHOULD if he wants to get a payday). Maybe I'm wrong, though.

I just don't think Vrby's annual dry spells are helping us very much, as good as he is when he hits a streak.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I wouldn't mind seeing Schlemko dealt, but for some reason I get the feeling that they like the guy more than we do. Me, I'd VASTLY prefer Stone in there. He's defensively responsible and has a very heavy shot. Summers would be a great seventh defenseman but I don't know that the depth chart will accommodate him.

I think it basically comes down to whether they're really going to have Gormley up full-time or not at 3LD. If yes, Schlemko has got to be our 7th D because barring picking up a veteran this offseason, Stone, Murphy, and Summers are all superior options to Schlemko at 3RD, Stone and Murphy obviously because they're natural RHDs and Summers because he has significant experience playing as Gormley's partner on the right in Portland. And all bring a physical complement to Gormley's game.

Tippett would have to have a pretty sickening mancrush to go with Schlemko as Gormley's partner. But considering that Tippett once thought it was a good idea to put pair Schlemko with Yandle and frequently partnered him with Rundblad as well, I'm afraid that this might actually happen.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Tippett would have to have a pretty sickening mancrush to go with Schlemko as Gormley's partner. But considering that Tippett once thought it was a good idea to put pair Schlemko with Yandle and frequently partnered him with Rundblad as well, I'm afraid that this might actually happen.

I think you're giving Tippett a little to much credit here. It's still very possible that he plays the third pairing as Schlemko/Summers. :shakehead

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I think you're giving Tippett a little to much credit here. It's still very possible that he plays the third pairing as Schlemko/Summers. :shakehead

Maloney needs to take the decision out of Tippett's hands then. Waive him, package him for a better defensive vet, or ship him out for a bag of pucks.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I still want to know what forwards people are thinking about in these mythical trades.

So far we think Evander Kane is available. Sick. or a Yandle-Sharks deal which I don't think is all that likely within the division.

Brayden Schenn?

Who?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I still want to know what forwards people are thinking about in these mythical trades.

So far we think Evander Kane is available. Sick. or a Yandle-Sharks deal which I don't think is all that likely within the division.

Brayden Schenn?

Yeah I am not into any of these. As far as trades go:

I would still do Yandle for Skinner, but doubt the Canes would because of Skinner's age. But I don't doubt that could still be a possibility.

I'd consider Tatar for a lesser Dman like Stone + Korpi, or Stone and a 2nd.

Frans Nielson for Stone and a 2nd seems about fair and he could theoretically look great with Boeds. I'd even go for Bailey or Grabner for a similar package.

Brouwer is still enticing. And I'd think about pulling the trigger on JVR for Yandle. Also like Connelly/Killron as both seem like decent options.

I feel like these are more realistic. What do you guys think?

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Don't think Yandle for Skinner would ever get offered. Yandle for Skinner, Kane, Pavelski, or JVR are all pipe dreams for various reasons. But my preferred return would definitely be Pavelski because although he is at his peak while the others are younger, Pavelski is a very established 60 point guy with near-Selke level defense and excellent positional versatility.

I'd definitely consider Stone for Tatar or Killorn. Don't think the Isles would be interested at all with moving Nielsen though for more defense - their blueline is even more inundated than ours. Do think they'll be trying to move Bailey and/or Grabner, although I'm not particularly interested in either.

I have a hard time figuring out what Brouwer's fit would be within our lineup. He had good chemistry with Ribs in Washington, but that was on the PP - the two didn't have great 5v5 numbers. He'd make a pretty beast checking line with Hanzal and Doan, but that line would also be abused by speed.

Last edited:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
I will make a Devil's advocate counterargument - who would you rather have in the press box most nights, Bissonnette or, say, Lessio? Biz is, sad to say, a "disposable" forward - someone who can be healthy-scratched but available. Plus, this year he showed a lot more hustle and presence than some forwards I could name who make a whole lot more money.

If Biz is able to build off of what he did this season and can improve in the goon area, then him. However, I believe that his days in the league are near the end and we can do better than him even if we have to spend a little more for that other player(i.e. Carcillo).

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The interesting thing about Biz is how he is utilized. Much more heavily early in the season and more often at home. I'm not really sure what the thought process is there but he's consistently deployed in that fashion.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
If Biz is able to build off of what he did this season and can improve in the goon area, then him. However, I believe that his days in the league are near the end and we can do better than him even if we have to spend a little more for that other player(i.e. Carcillo).

I'm not sure what makes you think this after he had the best season of his career this year. I mean if he struggled a lot this season maybe, but I thought he was excellent in his role this year. He was solid defensively, forechecked aggressively, and most importantly he was literally the only other player on this team besides Keith Yandle, who would stick up for our guys when one of them got run.

Last edited:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Brayden Schenn?

Who?

Could you even make the case of getting a different defensive player and a lesser-known forward?

Not necessarily a deal that would happen, but would a deal like Edler and Booth for Yandle and a 3rd be in the ballpark of fairness?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
But that was 1 season in a contract year. Plus I want more of that piss and vinegar and Carcillo at least brings that. I know that going Carcillo would mean to head to the other extreme here but he'll do if we can't do even better than him in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad