Prospect Info: San Jose Sharks #2 prospect

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Well...Murray wasn't exactly the best top 4 guy even at his best. Seriously, who would've thought Braun would be this good.

I did. Go back to the Braun v Demers wars :sarcasm:

Though honestly I thought Braun would bring more offense than he has (and I still expect him to) so I guess I actually thought he'd be even better than this. I've been wrong on a ton of other things. But what I'm saying is in this one, I've always been on his bandwagon lol

whlscowt

I'm a bit surprised the new guys are getting a ton of love (not just Goldy, but Rod and Bergman too). Do you think it's just a matter of them being new and shiny? I like Goldy a lot, his offensive toolkit looks great, but I'm a bit surprised he's running away with it. There are some good forwards in this bunch (including O'Regan who I think a lot of people are forgetting in terms of offensive potential--one bad offensive year with a new coach will do that I guess.) and I think it's actually the deepest the prospect pool has been in a long while. Really exciting times.

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I'm a bit surprised the new guys are getting a ton of love (not just Goldy, but Rod and Bergman too). Do you think it's just a matter of them being new and shiny? I like Goldy a lot, his offensive toolkit looks great, but I'm a bit surprised he's running away with it. There are some good forwards in this bunch (including O'Regan who I think a lot of people are forgetting in terms of offensive potential--one bad offensive year with a new coach will do that I guess.)

Because Goldobin has the best skill set and the highest potential of all those prospects on the list.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
It is possible that many of you may be setting yourselves up for disappointment. Among the forwards, I am not sure how Goldobin is currently a bigger prospect than Tierney. Goldobin appears to be one of those risky picks...

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
It is possible that many of you may be setting yourselves up for disappointment. Among the forwards, I am not sure how Goldobin is currently a bigger prospect than Tierney. Goldobin appears to be one of those risky picks...

Probably because a prospect is just that, a prospect. The prospect of goldobin being an amazing playmaker and point producer is higher right now then the prospect of tierney being one. Tierney might be the safer choice to make the nhl because he's on the cusp of doing so, but the potential between the two is not really the same.

Obviously it can all go wrong and his potential is never realized, but that's not how most people rank prospects. If you do it that way, more power to you, there's nothing wrong with that.

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Probably because a prospect is just that, a prospect. The prospect of goldobin being an amazing playmaker and point producer is higher right now then the prospect of tierney being one. Tierney might be the safer choice to make the nhl because he's on the cusp of doing so, but the potential between the two is not really the same.

Obviously it can all go wrong and his potential is never realized, but that's not how most people rank prospects. If you do it that way, more power to you, there's nothing wrong with that.

You may be underestimating Tierney a bit....

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Because Tierney has been in the OHL longer and played on a loaded team. Goldobin played on one of the worst teams in the CHL and it was his first year as an import. Tierney may be the safer choice but Goldobin has higher potential.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
You may be underestimating Tierney a bit....

Maybe I am. I see tierney as a stud third liner with 2nd liner possibilities.

Goldobin right now projects as top 6 with 1st line potential.

Development will obviously play a big factor with goldobin and less so with tierney because he is just about in the nhl lineup.

However if goldobin reaches his potential it is higher IMO then tierneys, by a fair margin.

Like I said if you want to rank prospects based on nhl readiness I won't tell you you're wrong, I was simply trying to provide a viewpoint on why people are picking goldobin over tierney as a better "prospect".

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA

I'm gonna start by saying Goldobin was a 1st round pick and Tierney was a 2nd round pick...

WantonAbandon

Oct 16, 2011
Because Tierney has been in the OHL longer and played on a loaded team. Goldobin played on one of the worst teams in the CHL and it was his first year as an import. Tierney may be the safer choice but Goldobin has higher potential.

Perhaps Tierney wold have more points if he wasn't on such a loaded team and given a different role. You know like the role Goldobin is given.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Tierney has a much nicer skillset than Hamilton but Goldobin's offensive skillset is out of this world compared to either of them. Also, watching the first Memorial Cup game between London vs. Val D'or, Tierney was barely off the ice ever.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That's confusing, since he played like four minutes of the first game and then got injured for the rest of the tournament...

Best four minutes I've ever seen in my life.

.. second to the Kim Kardashian video.

I kid.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I'd say he was their best player, but it wasn't always that way. I was responding to your comment about Tierney being in the OHL longer.

Most likely not. Tierney has grown a lot from his draft year in which he was coming off a rough first season with the Knights. Goldobin lit up the OHL last year. He still has gaping holes in his game but based on potential, Goldobin has the edge. I say this as someone who likes Tierney moreso than Goldobin.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Most likely not. Tierney has grown a lot from his draft year in which he was coming off a rough first season with the Knights. Goldobin lit up the OHL last year. He still has gaping holes in his game but based on potential, Goldobin has the edge. I say this as someone who likes Tierney moreso than Goldobin.

The org must really think of Tierney really ****ing highly. It's not very often that a 30 point player that played almost exclusively on 3rd/4th lines in that OHL get drafted in the 2nd round.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The org must really think of Tierney really ****ing highly. It's not very often that a 30 point player that played almost exclusively on 3rd/4th lines in that OHL get drafted in the 2nd round.

They probably saw his room for growth physically and as a player. He had good hockey IQ and skating and a solid skill set with intangibles etc but was pretty slim in his draft year.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

That's because scouting starts long before a players draft year.

Tierney showed really good offensive upside prior to going to the OHL. Once Hunter got his hands on him he told him he will either learn the defensive / checking side of the game or he doesn't play (paraphrasing here). It was also that production (mostly at evens) while playing a real shutdown role on a good team that attracted Burke as well.

Tierney went from one extreme to the other and it took him until his draft +1 year to put it all together but did he ever put it all together!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad