Confirmed with Link: Samuel Montembeault extended for 3 years ($3.15M AAV)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Odd because I have watched him well over 50 games and his glove has never been an issue. His issue is between his ears. He isn't made for this fish bowl.
It’s hard to tell if the fish bowl is at issue. He has the advantage of having grown up in a family where the father had an NHL career. He understood the rigours from a young age.

Now, everyone’s different but if it were really mostly mental, would the Habs’ battery of experts not have flagged it already? Tough to assess when we’re on the outside looking in.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Monty's numbers have been consistently strong when compared to the chances that he faces and that is all that a goalie can control. Save percentage is a stupid stat that does not reflect the difficulty of the saves that the goaltender is being asked to stop.
If save % is a stupid stat, what about ascribing wins and losses to goalies? And yet, there are a ton of posts on this forum using that team-dependent outcome as if it means anything on an individual basis.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

malton

Feb 17, 2009
Fine contract for Monty, was hoping they would move him as i don't see him as a long term solution and a lot of teams are hurting in net. But I guess he'll fill the void for the next couple of years.

Reactions: JRichard

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If save % is a stupid stat, what about ascribing wins and losses to goalies? And yet, there are a ton of posts on this forum using that team-dependent outcome as if it means anything on an individual basis.

The eye test is quite literally the only thing that I really care about. I do like stats but they are there to be used as information that needs to be explained with the eye test.

When people reach sweeping conclusions solely based on stats it drives me nuts as all of your work is still ahead of you when you only have stats. Explaining performance with stats is entirely backwards thinking that is never used by people who are adept at breaking down game tape.

Goaltending is such a confidence dependant position that simply playing on bad teams can be in itself detrimental to a goaltender's performance whereas mediocre goalies can not only easily attain better numbers right across the board but they will usually actually play better as their confidence is sky high.

Sorry if this sounds preachy.....not my intent lol.

Reactions: Runner77

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Fine contract for Monty, was hoping they would move him as i don't see him as a long term solution and a lot of teams are hurting in net. But I guess he'll fill the void for the next couple of years.
The term is right. It will take the likes of Fowler and Q at least 4 years before they sniff the NHL.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Fowler has good some Carey Price into him, i think he will be quicker.
But his numbers do not count as he plays on top team.
If it works that way for goalies on bad teams…

And stop stats watching on hockeydb! We will know in 4-5 years who is right.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
The eye test is quite literally the only thing that I really care about. I do like stats but they are there to be used as information that needs to be explained with the eye test.

When people reach sweeping conclusions solely based on stats it drives me nuts as all of your work is still ahead of you when you only have stats. Explaining performance with stats is entirely backwards thinking that is never used by people who are adept at breaking down game tape.

Goaltending is such a confidence dependant position that simply playing on bad teams can be in itself detrimental to a goaltender's performance whereas mediocre goalies can not only easily attain better numbers right across the board but they will usually actually play better as their confidence is sky high.

Sorry if this sounds preachy.....not my intent lol.
Not preachy at all. But…

Pretty sure you rely on your eyes but not so much on, lets say, my eyes.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Not preachy at all. But…

Pretty sure you rely on your eyes but not so much on, lets say, my eyes.

Well.....I don't know you so I can't endorse or reject your opinion as derived from your "eyes". Hopefully you are brimming with wisdom and are much smarter than I am.

I love discussing players prospects with scouts and/or knowledgeable fans as they often provide suggestions, answers, solutions, context that I require to come to a more comprehensive understanding of a player. To be entirely transparent lol, I can't stand it when unknowledgeable fans chime in and sh*t on a great conversation or waste my time with drivel. I am not necessarily rude but I will often do my best to tune them out.

So yes, I do value other people's eye test as long as they seem competent and are honestly looking to better themselves and potentially myself in return. This should be applied by everyone to every conversation, find the smartest people in the room and learn from them and attempt to share your consensus with those who are at a more rudimentary stage that you once found yourself at.

I would much rather talk to someone and be proven wrong about my theories than be correct and argue with a dimwit only to be dragged into their lair where the skeletons of civil discourse are strewn about and displayed as trophies.

OK......now I am definitely being preachy :help:

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Edmonton has no interest in a bad goalie paid 3 millions a year. They already have Campbell. If you want to trade them Allen you'll have to take Campbell contract in return. People should watch the games Jake Allen is a bad goalie. He's not even a particularly good number 2. Nobody wants bad goalies paid 3 millions a year.
Allen is much more reliable than Campbell. Campbell’s contract was an error. Allen would most likely help Oilers make the playoffs.

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Ok good deal all around. SM was waived habs gave him what should be thought of as his last chance, but guess what? he got better. now he is the best of the 3 habs goalies. Habs gave him a good deal contract, 3 years, at 3.1 per so SAM will get over 10 million US and if he is smart now set for life yet 3 years ago he was doomed to the ahl of khl. Habs know he is not PRICE but habs need time to see prospect goalies to reach the nhl

Reactions: Redux91

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
The Habs have been blessed my entire life with the likes of Dryden, Roy & Price with some outstanding short stints from other tenders. We seem to be in the short stint window? Vegas proved it last year, you can win a cup with a goalie that goes on a heater.
IMHO, it’s a good move to sign SM to a great contract. It’s painful to say but we are still in the rebuild…….. however, I like some of our depth in net. The more I watch and listen to the Fowler kid, the more I like. The HHOF’rs I mentioned seemed to appear out of the “goalie ether” and simply dominated in big games, let’s hope it’s not too long until the hockey gods smile on us again. Cheers

Reactions: Redux91

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Fine contract. I don't think he's the solution for a team that wants to contend, but we're definitely not contending in the next 2 years. In 3 years, I guess we'll see, hopefully Primeau, Fowler or someone else comes in and steals the starter spot.

The Habs have been blessed my entire life with the likes of Dryden, Roy & Price with some outstanding short stints from other tenders.
For sure! Moog, Hackett, Theodore, Huet, Halak were all good to great for their tenure here, with Roy and Price holding the fort for longer term...

That said, I'm 39 and the vast majority of seasons I've seen the Habs do good it was BECAUSE of their goalies. I'd like to see them dominate offensively too in the future.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So Habs will celebrate Monty's contract by glueing his ass to the bench tomorrow? Why no-one takes Allen? He is so great. He won the cup, FFS!

Come on, Oilers!

Reactions: StCaufield

StCaufield

Mar 14, 2022
Habs are in a rebuild ....we're trying to season our young guys ...and
when we are READY to run (maybe starting next season?) and get a big UFA or 2...

He has already shown he can handle the pressure ....with a good team in front ....when it
counts the most.....I can envision him taking us on a deep run in the playoffs...

Im aware of him dominating for Canada. Like I said there’s no issues here contractually because he will be a great backup unless he keeps improving which I hope

So Habs will celebrate Monty's contract by glueing his ass to the bench tomorrow? Why no-one takes Allen? He is so great. He won the cup, FFS!

Come on, Oilers!
We got to stick to da game plan

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Fine contract, but it does make it so that all of our goalies are no completely worthless in a trade

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Oilers are righting their ship.
As long as they don't have another loosing streak, they can afford to wait and give Campbell a chance to find his game.

If Campbell can't recover or if they loose 3 in a row, you have to think they will move on a Goalie.

They are scouting Columbus and us, at least for Goalies.

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
reading this article (en francais) you can't help but cheer for this guy..

https://www.tvasports.ca/2022/12/16/montembeault-la-quete-silencieuse-dun-jeune-homme-unique
Interesting article (from Dec. 2022) about his background, thanks for sharing. There's even a Tavares moment in there!
1701554498374.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad