GDT: San Diego Gulls 2020/2021 (continuous)

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I don't think he needs more time in the AHL but I certainly don't think its hurting him.

Curious to why Milano isn't playing. It's definitely not like the Gulls couldn't use more firepower with De Leo not playing.
Gulls play tomorrow at home. Maybe they just didn’t want him to travel or play back to back.

GunnarStahl

Let’s go shake their hands
Oct 13, 2020
I don't think he needs more time in the AHL but I certainly don't think its hurting him.

Curious to why Milano isn't playing. It's definitely not like the Gulls couldn't use more firepower with De Leo not playing.
Agreed I was being a bit hyperbolic with the term “need” but point stands he should stay there for most of the season

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Agreed I was being a bit hyperbolic with the term “need” but point stands he should stay there for most of the season

I think he definitely needs to get a look for the four or five games he can play without burning his ELC, just to see how he looks against NHL competition and to reward him, but yeah I agree that staying mostly with the Gulls is the way to go. Unless he completely goes off and it looks like he's just well above the AHL, you can't fight fate at that point.

Reactions: Swedenheim

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yep. Zegras was far and away the number one. I think I was one of the very few who favored Drysdale.

I also thought Drysdale could compete with the #1 prospect moniker. After watching the WJC's, it was eye-opening to see Drysdale perform well despite not getting counting productions and seeing RW Holtz have a quiet outing. Granted, Sweden was missing some of its top players due to COVID infections, but it shows how reliant Holtz is on other talents around him to help set him up. That goes without saying for so many other forwards such as his own linemate, Raymond (#4 overall), also struggled in the WJC's. Yet, Drysdale was performing well whether it was with Byram at the WJC's or a far weaker defensive partner in Erie.

The video scouting done by Draft Dynasty on Drysdale nearly hyped Draft Dynasty to almost mock Drysdale #2 overall in the draft, above C Byfield. It's in that same video breakdown that shows how Drysdale is always cognizant of his defensive partner to cover up his mistakes. That's one of the huge factors that sold me Drysdale. Combine that cerebral thinking, fast skating, and his extra defensive training away from his junior team, then it shows good promise that he's ahead of the curve at age 18. He did make the WJC roster as a 17-year old the year previous.

I think it's because he's so quiet in his game that he doesn't get as much notoriety. Even when he scores a goal it is as if it was just another hockey play like he did in a recent game in OT for the game winner. But it's nice to see all of our prospects on the same playing ice. It gives us more perspective on each of them. Zegras has points, but they're done in spurts. Many have already pointed out that the rest of his game needs filling out and the best players on the team have been Carrick, De Leo, and Dostal.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I don't hate having Drysdale over Zegras but don't think I agree. Drysdale IMO has been very good, albeit not dominant(which is by no means a knock), and I think its mostly relative to expectations. He's an 18 year old who was supposed to be ticketed for the OHL in a normal year, so he's smashed any expectations out of the park. On the other hand there's Zegras who had sky high expectations and people loudly bitching that he wasn't called up before the AHL season even started, and he's merely met expectations.

I also think Zegras has been using the last few games to work on some areas that need refinement whereas Drysdale is just playing his game. Don't think its a coincidence that a pass first player is now tied for the league lead in shots on goal.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
I think I've only seen Drysdale make only one BIG mistake so far.... In all the games...

He's been solid.
Incredibly solid, if I had the rank the Gulls rookies I’d say Dostal(even though today wasn’t great he’s been solid and was left out to dry bad in some of those plays) Drysdale, Zegras, Groulx, Perreault, and then Tracey, some of those rankings are really close though. It’s a shame there are no playoffs for the AHL this year

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I don't hate having Drysdale over Zegras but don't think I agree. Drysdale IMO has been very good, albeit not dominant(which is by no means a knock), and I think its mostly relative to expectations. He's an 18 year old who was supposed to be ticketed for the OHL in a normal year, so he's smashed any expectations out of the park. On the other hand there's Zegras who had sky high expectations and people loudly bitching that he wasn't called up before the AHL season even started, and he's merely met expectations.

I also think Zegras has been using the last few games to work on some areas that need refinement whereas Drysdale is just playing his game. Don't think its a coincidence that a pass first player is now tied for the league lead in shots on goal.

I don't think Zegras has met expectations relative to his WJC performance. I was an advocate for keeping Zegras in college to continue to build up physically as well as build from his very good freshman season playing at 1C. Only reason I wanted Zegras on that route was so that GM Murray wouldn't be tempted to rush Zegras to the NHL. Zegras has been trying to shed the "pass first player" since he was drafted by the Ducks. He did it in college and that forced GM Murray to sign him. He did it again at the WJC's, earning MVP in the process. The jump to the AHL appears to be a bigger jump for Zegras. Zegras appears in spurts and makes the opposing team pay for it, but it's in spurts. I don't think anyone is down on Zegras because the scoring touch is there, but now we're able to see where Zegras is in his development at the AHL level. There are other players on the AHL team that standout in every game all game such as Carrick and De Leo. Zegras is still the future and brimming with brilliance. He just needs more time developing the rest of his game at the AHL level.

On that same AHL level, Drysdale is more than holding his own and quietly scoring as a top pairing defenseman. Zegras leads the Gulls with 7 points and Drysdale is second on the team with 6 points. Both have notched two goals. The difference between the two is that Drysdale, at 18 years old, is a year younger than Zegras. This year is probably the only way we can compare apples to apples such that our top prospects are playing on the same ice. I think we're fortunate to potentially have three elite players for the past three drafts in G Dostal (2018 rd 3), C/W Zegras (2019), and RHD Drysdale (2020).

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
I’m replaying the first right now I’m joining in a bit late but our Defense line up look AWFUL no Rico, Comtois still on the third line, and the score already basically mathematically puts at a loss. And somehow it feels like it may not even be rock bottom

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I’m replaying the first right now I’m joining in a bit late but our Defense line up look AWFUL no Rico, Comtois still on the third line, and the score already basically mathematically puts at a loss. And somehow it feels like it may not even be rock bottom
Game is at 7:30pm

GunnarStahl

Oct 13, 2020
I’m gonna predict a multi point game from Z, he has been quiet and is losing his lead, I think he’s gonna up the effort and the play

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Zegras has definitely been working on other areas which is affecting his production. He shoots a lot when usually he would pass.

Reactions: Swedenheim

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Drew in for Kanzig, Milano in for Lorito, Tracey in for Perreault, Stolarz in for Dostal.

I like that Zegras is playing with Milano, and Drysdale is finally playing with someone other than Lowe.

Reactions: UnfinishedBusiness

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad