Samuel Morin Status Update?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Isn't the story on Alt that he's like a freakish athlete that only really dedicated himself to hockey pretty late? He seems to have major tools if he can catch up to the learning curve.

He had an offer to play QB at Iowa but he played both sports equally & hockey was always his clear future. An offer from Minnesota hockey is a lot more prestigious than an offer from Iowa football.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Improving game after game, but won't be ready for next season. Maybe in 2015-16.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
I don't think any sensible person would confuse Mark Alt for someone with good upside but he is big body who can skate & more importantly is a right handed shot so he's going to get a shot in the NHL if not with the Flyers than someone else at some point.

I'm not naive enough to say that Alt would definitely be a better player than Grossmann next year nor his entire career perhaps but as of now we're pretty tight up against the cap & Alt's caphit looks a lot more attractive than Grossmann's does & let's face it Grossmann's not going to make it or break it for this club next year.

From a cap stand point sure, but that's not what I typically see discussed from hfposters. Who cares what he was drafted? The team who drafted him gave him away for nothing..they obviously regret taking him the 2nd.

I think he will get a shot in the nhl most likely, but like i said it's unlikely he's a regular. If he sticks it out as a bottom pairing for 6-7 years, then he'd a great win for us. He's by no means on par with our big 4 defensive prospects.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
From a cap stand point sure, but that's not what I typically see discussed from hfposters. Who cares what he was drafted? The team who drafted him gave him away for nothing..they obviously regret taking him the 2nd.

I think he will get a shot in the nhl most likely, but like i said it's unlikely he's a regular. If he sticks it out as a bottom pairing for 6-7 years, then he'd a great win for us. He's by no means on par with our big 4 defensive prospects.

Carolina didn't just give Alt away for the hell of it. He was used as a sweetener in the deal for us taking on Boucher's contract. Boucher was making $1M playing in the AHL which is a no go for a budget team like Carolina.

We'll see ultimately time will tell, I think he has the tools & makeup to be a solid bottom pairing guy some day in this league. I also don't think anybody puts him in the same tier as the big four. He's in second group with Vasiliev, Willcox, & Friedman.

tuckrr

Nov 28, 2008
Carolina didn't just give Alt away for the hell of it. He was used as a sweetener in the deal for us taking on Boucher's contract. Boucher was making $1M playing in the AHL which is a no go for a budget team like Carolina.

We'll see ultimately time will tell, I think he has the tools & makeup to be a solid bottom pairing guy some day in this league. I also don't think anybody puts him in the same tier as the big four. He's in second group with Vasiliev, Willcox, & Friedman.
I'm sorry but 'sweetener' to take 1 million for one year is about as close 'giveaway' it gets..

Anyways, I'm on my phone, so I can't aggregate posts now, but there are hundreds of mentions of our 'defensive core' always including Alt with Hagg.

I'm just saying that is setting expectations way out of line.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm sorry but 'sweetener' to take 1 million for one year is about as close 'giveaway' it gets..

They were getting zero use out of the million at the NHL level just because you're used to the Flyers not sweating things like that doesn't mean that there isn't teams like Carolina, Phoenix, Florida, etc. that do.

They were paying Boucher $1M in actual salary to play in the minors, the average salary for an AHL player is around under $100K.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

Anyways, I'm on my phone, so I can't aggregate posts now, but there are hundreds of mentions of our 'defensive core' always including Alt with Hagg.

I'm just saying that is setting expectations way out of line.

For one, there were rumors Alt was not going to sign with Carolina. So he was never going to fetch them much in return. And secondly, even if he was a giveaway, that does not disqualify him from being a promising prospect. Do you recall an unheralded young Flyer by the name of Patrick Sharp who was given away?

Anyways, I have Hagg and Alt on a similar level in my books. I'm lower on Hagg than most, but regardless, I think both of them are potential middle pairing guys who are most likely to just become steady third pair players.

Giving Alt the chance to carve out a roster spot for himself this September would hardly be a desperate move. If it means losing Grossmann and allocating those dollars elsewhere, it would actually be an extremely effective roster move.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
For one, there were rumors Alt was not going to sign with Carolina. So he was never going to fetch them much in return. And secondly, even if he was a giveaway, that does not disqualify him from being a promising prospect. Do you recall an unheralded young Flyer by the name of Patrick Sharp who was given away?

Anyways, I have Hagg and Alt on a similar level in my books. I'm lower on Hagg than most, but regardless, I think both of them are potential middle pairing guys who are most likely to just become steady third pair players.

Giving Alt the chance to carve out a roster spot for himself this September would hardly be a desperate move. If it means losing Grossmann and allocating those dollars elsewhere, it would actually be an extremely effective roster move.

HF7 , now that extraskater has advanced stats for minors do you think you could do an interpretation for us about his past season?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Or perhaps more realistically, Maroon.

Sometimes a guy isn't gonna work somewhere. That doesn't mean he won't work elsewhere.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
HF7 , now that extraskater has advanced stats for minors do you think you could do an interpretation for us about his past season?

Extraskater only has the good stuff for the NHL still. And I don't see any AHL stuff...am I missing something? They just have some basic stuff for the CHL.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
oh well, is there any thoughts u can give us based off the chl stuff they have?

There isn't a terrible amount to glean from the information that they do have, unfortunately. It's mainly just stats relating to estimated time on ice. Though, I do find it interesting (and perhaps even a bit unsettling) that Morin appeared to be Rimouski's fourth choice for the PK last year among defenders. I would have expected him to be a bit more of a fixture on their PK.

The QoC stats indicate he wasn't facing the top opponents, but these stats can be misleading when they're not broken down between QoC of forwards and QoC of defenders which is the case.

I don't think they have a wide enough range of data to draw meaningful conclusions from yet.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There isn't a terrible amount to glean from the information that they do have, unfortunately. It's mainly just stats relating to estimated time on ice. Though, I do find it interesting (and perhaps even a bit unsettling) that Morin appeared to be Rimouski's fourth choice for the PK last year among defenders. I would have expected him to be a bit more of a fixture on their PK.

The QoC stats indicate he wasn't facing the top opponents, but these stats can be misleading when they're not broken down between QoC of forwards and QoC of defenders which is the case.

I don't think they have a wide enough range of data to draw meaningful conclusions from yet.

doesn't sound encouraging. If you have the time do you think you could check out nurse and Reinhart as well to get a comparison?

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
He's a long term project. He'll have another year in the Q to develop his two-way game, then at least one more in the AHL to learn how to defend adults.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
doesn't sound encouraging. If you have the time do you think you could check out nurse and Reinhart as well to get a comparison?

Tough to compare players directly with the limited info we have, but from the looks of it, Nurse was in total control of the Greyhounds' blueline, though. Got plenty of special teams ice time and got the tough match ups. And of the GF that he was on the ice for, he had a point on 40.7% of them. Morin's was 40%, so take that for what you will. I don't know exactly how to interpret that statistic.

But Reinhart's (assuming you mean Griffin here) stats make me question the validity of their data. It says he was playing only about 15:20 per game (fifth out of six defenders) with minimal PP and PK time. I didn't watch more than a couple Oil Kings games, but that doesn't sound accurate to me. Though it also said he was facing the opponents' best players, so I have no clue... Would love to hear from an Oil Kings fan if that sounds right.

Also, Morin was Rimouski's go-to guy at even strength it would appear, so take that for what it's worth as well. All of this is based on their "estimated" time on ice data, and I have no clue what their methodology is for estimating that, so it could all just be worthless.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Not surprised that Nurse is farther along. He was a consensus top 10 pick.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It's funny, people dismiss training camp as if they just do it to get in shape, and no player evaluation occurs.

The two junior defensemen will probably return, in the case of Morin, he'd have to be better than a starting defensemen already on the roster to stick, because you don't want to hinder his progress by making him the 7th defenseman or giving him 10 minutes a night.

With Ghost, Alt and Hagg, how they play in camp will determine if they stick or go back to Lehigh. Given they just signed a 7th defensemen, and Grossman seems to be returning, it'll be very hard to stick, since like Morin, they lose all ties.

The difference is that they're only a quick car ride away, and Hextall can drive up and watch them himself and gauge their progress. I see pairings of Alt-Hagg and Lauridsen-Ghost (big stay at home with fast offensive defenseman), mirroring how they'll be used on the parent club. If they develop together, Alt-Hagg might be brought up as a pair, whereas Ghost might be brought up for Schenn, who seems to perform better with a mobile partner.

Given that Hextall wants to dump more salary (Vinny, Streit, are top candidates due to cost and age, Vinny hopefully this summer, Grossman depending on health), the progress of the kids at Lehigh may well make his decisions for him, if Ghost is ready, Streit becomes expendable, if Alt-Hagg are ready to step in, McDonald and Grossman become expendable. While people talk about trading Coburn, I think he's safe until Morin is ready, and that may be 2 more years.

I think Hextall is serious about developing the kids, he'd like to see them get hard coaching at Lehigh, then work them in and move veterans out over the next couple years. I don't think he's against veterans, just far more aware of the importance of keeping the salary cap in mind when planning down the road than Holmgren.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Streit won't be traded.

Pretty much, I don't know why some continue to beat the guy up & lump him in with the undesirables/dead weight. He did exactly what we paid him for last year & finished top 25 in defensemen scoring. He doesn't have a ton of mileage for a player of his age normally would so I see no real reason at the moment to think he'll slow down.

Gostisbehere being ready doesn't make Streit expandable, Gostisbehere being a top 25 scorer for defensemen does though.

Last edited:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pretty much, I don't know why some continue to beat the guy up & lump him in with the undesirables/dead weight. He did exactly what we paid him for last year & finished top 25 in defensemen scoring. He doesn't have a ton of mileage for a player of his age normally would so I see no real reason at the moment to think he'll slow down.

Gostibehere being ready doesn't make Steit expandable, Gostibehere being a top 25 scorer for defensemen does though.

I could certainly see Gostisbehere doing that after Timonen retires next year, I'd like to see him get some games this season but I'm not holding my breath since there's simply no room for him. If Timonen get's hurt I would certainly expect to see him, though. I think Streit can do a lot of the things that Timonen does (offensively) so that'll ease the pain of his retirement.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I could certainly see Gostisbehere doing that after Timonen retires next year, I'd like to see him get some games this season but I'm not holding my breath since there's simply no room for him. If Timonen get's hurt I would certainly expect to see him, though. I think Streit can do a lot of the things that Timonen does (offensively) so that'll ease the pain of his retirement.

I am hopeful he can too but playing top 4 minutes & producing top 25 for your position is a tall order for a rookie defensemen.

If you drop Streit & plug in Gostisbehere because he appears to be ready you're not really putting him in a healthy position to succeed off the bat. Timonen isn't really playing much now a days at ES so I don't think it is unrealistic to think Gostisbehere can take over those minutes while him & Streit take on the PP minutes & hopefully another defender can take on the PK minutes.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I am hopeful he can too but playing top 4 minutes & producing top 25 for your position is a tall order for a rookie defensemen.

If you drop Streit & plug in Gostisbehere because he appears to be ready you're not really putting him in a healthy position to succeed off the bat. Timonen isn't really playing much now a days at ES so I don't think it is unrealistic to think Gostisbehere can take over those minutes while him & Streit take on the PP minutes & hopefully another defender can take on the PK minutes.

Oh no, I'm not saying his rookie season, I'm saying in the near future. I wouldn't even say to drop Streit at all, keep him until the end of his contract and just use Ghost to replace Timonen. I do think Ghost could replace Timonen this year if he's not able to play, but I wouldn't expect him to make a huge impact.

DrHamburg

Mar 12, 2009
New York
Oh no, I'm not saying his rookie season, I'm saying in the near future. I wouldn't even say to drop Streit at all, keep him until the end of his contract and just use Ghost to replace Timonen. I do think Ghost could replace Timonen this year if he's not able to play, but I wouldn't expect him to make a huge impact.

Kimmo was a top pairing dman last season. Advanced stats will tell you this. Saying ghost will be that good is a pretty tall order

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad