GDT: San Diego Gulls 2020/2021 (continuous)

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee
I hope they still take it slow with Drysdale. Maybe let him start in the AHL. Send him to captain Canada in the WJC next year.

I still think there is no real benefit to rushing him. No development was ever ruined because they spent half a season longer in the AHL then they needed to, but a lot of development has been stalled by rushing guys.

Edit: Drysdale is not eligible for the AHL next season. The CHL/AHL rules are so f***ing stupid.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I hope they still take it slow with Drysdale. Maybe let him start in the AHL. Send him to captain Canada in the WJC next year.

I still think there is no real benefit to rushing him. No development was ever ruined because they spent half a season longer in the AHL then they needed to, but a lot of development has been stalled by rushing guys.

Edit: Drysdale is not eligible for the AHL next season. The CHL/AHL rules are so f***ing stupid.
Meh attach him to a healthy lindholm

Reactions: Deuce22

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Drysdale was overall great for a 18/19 y.o. this season. It’ll be interesting to see where he is next season. Another season in Ontario wouldn’t be the worst thing for him IMO. It’s really too bad because the AHL is the absolute perfect league for him right now

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Think he will be able to develop on the NHL level fine, especially if he is skating with someone like Lindholm. Sending him back to the OHL would be a mistake, and if he cannot play in the AHL to work on some things, then the Ducks it is.

I think he just hit a rookie wall, and had been playing a lot of hockey between the WJC, AHL, and NHL.

Last edited:
Reactions: KelVarnsen

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Can Drysdale play in the AHL next year or would he have to return to Juniors?

If the OHL starts up again, then Drysdale is bound by the CBA to return to the AHL if he doesn't stick to the NHL club. Tracey was returned to the WHL this year. The OHL and WHL belong to the CHL, which has this agreement that if a prospect under 20 years of age doesn't stick in the NHL, then he has to be returned to his respective CHL club.

Anaheim could have Drysdale start in the NHL, but would have to return him to the CHL if the Ducks feel like he needs more seasoning. As soon as the CHL season is over, then he can come back again. The question we should have for Drysdale is his talent better than anyone else in our system to be in the NHL next season? I'd say that he is better, but that long season might be too much for him after reading how non-dynamic he was in the these playoffs.

It seems as though we keep running into a similar problem with our prospects: they're too good for their peer level, but not consistently good enough at the NHL level. Guess that's what happens when there isn't enough NHL talent on the club to present a proper progression. Hopefully, with all of our youths progressing and the possibility of top-6 FA's, our prospects can progress more effectively.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Not blaming them, just think it explains why their effort wasn't what everyone wanted.

And that effort was propagated by Landon, the guy in charge of the PHPA for signing the agreement such that...

• Playoffs for the 2020-21 season will be at the sole discretion of the AHL. No additional compensation will be paid to players for any playoff games.
  • AHL teams shall make reasonable efforts to assist the players in finding affordable housing.
Landon wants it both ways. He can't because he agreed to it to get an AHL season started. It's disingenuous for Landon to "poll" AHL West players about playing in the playoffs because it's Landon trying to coerce the league to not play despite Landon signing full well the AHL could be playing a playoffs. It's BS to sign a deal and the don't put in all your effort afterwards. It does suck that the players don't have additional compensations, but the players' representative Landon agreed to that change for this season.

We may not like it, but it's in the contract that all parties agreed to do. So you get paid for the regular season, but don't want to play in the playoffs now that you've got your pay despite direct language you have to play in the playoffs if one is held?

Landon didn't have to signoff on the new CBA for 2020-21, but he did.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Not blaming them, just think it explains why their effort wasn't what everyone wanted.
Well, something was motivating the Condors for sure. They looked way more hungrier than pretty much any of our skaters.

That being said, ofc I will take a larger sample size of NHL games over those 3 AHL games, but I don't buy the ''they were not motivated'' argument. Condors clearly wanted to win way more than we did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad