San Jose Sharks prospects could help the franchise get back to winning ways

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
noah_rod_switzerland_010215.jpg
Photo: San Jose second-round pick Noah Rod had nearly as many points in the playoffs as he did all season for his club, suggesting he may enjoy a breakout campaign in 2015-16 (courtesy of Dennis Pajot/Getty Images)

As the 2014-15 hockey season comes to a close, the San Jose Sharks are heading into uncharted waters. Their ten year consecutive playoff streak came to an end this season on the heels of what can best be described as a hopeful youth movement. With few monumental changes to the guard, the Sharks’ focus shifts heavily towards change from within. The Sharks have always had an ability to churn out prospects to fill organizational needs, and with an emerging crop of talented and underrated prospects on the horizon, they look poised to quickly get back to the high seas of success.… read more

The post San Jose Sharks prospects could help the franchise get back to winning ways appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

Last edited by a moderator:

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Interesting read. Wouldn't disagree with too many insights there.

This made me chuckle though:
Goldobin has the potential to be a star in the NHL, or a first round bust.

I'm glad that cleared things up :)

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
I don't think Rod is ready for the NHL. Just to give you guys an idea, he kinda has the same game style as Tom Wilson from the Caps, without the size though. Obviously playing under McSorley helps him a lot to be more physical, this is why I think he should play at least one more year in the NLA to get bigger and stronger. I don't want him to cross the pond and wind up playing a full season in the AHL, he's better off playing in the NLA.

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Article is a nice read, but I don't think we really have anyone ready to make the jump to the NHL this coming year... so might not get any winning help this year...

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Article is a nice read, but I don't think we really have anyone ready to make the jump to the NHL this coming year... so might not get any winning help this year...

Yep. We are atleast one more season away before I expect the likes of Jevpalovs, Chartier, Labanc, Rod, Goldobin to be NHL ready. But atleast we have more prospects now than we did 2-3 years back.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I don't think Rod is ready for the NHL. Just to give you guys an idea, he kinda has the same game style as Tom Wilson from the Caps, without the size though. Obviously playing under McSorley helps him a lot to be more physical, this is why I think he should play at least one more year in the NLA to get bigger and stronger. I don't want him to cross the pond and wind up playing a full season in the AHL, he's better off playing in the NLA.

It depends on the usage in the NLA. I've read that he's getting mostly 4th line minutes in which case I want him in North America. I was really impressed with him when watching the WJC and I think he has a style that translates really well to the North American game. If he will be given top 6 minutes in the NLA, I wouldn't mind him staying there.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I absolutely agree he's not ready for the NHL but I'm not sure if he's better off playing in the NLA than the AHL though I guess that would depend on his usage with both teams.

I do worry that both teams might pigeonhole him into a checking/energy role which I think would be a mistake.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I absolutely agree he's not ready for the NHL but I'm not sure if he's better off playing in the NLA than the AHL though I guess that would depend on his usage with both teams.

I do worry that both teams might pigeonhole him into a checking/energy role which I think would be a mistake.

I agree here. I actually think Rod has top 6 upside and could be a physical pest on the 2nd line with scoring potential. I only saw 3 of his games during the WJC but every game he was impactful in all 3 zones and I like his game. I would like him getting top 9 minutes in the AHL next year.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Actually he started the season as our 2nd line C behind Tom Pyatt but then was moved to the 3rd line behind Pyatt and Romy. He ended the season as our 3rd line LW where he played good I thought, especially during the Playoffs. The thing is, we have quite a lot of centers, so he has to play on the wing and he's not good enough to get top 6 minutes.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Actually he started the season as our 2nd line C behind Tom Pyatt but then was moved to the 3rd line behind Pyatt and Romy. He ended the season as our 3rd line LW where he played good I thought, especially during the Playoffs. The thing is, we have quite a lot of centers, so he has to play on the wing and he's not good enough to get top 6 minutes.

I think if things go well he projects as a 3W in the NHL and the difference between playing in the AHL and the FEL is that even if he's not good enough to get offensive minutes he'll get them on the Sharks development team.

I'd just like who ever he plays for next season to try to develop the offensive part of his game rather than just the agitating & physical parts as he's shown he has some skill.

If he can get that in the FEL, great but with the way Sommer (the AHL coach) uses his forwards he'll get plenty of ice time and get to play in all situations for the Barracuda.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
I think if things go well he projects as a 3W in the NHL and the difference between playing in the AHL and the FEL is that even if he's not good enough to get offensive minutes he'll get them on the Sharks development team.

I'd just like who ever he plays for next season to try to develop the offensive part of his game rather than just the agitating & physical parts as he's shown he has some skill.

If he can get that in the FEL, great but with the way Sommer (the AHL coach) uses his forwards he'll get plenty of ice time and get to play in all situations for the Barracuda.

Not sure what you mean by FEL.. Finland isn't Switzerland FYI :amazed:

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
Sorry, meant NLA...that's what I get for trying to do two things at the same time.

Point still stands though.

Obviously he has to play in the AHL but I don't think a full year would be good for him. If you compare the NLA to the AHL it's kind of a step back actually. Most non-Swiss players who play and played in the NLA say the level is better in Switzerland but anyway, I get that he need to adjust to american ice which didn't seem to bother him that much at the WJC. He could still be sent down to the NLB to develop his offensive game but this is unlikely to happen..

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Obviously he has to play in the AHL but I don't think a full year would be good for him. If you compare the NLA to the AHL it's kind of a step back actually. Most non-Swiss players who play and played in the NLA say the level is better in Switzerland but anyway, I get that he need to adjust to american ice which didn't seem to bother him that much at the WJC. He could still be sent down to the NLB to develop his offensive game but this is unlikely to happen..

I'm not really concerned with him adjusting to NA ice as that transition doesn't seem all that difficult for most forwards, I'm much more concerned with him getting to develop his offensive game and like you said he could have a hard time getting those kinds of minutes with Genève-Servette.

I honestly don't care where he plays next season and there's definitely a possibility that SJ also sacrifices developing his offense by putting him in a physical, agitating, checking role.

He's still signed with Genève-Servette for a couple (few?) more years right? I believe I read he's able to get out of that contract at any time and I'd imagine SJ wants to try to get him to come to NA but Rod and his agent will at least have a say in where he plays next year.

For his 19yo season it's fair to say playing in the NLA would be better for him, I just hope wherever he ends up he's given an opportunity to improve his offensive skills.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I'm not really concerned with him adjusting to NA ice as that transition doesn't seem all that difficult for most forwards, I'm much more concerned with him getting to develop his offensive game and like you said he could have a hard time getting those kinds of minutes with Genève-Servette.

I honestly don't care where he plays next season and there's definitely a possibility that SJ also sacrifices developing his offense by putting him in a physical, agitating, checking role.

He's still signed with Genève-Servette for a couple (few?) more years right? I believe I read he's able to get out of that contract at any time and I'd imagine SJ wants to try to get him to come to NA but Rod and his agent will at least have a say in where he plays next year.

For his 19yo season it's fair to say playing in the NLA would be better for him, I just hope wherever he ends up he's given an opportunity to improve his offensive skills.

Isn't the NA game more physical? I would think that would be the biggest adjustment. Increased physical game plus less space to make moves you may be used to getting away with on a larger ice surface seems like quite a transition for a youngin' and one I'd rather he get used to sooner rather than later.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Isn't the NA game more physical? I would think that would be the biggest adjustment. Increased physical game plus less space to make moves you may be used to getting away with on a larger ice surface seems like quite a transition for a youngin' and one I'd rather he get used to sooner rather than later.

It's more physical but like I said it's not usually a tough transition for forwards and with his style of play, and watching him in the WJC, I don't think he'll have any issues adjusting whether he comes to NA next year or the year after.

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland

Ya, he still has a contract through the 2017/18 season with Geneva but he can leave whenever he wants for NA. I think it would be a shame if he winds up playing on a 4th line in the NHL, I mean the kid has skills, he just needs to develop it.

puppydog

Jan 27, 2014
Probably just as good a way to rate prospects compared to watching a few minutes a game on streamed games and by looking at a few stats!!:yo::yo:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
For anyone that cares, I talked to Rod last summer at the Sharks prospects games and he said he wanted to stay in Switzerland through 14-15 and assess his options. Didn't sound too open towards America at the time, it sounded like he wanted to stay in Switzerland.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
For anyone that cares, I talked to Rod last summer at the Sharks prospects games and he said he wanted to stay in Switzerland through 14-15 and assess his options. Didn't sound too open towards America at the time, it sounded like he wanted to stay in Switzerland.

Wonder if it was more to do with money or to get used to the pro game while still around the comfort of home? If he can improve on the offensive side of things and start contributing I can see him become a Wingels type of player. Giving 100% every shift and getting under the opponents skin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad