• Mason Beaupit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yegor Rimashevskiy

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Still Lund for me. Halttunen is close too.

I just don’t see Bordeleau or Gushchin having meaningful NHL careers. It’s so hard to make it at that size unless you have elite speed and/or skill which neither of them does. Still rooting for them though, especially Goose.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I liked Gushchin's improvement over the last year more than Bordeleau's. But I think Bordeleau's too smart of a player to be stuck where he is right now.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I went with Bordealeau. I'd say he still has 2C upside (though it is unlikely he reaches it) and he is close to the NHL at this stage. Hopefully he can refine his defensive game enough to be passable at the NHL level and can serve as a 3rd line center. I thought about going for Havelid because I'd give him a 50/50 chance of being a top 4 D but he is too far away from the NHL right now.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

I just don’t see Bordeleau or Gushchin having meaningful NHL careers. It’s so hard to make it at that size unless you have elite speed and/or skill which neither of them does. Still rooting for them though, especially Goose.
I agree on bords, but I do think Gushchin has a high end NHL shot and can fit as a 2nd or 3rd line sniper.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I wanted to go with Lund, but ultimately chose Guschin because he’s closer to the NHL and because he showed a plus shot at the NHL level, and a promising ability to get it off. I think that might give him a leg up over Bordeleau in the intermediate future.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
The Goose is loose!!!
peepo-goose.gif

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California

I think this time next year, Lund will be around this range if not a bit higher but I still want to give Gushchin and Bords another chance to turn potential into production before I lower them any further.

Last edited:

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
I understand that Lund looks good with his shot but I am still skeptical of him. He didn't score at the rate I would hope for in the NCAA to place him this high.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
voted Havelid, think Lund is very close though. To me Bordeleau shouldn't make it in the top 10 Sharks prospects and I don't believe he has any NHL future.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
voted Havelid, think Lund is very close though. To me Bordeleau shouldn't make it in the top 10 Sharks prospects and I don't believe he has any NHL future.
For those so high on Thurn, let me remind them that this time last year many thought after 4 NHL games that Bords should be automatically in the NHL and was too good to play with the Cuda. It is not as easy as a jump from NCAA as people think.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
For those so high on Thurn, let me remind them that this time last year many thought after 4 NHL games that Bords should be automatically in the NHL and was too good to play with the Cuda. It is not as easy as a jump from NCAA as people think.
I know what you mean, but I think Thrun basically stepped in as a (mostly) fully formed player in terms of what he is and what he will be. I was happy to vote him 6th because of this--and because players of his ilk often get underrated--but there's also likely a ceiling to his level as an NHL player (I feel like a responsible, fairly low-scoring 2nd pairing and PK guy is about right).

Someone like Bordeleau will have his flashes and probably has a higher upside, but that upside is harder to reach than Thrun's, and then the question is, if he doesn't reach it, can he be a good bottom six player? Whereas Thrun has the safer floor to go with the lower ceiling. It really speaks to why even when trying to be fair and logical, ranking prospects is inherently difficult and subjective.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I know what you mean, but I think Thrun basically stepped in as a (mostly) fully formed player in terms of what he is and what he will be. I was happy to vote him 6th because of this--and because players of his ilk often get underrated--but there's also likely a ceiling to his level as an NHL player (I feel like a responsible, fairly low-scoring 2nd pairing and PK guy is about right).

Someone like Bordeleau will have his flashes and probably has a higher upside, but that upside is harder to reach than Thrun's, and then the question is, if he doesn't reach it, can he be a good bottom six player? Whereas Thrun has the safer floor to go with the lower ceiling. It really speaks to why even when trying to be fair and logical, ranking prospects is inherently difficult and subjective.
That’s fair. It’s easy to forget that Thurn is older than most of the other prospects.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I understand that Lund looks good with his shot but I am still skeptical of him. He didn't score at the rate I would hope for in the NCAA to place him this high.
I don't follow NCAA hockey very closely but isn't Hockey East generally considered the toughest conference by a fair margin? Lund's scoring should be taken in that context IMO. For example Cale Makar only scored 21 points in 34 games for UMass his freshman year. Lund will probably need to make the NHL as a scorer though so if the numbers aren't there next season it's fair to bump his down or off this list.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

I voted Thrun in the earlier poll because from his sample last year it was pretty evident he has a game that is compatible, as is, with the NHL. He was effective defending his zone, he has an effective first pass, solid poise on the puck, and plays a pretty no frills game in all zones. If he never progresses from what we saw last season I’d be happy with that on the third pairing of a contending team. If he’s able to add elements or improve aspects of his game, all the merrier.

A player like Bordeleau, in his first callup, had some positive results point wise, showed some of the offensive deceptiveness and flair he possesses, but also demonstrated weaknesses in the areas that are simply table stakes for an NHL forward unless they bring elite offensive production (which it doesn’t look like he will do) - basically all off puck aspects of his game did not look NHL ready.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
It's not a matter of how many games a prospect played. Just watch Bordeleau play. not only in the NHL but watch his games. He doesn't do anything. He sit around and waits for the game to come to him. I'll be shocked if he amounts to anything.

Thrun at least played smart hockey.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I don't follow NCAA hockey very closely but isn't Hockey East generally considered the toughest conference by a fair margin? Lund's scoring should be taken in that context IMO. For example Cale Makar only scored 21 points in 34 games for UMass his freshman year. Lund will probably need to make the NHL as a scorer though so if the numbers aren't there next season it's fair to bump his down or off this list.
that's what the announcers of the prospects scrimmage said when they introduced Lund, they said he played in perhaps the toughest conference in college hockey. he played two games against Harvard where he was completely shut down to the tune of zero points by my man Henry Thurn while Thurn himself had an assists in those games.

i love you Henry Thurn that's why im so high on you man!

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's not a matter of how many games a prospect played. Just watch Bordeleau play. not only in the NHL but watch his games. He doesn't do anything. He sit around and waits for the game to come to him. I'll be shocked if he amounts to anything.

Thrun at least played smart hockey.
People were fawning over Bordeleau this time last year. It was sacrilege to suggest he shouldn't start the season in the NHL.

Nobody should be drawing any conclusions based on games at the end of a lost season. They're about as meaningful and intense as preseason games.

Reactions: gaucholoco3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad