Recalled/Assigned: Sanguinetti up from Utica (UPD: Reassigned to Utica)

TheWanderer

Nov 15, 2013
Corrado seems to have flopped.

Anyways, Sanguinetti can't be all that much worse than Bieksa has been so far this season.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
I hope gets a chance to play. He was my darkhorse pick to make the team as a #7 d-man over Weber.

LaVar

Jul 31, 2013
Can someone explain how he scored 50 points in 60 games in the AHL in 2011-2012?

Did he get switched to forward?

You'd think that someone would have put a player with elite AHL numbers somewhere on their roster.

Brennan had 72 in 76 last season and is in the AHL again this season.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Can't wait for the dreaded Pizza-Spaghetti combo.

That's a spicy meatball!
Punch-Out_ARC_Pizza_Pasta_banner.png

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Corrado seems to have flopped.

Anyways, Sanguinetti can't be all that much worse than Bieksa has been so far this season.

I ain't ready to write him off yet. Not all defensemen have a progression like Edler or Tanev. Some guys just take longer.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
I ain't ready to write him off yet. Not all defensemen have a progression like Edler or Tanev. Some guys just take longer.

It's just weird how he came in as a rookie looking so strong and impressive his first call up that lead to him sticking for the playoffs. His regression since then is concerning.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
It's just weird how he came in as a rookie looking so strong and impressive his first call up that lead to him sticking for the playoffs. His regression since then is concerning.

Sure it's a bit alarming but it's also to be expected of developing prospects. You'll have up and down periods - which is why if found it amusing some people were penciling him in the Canucks lineup at the start of the year when he had an uneven year last year in Uttica.

I still think he'll turn it around.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Just a quick glance. Bobby is a very good skater, handles the puck well, headmans it whenever it's there, can carry it up the ice, good passer, decent shot, plays the man well, and keeps the man outside. All standard qualities for a defenseman. That has been his consistent nightly output in Utica. He has been head and shoulders above Frankie. I would expect that of a 26 year old veteran with past good numbers vs a second year guy who didn't exactly shine last season or in camp this season and is still up and down in his play. Would have rather seen Vancouver take Corrado as Sanguinetti has been that good for the Comets. That in itself is my verification of Bobby's play.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
This CA article says he played with "terrible teammates" during his stint with the Hurricanes in 2012-13 but I'm not sure where they get that from. Certainly not BtN (as far as I understand how the QoT stat works).

He posted a pretty insane Corsi in albeit highly sheltered minutes, but you wonder if there's something there.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Just a quick glance. Bobby is a very good skater, handles the puck well, headmans it whenever it's there, can carry it up the ice, good passer, decent shot, plays the man well, and keeps the man outside. All standard qualities for a defenseman. That has been his consistent nightly output in Utica. He has been head and shoulders above Frankie. I would expect that of a 26 year old veteran with past good numbers vs a second year guy who didn't exactly shine last season or in camp this season and is still up and down in his play. Would have rather seen Vancouver take Corrado as Sanguinetti has been that good for the Comets. That in itself is my verification of Bobby's play.

Thanks for the firsthand report. Most of us can only see his stats...which are impressive. Maybe this is another Benning win...

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Been following BS since his call up by the Hurricanes, mostly due to him being one of my fantasy prospects years ago. What frustrates me is that he had the tools to be a regular in the NHL, but Carolina failed to allow him the opportunity. Now, it's not entirely their fault as they had other prospects that they wanted to develop ahead of him in the NHL like McBain, Joslin, Faulk. Joslin ahead of Sanguinetti was something that I facepalmed but that was their decision.

I hope that BS gives the Nucks a solid outing/performance. I've always been rooting for this guy to make the NHL. He's not going to be 'the saviour', but he may just become a serviceable solid 6th/7th guy.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
So here's a question...

Does he have to clear waivers to be sent back down?

i.e. is this essentially a free showcase for the kid. with how well he's put up points on a 1st place Utica team.. i'm sure he's been noticed by a few scouts out there...

New rules i believe = 10 games/30 days (total so it adds up each time).

Also i wouldn't call him a "kid" because he really isn't a prospect. He's a very good depth option and i agree that if he needs to clear waivers again, he probably won't clear 'cause he's useful depth to have.

At this point, i would put Corrado probably 10th or 11th in terms of the Dman depth chart with Andersson (Sanguinetti's partner and probably 2nd best dman on Utica so far this season) and Biega ahead of him. You could even argue Tommernes ahead of Corrado if you really wanted to. Honestly i don't know what happened to Corrado but it seems like he's regressing more than progressing...

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Been following BS since his call up by the Hurricanes, mostly due to him being one of my fantasy prospects years ago. What frustrates me is that he had the tools to be a regular in the NHL, but Carolina failed to allow him the opportunity. Now, it's not entirely their fault as they had other prospects that they wanted to develop ahead of him in the NHL like McBain, Joslin, Faulk. Joslin ahead of Sanguinetti was something that I facepalmed but that was their decision.

I hope that BS gives the Nucks a solid outing/performance. I've always been rooting for this guy to make the NHL. He's not going to be 'the saviour', but he may just become a serviceable solid 6th/7th guy.

Is he confirmed for tonight?

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Likely scratched tonight per The Sun.

That's disappointing. Thought that might be the case. Didn't Corrado get called up early this year just to be sent down a few days later without getting a sniff? I'd like to see how Sanguinetti compares to Weber...

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
That's disappointing. Thought that might be the case. Didn't Corrado get called up early this year just to be sent down a few days later without getting a sniff? I'd like to see how Sanguinetti compares to Weber...

I'd say it's easily Weber > Sanguinetti overall at this point.

But, in style comparisons and other comparisons, yeah it'd be interesting just to see out there.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Weber has impressed me; I thought he would be the first depth player to drop. It's probably a good thing that we aren't dressing our AHL call-ups but it's also consequently a good thing that we are lamenting their misfortune.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010

Corrado was called up for insurance because i believe at the time KB3 was DTD and Stanton was already out. Since there was a chance KB3 couldn't play, it makes sense to have some insurance.

I'd say it's easily Weber > Sanguinetti overall at this point.

But, in style comparisons and other comparisons, yeah it'd be interesting just to see out there.

I wouldn't be so sure. This isn't to say Weber has not been good (actually i think he has been great so far this year... easily a good option as a bottom pairing dman and useful on the PP).

Sanguinetti has looked VERY good in Utica. To a point where you wonder why he isn't given another chance in the NHL. He has some advantages over Weber in that he's quite a bit taller, just as good of a skater and likely just as good offensively.

I agree that Weber is ahead of him in the depth charts but i wouldn't assume Weber is the better player at this point. Sanguinetti is someone i hope we bring back next year as depth. We could use it since our D "prospects" all seen to be a while away (more so with Corrado's lack of development). We really don't have any NHL "ready" prospect anymore.

Weber has impressed me; I thought he would be the first depth player to drop. It's probably a good thing that we aren't dressing our AHL call-ups but it's also consequently a good thing that we are lamenting their misfortune.

Sanguinetti is probably as good of an option as you'll find for someone who's #8 on the depth chart. He has some NHL experience, is still young, and has very good puck skills. The move to sign him looks better and better considering how Corrado has been doing. Playing with Sanguinetti has also made Andersson look very good... not sure if its Sanguinetti or part of Andersson's development but it'll be interesting to see him play without Sanguinetti to see how he does on his own.

Without a doubt a better option than Alberts, who was our #8 for the past few years.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
I wouldn't be so sure. This isn't to say Weber has not been good (actually i think he has been great so far this year... easily a good option as a bottom pairing dman and useful on the PP).

Sanguinetti has looked VERY good in Utica. To a point where you wonder why he isn't given another chance in the NHL. He has some advantages over Weber in that he's quite a bit taller, just as good of a skater and likely just as good offensively.

I agree that Weber is ahead of him in the depth charts but i wouldn't assume Weber is the better player at this point. Sanguinetti is someone i hope we bring back next year as depth. We could use it since our D "prospects" all seen to be a while away (more so with Corrado's lack of development). We really don't have any NHL "ready" prospect anymore.

A few points:

- Sanguinetti may look good in Utica, but Weber looks good at the NHL level. Advantage: Weber.

- I hope BS gets another crack at the NHL level, but if it's just a stint here or there, then we'll a repeat of Carolina where he isn't given the time needed to develop an NHL game, whereas Weber is being more time at this level over any other prospect or AHL call-up. Advantage: Weber

- Unfortunately, BS's speed and height simply isn't enough right now to suggest that he'd be a better or as good as option for the Nucks over Weber. Weber's play overcomes any height advantage that BS may have over him.

I think we're both hoping for the best for BS, and want to see him play at the NHL level, but I also think it's safe to say that one can be more sure of Weber over BS.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
A few points:

- Sanguinetti may look good in Utica, but Weber looks good at the NHL level. Advantage: Weber.

- I hope BS gets another crack at the NHL level, but if it's just a stint here or there, then we'll a repeat of Carolina where he isn't given the time needed to develop an NHL game, whereas Weber is being more time at this level over any other prospect or AHL call-up. Advantage: Weber

- Unfortunately, BS's speed and height simply isn't enough right now to suggest that he'd be a better or as good as option for the Nucks over Weber. Weber's play overcomes any height advantage that BS may have over him.

I think we're both hoping for the best for BS, and want to see him play at the NHL level, but I also think it's safe to say that one can be more sure of Weber over BS.

Agreed but this is primarily because we know what Weber brings at the NHL level. BS is still an unknown, especially to the Western Conference. It doesn't necessarily mean that their abilities are all that different.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad