Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks #2 prospect

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I'm a bit surprised the new guys are getting a ton of love (not just Goldy, but Rod and Bergman too). Do you think it's just a matter of them being new and shiny? I like Goldy a lot, his offensive toolkit looks great, but I'm a bit surprised he's running away with it. There are some good forwards in this bunch (including O'Regan who I think a lot of people are forgetting in terms of offensive potential--one bad offensive year with a new coach will do that I guess.) and I think it's actually the deepest the prospect pool has been in a long while. Really exciting times.

Probably. Most Sharks fans were really not happy with last years draft (or maybe even most drafts in general) but Goldobin pretty easily has the highest ceiling of any Sharks prospects if, and obviously that's a big if, everything goes right.

O'Regan wasn't just bad offensively last season, he was bad all over the place. You can blame that on coaching but quite a bit of that falls on the player and it put up a decent sized red flag for me. I do expect him to bounce back this year especially if he's lucky enough to skate on Eichel's wing.

I do agree that the prospect pool is probably the deepest it's been a long time.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
That's because scouting starts long before a players draft year.

Tierney showed really good offensive upside prior to going to the OHL. Once Hunter got his hands on him he told him he will either learn the defensive / checking side of the game or he doesn't play (paraphrasing here). It was also that production (mostly at evens) while playing a real shutdown role on a good team that attracted Burke as well.

Tierney went from one extreme to the other and it took him until his draft +1 year to put it all together but did he ever put it all together!

My hope is that tierney becomes our next pavelski. (Except with better wheels)

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
My hope is that tierney becomes our next pavelski. (Except with better wheels)

I like Tierney, a lot, but I don't really see him developing into a top line caliber player.

Unless you mean an elite 3rd liner (w/o Pavelski's offensive production) in which case, yes, that would be great.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I like Tierney, a lot, but I don't really see him developing into a top line caliber player.

Unless you mean an elite 3rd liner (w/o Pavelski's offensive production) in which case, yes, that would be great.

I mean continuing to use that hockey iq to improve year upon year. Pavs was expected to top out at 3c but kept beating our expectations. If tierney becomes an elite 3c I will be happy. But I hope he can eventually develop in to a two way 2c that we can rely upon in any situation.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I mean continuing to use that hockey iq to improve year upon year. Pavs was expected to top out at 3c but kept beating our expectations. If tierney becomes an elite 3c I will be happy. But I hope he can eventually develop in to a two way 2c that we can rely upon in any situation.

Maybe by some but I thought he seemed a good bet to become a top 6 NHLer after his first year at Wisconsin.

Tierney might develop into a top 6 forward but he just doesn't have the offensive skills that Pavelski did at the same age.

I just don't think the two players are very comparable.

whlscowt

Probably. Most Sharks fans were really not happy with last years draft (or maybe even most drafts in general) but Goldobin pretty easily has the highest ceiling of any Sharks prospects if, and obviously that's a big if, everything goes right.

O'Regan wasn't just bad offensively last season, he was bad all over the place. You can blame that on coaching but quite a bit of that falls on the player and it put up a decent sized red flag for me. I do expect him to bounce back this year especially if he's lucky enough to skate on Eichel's wing.

I do agree that the prospect pool is probably the deepest it's been a long time.

Great points all around on O'Regan. I'm less excited to see what he can do with Eichel or one of the big boys coming in, than what he can do when he's healthy. Last year he was constantly banged up (I just remember him hobbling to and from the arena at the WJC's, and still skating) but I think his skillset is too good for him not to bounceback.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad