Value of: Sami Vatenan to the Leafs

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
No need. Leafs already have Liljegren and Vatanen doesn't have the defensive ability to improve the blueline. Would rather package AJ/Kapanen with prospects/picks for Manson who is a proven shut down guy and a decent cap hit.

Reactions: d0rkwing

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Well most people think a 1st is an overpayment but a late 2nd doesn’t seem too enticing either so I guess a 2nd and a prospect? NJ can probably take cap back for a better return as well.

d0rkwing

Jan 2, 2020
No need. Leafs already have Liljegren and Vatanen doesn't have the defensive ability to improve the blueline. Would rather package AJ/Kapanen with prospects/picks for Manson who is a proven shut down guy and a decent cap hit.
Thing is, Liljegren would have to come back over for it to make sense for Anaheim. They’re desperately anemic on RHD depth, and selling off one of their best for anything less than a future replacement would be poor asset management....although now that I’ve typed that out I’m scared because that’s GMBM’s calling card.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Thing is, Liljegren would have to come back over for it to make sense for Anaheim. They’re desperately anemic on RHD depth, and selling off one of their best for anything less than a future replacement would be poor asset management....although now that I’ve typed that out I’m scared because that’s GMBM’s calling card.

Given their state, they have a lot of rebuilding to do and Toronto is looking to upgrade, not move more defensive depth. From a roster POV, they have many many quality wingers, hence why it would be moved from that position. I understand your POV though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I may be in the minorty I'm not sure but I think something could be built around Lilly and Manson

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This is one of those give to get scenarios in which i would put Liljegren on the table. My concern is Manson's play this year...he looks off, maybe still recovering?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Vatanen is going to vegas. I just think its a matter of when

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Vatanen will catch his stride back in Anaheim. Just to fulfill the majority Ducks fans wanting a RHD. What’s the cost re acquisition.

Anaheim did the same damn thing with Etem in Vancouver, and re acquiring players. What’s the cost of Vatanen back in Anaheim.

awegrzyn

Jun 17, 2014
Semi Vatanen is a top 50 scoring D in the league. That makes him first pair. Bottom, but still first.
Player like that is worth a first rounder. Sometimes it takes a decade to draft a D man like that. NJ did not draft any D man like that in more than a decade.

If they are not selling him high, they should resign him.

Reactions: MakoSlade

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Semi Vatanen is a top 50 scoring D in the league. That makes him first pair. Bottom, but still first.
Player like that is worth a first rounder. Sometimes it takes a decade to draft a D man like that. NJ did not draft any D man like that in more than a decade.

Not to be a tool here, but how does points make you a top pair? What about, i don't know...defense from a defenseman?

d0rkwing

Jan 2, 2020
This is one of those give to get scenarios in which i would put Liljegren on the table. My concern is Manson's play this year...he looks off, maybe still recovering?
Hard to say, though it’s reasonable to assume he’s still not back to 100% after his injury. In addition, I’m of the opinion that Manson plays his best hockey on a team that has a clear path forward to the playoffs. His best hockey with the Ducks was in the years where they were still clearly in the playoff hunt. Also, the anxiety of thinking he might be traded could be messing with him at some level, and by ripping the bandaid off in sending him to a playoff contender that could be enough to get him back on track. Of course that’s all purely conjecture without anything to back it up, but it kind of resonates? These guys are human and subject to the same worries & stumbles as we are. They just happen to get paid millions doing what they love.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Hard to say, though it’s reasonable to assume he’s still not back to 100% after his injury. In addition, I’m of the opinion that Manson plays his best hockey on a team that has a clear path forward to the playoffs. His best hockey with the Ducks was in the years where they were still clearly in the playoff hunt. Also, the anxiety of thinking he might be traded could be messing with him at some level, and by ripping the bandaid off in sending him to a playoff contender that could be enough to get him back on track. Of course that’s all purely conjecture without anything to back it up, but it kind of resonates? These guys are human and subject to the same worries & stumbles as we are. They just happen to get paid millions doing what they love.
Good post, thanks.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

I agree get what you can but a first is good for vats or 2nd and top prospect is just as good

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
The price for Vats will be determined by how many Top 4 RHD with term are truly available to be moved. We have the Leafs, Tampa, Florida and Winnipeg all looking for Top 4 RHD with term. If Dumba, Mason and Ritso all move then the market for Vats will be low. If none of these players move because they are either unavailable or the price is too high then the price for Vats will go up.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
1st and prospect, you guys dont have the 1st. I'd really want the 1st for this year... so idk how else the deal would be done. But he would definitely suit the Leafs, idk if I'd go for a UFA at the end of the season tho

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
2nd and a prospect is probably what I would see. Not a great prospect, but an okay one.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I could see a more "hockey" trade of Vatanen with a contract for one of the young forwards, kind of like stone at the deadline last year

Last edited:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Would Larsson for Vats & a 3rd be close? Go easy on me I rarely make proposals lol

Yah that makes sense. Ducks fans begging for a RHD because Manson sucks. We get a scoring threat on the back end. Ship Manson to Toronto for whatever they want to offer. Top pairing D is fixed. But our forward core is still ass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad