San Jose Sharks Mt. Rushmore

Blackbear

Jan 3, 2007
Best player we've ever had? Owen Nolan or Teemu Selanne
How about Larianov? Not to mention Adam Graves and Bernue Nicholls are far better than those two. Prob others as well. In the era, Ricci made a much greater contribution than Teemoo regardless of talent level. Of course the exercise here isn't talent but importance.

Jul 10, 2010

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
dont think pavelski has earned a spot on the mountain just yet. IMO if hes up there strictly for his goal scoring, Cheechoo also has to be. Obviously Pavelski is a much better all around player and stuff but id say him and cheech have had similar impacts

Cheechoo??? Seriously? He's barely in the top 10. If that.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Argument could be made that even counting their time on other teams, Joe could still be the best.

Then, I think it gets iffy.

Larionov, obviously. Selanne had a storied career. Technically, Messier and Fleury were Sharks. Wilson and Blake...

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Marleau
Vlasic
Nabokov
McLellan

I could easily also put Nolan or Thornton for the forward.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Rules are simple:
1 Forward - Owen Nolan
1 Defenseman - Rob Blake
1 Coach - Sutter
1 Goalie - Irbe

Rob Blake probably deserves the most explanation. Though it was end of career, he brought leadership that was badly needed and turned up his physical game in the playoff noticeably in front of the net. He was so respected he was given the C as a virtual import.

When I go through the other options at defense I can come up with Vlasic, Stewart, Rathje, Ragnarsson, G. Suter, Ozolinsh, Hannan, Marchment, and Boyle. Vlasic is in the top of the list but still lacks offense, is growing as a leader, and isn't physical. If I add tenure on the team into the thinking, then I go with MEV over Blake.

In goal - Nabby would get the nod by most probably, but Irbe played out of his mind in the playoffs and exceeded expectations. I don't think we've had another goalie exceed expectations through a season.

WineShark

Nov 19, 2006
Napa Valley, CA
Rules are simple:
1 Forward - Owen Nolan
1 Defenseman - Rob Blake
1 Coach - Sutter
1 Goalie - Irbe

Rob Blake probably deserves the most explanation. Though it was end of career, he brought leadership that was badly needed and turned up his physical game in the playoff noticeably in front of the net. He was so respected he was given the C as a virtual import.

When I go through the other options at defense I can come up with Vlasic, Stewart, Rathje, Ragnarsson, G. Suter, Ozolinsh, Hannan, Marchment, and Boyle. Vlasic is in the top of the list but still lacks offense, is growing as a leader, and isn't physical. If I add tenure on the team into the thinking, then I go with MEV over Blake.

In goal - Nabby would get the nod by most probably, but Irbe played out of his mind in the playoffs and exceeded expectations. I don't think we've had another goalie exceed expectations through a season.

I would note that its a little difficult to take the OP direction on it's face: "Four players who you think have left their legacy on the team, or who have shaped the team and their identity today."

With the older players like Larionov, its hard to say there is an imprint or legacy on the team. That team overachieved. The team's identity is once again in rebuild because they can't win the Cup so they keep looking for the secret sauce. DW obviously hasn't found what he was hoping for in a team identity.

The four that I mention are ones that I think should have shaped the team's identity. (sorry for quoting myself ...)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad