San Jose assistant coach blast voters for not having W Karlsson in top 3 selke

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
LOS ANGELES. He scored 43 goals and was Vegas Golden Knight's best scorer this winter.
William Karlsson, 25, finished third in the goal league.

At the same time he won the plus and minus liga with his +49 sensationally.
"I do not understand why William is not one of the three nominated candidates for the Selke Trophy. To me he was given, "says San Jose Sharks assistant coach Johan Hedberg.
Hedberg's Sharks fell in the quarterfinals against Karlsson and his Golden Knights.
So he has seen William Karlsson's progress close, especially when the team plays in the same division, Pacific.
William Karlsson was 13 points ahead of the second in the plus and minus league, who was mate Jonathan Marchessault.
But when the three advanced candidates for the Selke Trophy, which were awarded to the forward in the league that combines offensive games with a strong defensive effort, the Swedish did not exist.
"He is the real deal"
This year's candidates are Patrice Bergeron, Boston, Sean Couturier, Philadelphia and Anze Kopitar, LA Kings.
"William has shown that he is the real deal this winter. A complete forward, who does not cheat somewhere on the track, says Johan Hedberg.

”Förstår inte att han inte var en kandidat”

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
2b3x4g.jpg

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
There seems to be a lot that goes into Selke voting. Reputation being a major factor but also faceoff ability. Has any center won with a sub 50% faceoff record? Most winners seem to be in the 55% plus range at least. When Kesler won during his 41 goal season he was near the top of the league with a 57.4% faceoff percentage and had like 80 some blocked shots with a lot of SH time on ice per game. Plus minus seems to be fading quite a bit in how voters vote as it has been proven to be a stat that doesn't tell the whole story. They also take in how much you start in the defensive zone and Karlsson wasn't really used as a shutdown guy for Vegas. At least not like Bergeron, kopitar and Couterier are.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
While I agree Karlsson is underrated defensively, using plus-minus as your primary selke argument is not going to get you far.
He says karlsson plays great defense, not only quotes plus minus.

Since he is in pacific he seen him play a lot

I assumed this thread was about Melker Karlsson, since you know, he plays for the Sharks. You may want to edit the thread title.
I edited the title.

Last edited:

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
He says karlsson plays great defense, not only quotes plus minus.

Since he is in pacific he seen him play a lot

I edited the title.

If he's going to try to make a case that he should have gotten votes over Bergeron, Kopitar or Couterier, he should probably provide some actual metrics that support that opinion besides "I watch him a lot he's good".

For +/- well... if we're using that for an award metric then Josh Manson should be a Norris candidate no?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Like most NHL awards that aren't based on hard metrics, the Selke is a popularity/name recognition contest.

Or it's simply a harder award to vote for due to there not being any one definitive stat that proves someone is the best two-way player in the league.

A guy like Sean Couturier isn't some media darling who has a great reputation, he's an advanced stat darling and that's what a lot of these voters look at.

Just because your guy isn't nominated for an award doesn't make it trash.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Theres only 3 nominees and Karlsson wasnt better than any of the 3. Maybe he could have replaced Bergeron due to his missed games, but then theres Barkov too.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
The 3 nominees are the undisputed best 3 two-way centers in the NHL, so I dont see how that makes sense.
reputation award. thing changes year to year. took a little while for the voters to stop including toews in this thing.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Some years sure..hard to argue against any of the 3 this year though.
if i had time, i could probably make a solid case for 2 of these to not be on the list. I watched a lot of vegas games this yeae, and wild bill was fn fantastic in all zones. he's a special teams beast and a 5 on 5 warrior. People like to overlook his season because it came out of left field, but he's been genuinely spectacular and based on this season alone he's absolutely a selke nominee.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
if i had time, i could probably make a solid case for 2 of these to not be on the list. I watched a lot of vegas games this yeae, and wild bill was fn fantastic in all zones. he's a special teams beast and a 5 on 5 warrior. People like to overlook his season because it came out of left field, but he's been genuinely spectacular and based on this season alone he's absolutely a selke nominee.

Id be fine with Karlsson or Barkov replacing Bergeron because of games missed but Couturier and Kopitars nominations were locks. Ive looked at every metric.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Actually he isn't. Hedberg never went to clown college.

Different people have different preferences how they make their list , I don't see what is so supposedly controversial about it?

If Hedberg is complaining about Karlsson not being a finalist though, then he might need to heed this advice himself

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
I don't understand why Bergeron was nominated when he missed 18 games. Barkov or Karlsson should've replaced him. And yet Fluery wasn't nominated for the vezina when he played 46 games and was tied for the best save%. Voters just need to be consistent :mad:.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad