Confirmed with Link: Samuel Montembeault extended for 3 years ($3.15M AAV)

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Another strong performance for Monty in a win over Seattle. Hilarious that so many complained about that steal of a contract!

Not sure if it's ignorance or just stubborness.

Reactions: Rapala and Tyson

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Another strong performance for Monty in a win over Seattle. Hilarious that so many complained about that steal of a contract!

The confusing thing is the contradiction. People say that he's not a legit goalie and he's hurting the tank. How is he not a legit goalie if he's hurting the tank for 2 straight seasons now?

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
The confusing thing is the contradiction. People say that he's not a legit goalie and he's hurting the tank. How is he not a legit goalie if he's hurting the tank for 2 straight seasons now?
Starting to think HF Habs is filled with fans of other teams posing as Habs fans... or it's just people with inflated egos not capable of being rational.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

You are not totally wrong. It's easy to go back and see who was saying good things about Sam's progress from day one and who had no faith in him whatsoever. It's hard to find people who were dead set in their assessment acknowledging his work ethic and perseverance. The things I pointed out as flaws IMO last season were rebound control and picking up pucks through traffic. I've seen a net improvement in both areas this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schooner Guy

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He must be the full starter from now on, both because he deserves it and because at the onset of this new contract, he needs to be 'stress-tested' to see what his true workload limit is. He doesn't have to be at Price's level of GP per season, but It will be good for him and the team to give him the chance to truly be given that workload over a long period and let him sink or swim.

If he can't handle it, we at least know we have a 1B to use as a buffer as the prospects come in. If he can handle it, then we have a playoff-caliber goalie who won't hurt the team as they start to eye a spot in the post-season.

I think he has an not-so-longshot at being a legit above average 1G in the NHL.

Reactions: Tuggy

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He must be the full starter from now on, both because he deserves it and because at the onset of this new contract, he needs to be 'stress-tested' to see what his true workload limit is. He doesn't have to be at Price's level of GP per season, but It will be good for him and the team to give him the chance to truly be given that workload over a long period and let him sink or swim.

If he can't handle it, we at least know we have a 1B to use as a buffer as the prospects come in. If he can handle it, then we have a playoff-caliber goalie who won't hurt the team as they start to eye a spot in the post-season.

I think he has an not-so-longshot at being a legit above average 1G in the NHL.
Imagine if both our goalies had a .913 SVP and 2.66 GAA. That's a playoff team if you put Dach back in the lineup.

Monty is 6-3-1 with his 2.66 GAA and .913 SVP. The other two are 5-8-2 with their 3.73 GAA and .894 SVP

Imagine another goalie of equal calibre to Monty were were 8-5-2 in those other 15 games.

Where would we be in the standings if we were 14-8-3? Or even 13-9-3?

Last edited:
Reactions: Walrus26

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
In his last 51 games he is 22-22-4. This is on a bottom 5 team.
The guy can play.
Also it's a team that has been icing many extremely inexperienced dmen in an organization where the top priority during his 2+ years here has been player development over wins-losses.

He was fantastic at the Worlds as well. Canada's most valuable player in a gold medal triumph on international ice playing for a so-so Team Canada entry.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tyson

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
His improvement over the last two years has been crazy.

The most impressive part is he has done this behind a very green defense where he gets peppered with a lot of high danger scoring chances and odd man rushes.
That's how goalies improve: by seeing a lots of pucks.

The Hab goalie coach helped correcting Monty positioning/technic too and Price and Allen gave advices to Monty as well.

It also help that Monty has great stamina.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
The cool part is he embraces playing in this pressure cooker, not everyone can do that. If I am Edmonton I would have done everything to trade for him based on that alone.

My best guess is that Edmonton did try to acquire Montembeault -- for cheap. Fits their management.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The cool part is he embraces playing in this pressure cooker, not everyone can do that. If I am Edmonton I would have done everything to trade for him based on that alone.
To be fair, there’s not much pressure on many players on this team these days. Most people have been hoping for lottery picks the entire time he’s been here. We’re in the middle of a rebuild. Eventually there will be expectations where the team is expected to win and that’s where you can gauge how he handles pressure.

Reactions: Runner77

PavelBrendl

Jul 9, 2013
And some people are meh about this signing. He’s a bargain folks.
I'm meh about it because while he has been very good this season (especially considering the team can't defend for shit), he's only had 10 starts. They're betting on his upside but outside of this quarter-season, he's had a below-average career. Just not convinced quite yet.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His improvement over the last two years has been crazy.

The most impressive part is he has done this behind a very green defense where he gets peppered with a lot of high danger scoring chances and odd man rushes.
The dude has been almost unbeatable on breakaways in open play. This going back through last season.

To be fair, there’s not much pressure on many players on this team these days. Most people have been hoping for lottery picks the entire time he’s been here. We’re in the middle of a rebuild. Eventually there will be expectations where the team is expected to win and that’s where you can gauge how he handles pressure.
Or you can use the World Championship while representing his Country. NO PRESSURE there eh?

Reactions: Leon Lucius Black

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The dude has been almost unbeatable on breakaways in open play. This going back through last season.

Or you can use the World Championship while representing his Country. NO PRESSURE there eh?
World Chanpionships is far from a high pressure tournament. But too pretend Montembault is dealing with the full pressure of our market is disingenuous. A lot of the pressure that comes with this market comes from the expectations the fans put on the player. That’s why they went after guys like Price, Drouin, Subban, etc. Montembault was a waiver wire pick up and a feel good story. At no point were the expectations for him to perform at a high or even medium level. Everything he’s brought has just been a bonus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad