San Jose Sharks Mt. Rushmore

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
i
i
i
images
Sadly scott is the best player out of the bunch. The others were expected to make a decent impact. Only scott followed through

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I'm going to throw out the rules and pick the four guys who've had the biggest imprint on this franchise as a player or in management or both:

1.) Doug Wilson
2.) Owen Nolan
3.) Patrick Marleau
4.) Joe Thornton

Yea this is the best way to do it. No way would any of the coaches make it on our Mt Rushmore. Should easily be Marleau, Thornton, Nolan & Nabokov.

An argument could be made for Wilson, Boyle or Pavelski in that last spot.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
No coach or defenseman deserves a spot. It should be Thornton, Nolan, Marleau and Nabby.

This is it. This is the list. Any other arbitrary rules are silly.

And I'm voting for Nabby over Wilson until Wilson wins the Sharks a cup. Wilson's entire success so far could be argued as due to Thornton re-signing over and over again at a discount. He'll have to prove himself --- either with post-JT success or a cup with JT ---- to pass Nabby.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

When I first saw this thread, I was hoping to put Ricci in somewhere, and then I was reminded he doesn't play defense. Ricci was one of my favorite players when I was growing up mainly because he was a monster on the Ice and I don't think he ever not had a scar. For someone who was like 15 years old who watched it just because of the hitting, that leaves a lasting impact.

As for the question as a whole:

F - Nolan
G - Nabby (Even though I was so close to putting Irbe in here)
C - TMac
D - Vlasic (but I was trying to think who were the Defensmen on the Nolan/Damphoose era teams?)

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Yea this is the best way to do it. No way would any of the coaches make it on our Mt Rushmore. Should easily be Marleau, Thornton, Nolan & Nabokov.

An argument could be made for Wilson, Boyle or Pavelski in that last spot.

Agree, if we name just players it's definitely Nabby over Wilson.

When I first saw this thread, I was hoping to put Ricci in somewhere, and then I was reminded he doesn't play defense. Ricci was one of my favorite players when I was growing up mainly because he was a monster on the Ice and I don't think he ever not had a scar. For someone who was like 15 years old who watched it just because of the hitting, that leaves a lasting impact.

As for the question as a whole:

F - Nolan
G - Nabby (Even though I was so close to putting Irbe in here)
C - TMac
D - Vlasic (but I was trying to think who were the Defensmen on the Nolan/Damphoose era teams?)

Ricci was awesome, you always knew he gave it his all in every game he played. Mike Rathje was the best Defenseman during the Nolan era in my opinion.

Suddenly Zyuzin

Jan 14, 2007
Edison, New Jersey
I feel like a lot of these Nolan as the Forward spot selections are based on nostalgia. He was the best player on a team that for a stretch winning 1 playoff series was considered a successful season. Just making the playoffs was considered a success. He was the loud, emotional leader type that people gravitate towards, I get. But realistically, not only are Marleau and Thornton better players than Nolan was, they have accomplished more for the team than Nolan did too. Expectations are skewing perspective I feel.

Nolan would be on the top 4 anything list for sure, but to say he is the best/most important forward in franchise history is silly, imo.

troberts9

Nov 1, 2013
Nolan was no doubt the best forward, but just for fun, I'm going to switch it up and go with Ricci. No one worked harder than that guy.

F: Ricci
D: Ozolinsh
G: Irbe
C: Constantine

Los Tiburones

Jun 11, 2002
Visit site
I feel like a lot of these Nolan as the Forward spot selections are based on nostalgia. He was the best player on a team that for a stretch winning 1 playoff series was considered a successful season. Just making the playoffs was considered a success. He was the loud, emotional leader type that people gravitate towards, I get. But realistically, not only are Marleau and Thornton better players than Nolan was, they have accomplished more for the team than Nolan did too. Expectations are skewing perspective I feel.

Nolan would be on the top 4 anything list for sure, but to say he is the best/most important forward in franchise history is silly, imo.

Isn't the point of this list nostalgia? Nolan was the loud, emotional leader on a team where he was the best and most clutch player for the better part of a decade. I don't disagree that Thornton is the better player and Marleau has been a greater stat compiler, but a Sharks Mt. Rushmore doesn't feel like one unless Nolan is on it (which is why I ignored the rules).

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Isn't the point of this list nostalgia? Nolan was the loud, emotional leader on a team where he was the best and most clutch player for the better part of a decade. I don't disagree that Thornton is the better player and Marleau has been a greater stat compiler, but a Sharks Mt. Rushmore doesn't feel like one unless Nolan is on it (which is why I ignored the rules).

Nolan is a must. He was the sharks during his tenure here. Made us a legit team and built the fan base we now enjoy. I think we need to break the rules and slot in gund as the builder. Defense you have got to go with our first captain. Goalie I am torn. Like wall stole a ton of games early on for us, but nabby was the better goalie long term. So I'll go with:

Gund
Wilson
Nolan
Nabokov

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

You're one of those people that says Dan Marino isn't one of the greatest QBs in NFL history because he didn't win a super bowl, aren't you?

Winning is a team accomplishment. It's not Nolan's fault that he played on less talented overall teams than Marleau/Thornton have, or that his teams accomplished less in their time than some more modern ones did. While, yes, the point of team sports is to win the championship, it takes a team to do that, and it's not fair to hang the team's failures on him or downgrade his importance to the franchise because of it.

He was the team's career leading scorer for a long time. he was the first, longest-term "Franchise player" the team had. he is the iconic Shark for anyone whose franchise world-view was shaped before the mid 2000s, which makes him the iconic Shark during the franchises' formative years. To deny the potential for him to be, for some, the most important player in franchise history to them seems silly just because he has fewer playoff wins than guys who came after him.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
I can't deny Nolan's status among fans and I think Nem describes it well, but I've got my own reasons he doesn't belong on it. The org is not exactly on good terms with him either from what I understand, though that's softened a bit.

Just last year at the draft party he was supposed to be there and didn't show up. He did the same type of crap when he was on the team.

Would I list him among the top 10 all time Sharks? Yes. Would I recognize him by putting him on a Rushmore of the top 4 Sharks. Nope.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Jeff Hackett deserves some recognition for the shellacking he took for a couple seasons...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad