Prospect Info: Samuel Blais

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So...seeing him tower over Schwartz....can we finally agree this kid is 6-3" like he said.

Yea...im still on that kick

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I thought he was fine last night, but I don't think I'm as on board the hype train as everyone else. He looked very much like a rookie to me. He had a few awful turnovers (most noticeably the one to Kane that led to a lot of sustained pressure) and the puck died on his stick numerous times in the offensive zone. I'm not complaining as these are rookie mistakes that should be expected. But I thought he looked out of place on the 2nd line last night. He was very good against Tampa, but he reminded me a lot of Thompson last night whenever Chicago pressured him with the puck. He was a possession black hole, Schwartz scored 2 of his 3 goals without him on the ice and he made zero impact on the goal he was on the ice for (he came off the bench and was the other forward in the offensive zone on Schwartz's 2nd off Allen's pass). He missed a chance to break up a pass on a 3 on 3 for Chicago's only real chance of the 1st period and looked lost on D several times when we got hemmed into our own zone. I don't see how anyone could argue that he was one of our 10 best forwards last night and I'd argue that he wasn't in the top 11. But Barby also wasn't great, so maybe a bit of a toss up there.

I'm still thrilled with his development trajectory, but I'd have him on the 3rd line tonight. I saw very little last night that I would consider impressive.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I will go as far as 6'2" and a half, and this is my final offer.
456adcfcf72703bb44e4e7379b755597b209ad4555fa0f421b1b48883d763f33.jpg

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
Last night was the first night I actually got to watch Blais from start to finish. Most days the Blues play, I'm working, so I have some thoughts about his play just from watching:

This game he looked either uncertain, passive, or just didn't support well enough. He did make a power move to the net much like Jaskin does, and that was nice to see. He doesn't have the wheels, otherwise that would've been a partial breakaway and he would've had a chance to take a shot. I did notice him trying to be responsible defensively and coming back to tie up a Chicago player, but as far as offense last night, there wasn't a whole lot going on. Personally, I'd try him on the powerplay to get some confidence and some touches on the puck, but that's just me wanting him to score haha. Only reason I say this is because Dunn looked good last night and his puck moving was way more noticeable in my mind last night than other nights (and it was apparent on the powerplay). Idk just some quick thoughts and wishful thinking.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
He reminded me of Perron last night, trying to draw penalties. I think it worked once, and another time he had a penalty called on him. This isn't soccer, you have got to bring more to the table that just that.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I didn't follow Blais the whole game, but he made some nice moves in the offensive zone. He made a nice move on Toews that caused Toews to take a penalty.

I was at the game, but had a bad angle on the goaltender interference play.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I thought he was fine last night, but I don't think I'm as on board the hype train as everyone else. He looked very much like a rookie to me. He had a few awful turnovers (most noticeably the one to Kane that led to a lot of sustained pressure) and the puck died on his stick numerous times in the offensive zone. I'm not complaining as these are rookie mistakes that should be expected. But I thought he looked out of place on the 2nd line last night. He was very good against Tampa, but he reminded me a lot of Thompson last night whenever Chicago pressured him with the puck. He was a possession black hole, Schwartz scored 2 of his 3 goals without him on the ice and he made zero impact on the goal he was on the ice for (he came off the bench and was the other forward in the offensive zone on Schwartz's 2nd off Allen's pass). He missed a chance to break up a pass on a 3 on 3 for Chicago's only real chance of the 1st period and looked lost on D several times when we got hemmed into our own zone. I don't see how anyone could argue that he was one of our 10 best forwards last night and I'd argue that he wasn't in the top 11. But Barby also wasn't great, so maybe a bit of a toss up there.

I'm still thrilled with his development trajectory, but I'd have him on the 3rd line tonight. I saw very little last night that I would consider impressive.
I would say he has been impressive relative to before season expectations. Blais was underwhelming relative to his position in the lineup last night, but still looked decent based on his trajectory. You can see the potential through the lack of refinement. He still seems better than Tage this season. But both offer promise and based on where they are in their development, I am happy enough.

I thought Barbashev was subpar once again. I mean that both relative to expectations and relative to the position he held. He is showing a lot of what I saw his first year with the Wolves. He is just aloof many shifts and has a handful of good ones that remind you of his potential. He is solid enough that he doesn’t hurt you defensively, but he leaves a lot to be desired in all other facets of the game.

Dunn is they guy that I have been excited about for a while. He is starting to show the potential exhibited in junior. The kid can be special, so long as he continues to refine his positioning defensively.

Reactions: ChicagoBlues

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
On my fantrax hockey pool his name was always listed as Samuel Blais... Now i notice its changed to Sammy Blais ... Does he go by Samuel, Sam or Sammy???!! hahah

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Was hoping for a Blais breakout goal last night. He seems a little hesitant and his positioning looked off, especially in our zone. I hope he figures it out in time. The clock is ticking.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Dunn...now that guy looked good last night. And not just his goal...which was fantastic BTW.

Blais needs to hang around with Dunn and get some of his swagger.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Blais has been up 3 games and got his first point, i don't see how "his clock is ticking" not everyone can be Schwartz, Tarasenko, or Fabbri and score I their first shot in the league. Plus he's not projected like them either, he's gonna be a 3rd liner tops.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Blais is "safe" unless Thompson or Kostin go nuclear in the AHL. I think he could be a 2nd liner, he has instincts, what looks like a potentially good shot and he has some vision. If he can use his big 6'3 body to make room, he could be a top 6 player.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Blais has been up 3 games and got his first point, i don't see how "his clock is ticking" not everyone can be Schwartz, Tarasenko, or Fabbri and score I their first shot in the league. Plus he's not projected like them either, he's gonna be a 3rd liner tops.

Yeah most 21 year olds arent in the NHL. But he is in the NHL more because of injuries and he is more ready than Tage/Klim, I think he could use some more time in the AHL.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Blais' skating is concerning to me. There have been several times the past couple games where it looked like he was behind/chasing the play because he couldn't get to where he needed to be in time. He just looks slow out there IMO.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Didn't Panger said Blais is curently 5'10'' and 205 lbs? I believe Panger

PoPQt.jpg
Why would you beleive Panger over Blais? Thats like me saying I dont beleive you're Finnish because Dizee told me otherwise

Last edited:

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Why would you beleive Panger over Blais? Thats like me saying I dont beleive your Finnish because Dizee told me otherwise
Don't know which you intended, but I enjoyed that this sentence works regardless of whether you meant "your" or "you're."

Never really occurred to me that it was possible. I guess sometimes you just have to see it to beleive it. ;)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Don't know which you intended, but I enjoyed that this sentence works regardless of whether you meant "your" or "you're."

Never really occurred to me that it was possible. I guess sometimes you just have to see it to beleive it. ;)
Phone post fail. I get a bit imput lag with the new site....

It is neat it did work out like that. I meant you're, but I went and checked, and your works too.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Dude looks good. Young and imperfect, like rookies do, but he belongs. Not everybody can shoot like Tarasenko or skate like Fabbri.

The best indicator is that he keeps getting chances. He has missed the net on a couple, but goalies have also made some great saves. He could easily have a couple goals already. When a player consistently creates and finds himself with the puck on his stick in scoring areas, that's a good sign, regardless of the results over a tiny sample size.

Splatter

Sep 13, 2010
St. Louis
I'm not as wowed by him as I was during the preseason, but that was expected. I still prefer him over Thompson and mainstay Paajarvi. I hope he stays up for the season.

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
Dunn...now that guy looked good last night. And not just his goal...which was fantastic BTW.

Blais needs to hang around with Dunn and get some of his swagger.
That may just happen. Was listening to an interview with Vince Dunn on Strickland's radio show, and Dunn said that he and Blais were friends and roommates in Chicago last year and would be roommates on the road for the Blues as well.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Dude looks good. Young and imperfect, like rookies do, but he belongs. Not everybody can shoot like Tarasenko or skate like Fabbri.

The best indicator is that he keeps getting chances. He has missed the net on a couple, but goalies have also made some great saves. He could easily have a couple goals already. When a player consistently creates and finds himself with the puck on his stick in scoring areas, that's a good sign, regardless of the results over a tiny sample size.
Well put...the description reminds me of Mark Stone. Not really comparing them in any way but you can't put your finger on why they are so productive. Well...if Blais becomes productive.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Well put...the description reminds me of Mark Stone. Not really comparing them in any way but you can't put your finger on why they are so productive. Well...if Blais becomes productive.

Yea. The comparison I like is Justin Williams.

Maaaaybe like...mini-mini-Robitaille. The sheer quality/productivity of Robitaille makes the comparison awkward for most people, but there's something stylistically there, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad