Value of: Sami Vatanen to the Devils

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Its going to take at least Henrique plus a pick. A couple of Ducks fans in other threads agreed to a trade revolving around those 2 guys.

or they are going to ask for a player like Zacha or McLeod.

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
2018 1st+
Or Henrique if we get some clarity on our finances beforehand. Despres/Eaves/Stoner/Bieksa/etc.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Not willing to move Henrique at this time.

why? with the impending influx of LW and C on our team, he has no place. not to mention most others either project better offensively or are currently better defensively than him

don't think i'd be a fan of moving a prospect or 1st for vatanen (not to say he isn't worth it, but i'd rather hold onto those assets), so if we're not moving someone like rico i don't see a deal to be made

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I'd be willing to do Henrique+ for Vatenen. I like Rico but we have plenty of LW and C depth.

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
I'd rather try and move assets than anyone who can score on this team. Sure maybe at trade deadline this year when we see what we have, but not now

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
2018 1st+
Or Henrique if we get some clarity on our finances beforehand. Despres/Eaves/Stoner/Bieksa/etc.

This post confuses me because at this point the 2018 1st has greater value than Henrique.

Unless you're saying the 2018 first is top 5 protected or something.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
why? with the impending influx of LW and C on our team, he has no place. not to mention most others either project better offensively or are currently better defensively than him

don't think i'd be a fan of moving a prospect or 1st for vatanen (not to say he isn't worth it, but i'd rather hold onto those assets), so if we're not moving someone like rico i don't see a deal to be made

Because I would rather keep our versatile top 6 forward and try to address the RHD via another route (Shattenkirk?) or wait a year to address it.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
well of course, if we can sign Shattenkirk then we do not need Vatanen since we would have Shatty/Severson/Santini on the right side going forward.

I assumed this proposal meant if that does NOT pan out.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
This post confuses me because at this point the 2018 1st has greater value than Henrique.

Unless you're saying the 2018 first is top 5 protected or something.

Top 5 protected would be fine. I also think the Devils will be a playoff bubble team.

well of course, if we can sign Shattenkirk then we do not need Vatanen since we would have Shatty/Severson/Santini on the right side going forward.

This is only possible before the expansion draft as that is the main reason Vats is even available.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Top 5 protected would be fine. I also think the Devils will be a playoff bubble team.

This is only possible before the expansion draft as that is the main reason Vats is even available.

Just curious what makes you think that? Their offense and defense are both bad, and Schneider has shown even in beast mode he can't carry the team anywhere near playoff bubble.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

Fair point.

I am hoping that if Shero is after Shatty, he tries to trade for his rights but if nothing like that happens before the expansion draft, I would be fine with a deal centered around Henrique and Vatanen.

Just curious what makes you think that? Their offense and defense are both bad, and Schneider has shown even in beast mode he can't carry the team anywhere near playoff bubble.

adding Patrick/Hischier plus potentially McLeod and Zacha with another year under his belt should be a good boost for the offense.

We do agree that the D needs to be heavily upgraded. I am hoping that we can get a guy like Shattenkirk/Vatanen as well as maybe make another trade for a LHD. The DEvils' biggest weakness is the transition game from the D zone to the O zone. If we can go into the year with a D corps of something along the lines of:

LHD Trade-Vatanen OR Shattenkirk
Greene-Severson
Merrill-Santini

I think we're in decent shape. Still obviously not great yet.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ

This trade would have to happen before the expansion draft. meaning we wouldn't know what happens with Shattenkirk until afterwards

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
LHD Trade-Vatanen OR Shattenkirk
Greene-Severson
Merrill-Santini

I think we're in decent shape. Still obviously not great yet.
this is the problem: we need to acquire a top defensive pair to even be in decent shape lol we already struck gold with the lottery and most likely will strike gold with a kovy deal so i'm at the point of thinking anything can happen, but i'd be surprised if we lucked out on all fronts

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
this is the problem: we need to acquire a top defensive pair to even be in decent shape lol we already struck gold with the lottery and most likely will strike gold with a kovy deal so i'm at the point of thinking anything can happen, but i'd be surprised if we lucked out on all fronts

Of course, but I think Shero realizes it. Every interview hes been apart of in the offseason indicates hes ready to gear up to make some moves. We have the ammunition (picks/cap space) to do so.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
I'd do a deal revolving around Henrique/Vatanen but we've got Silfverberg and Gibson likely getting a fair bit in raises the year that Henrique expires without anybody really coming off the books to give us cap relief. (we get about .5M from Fistric's buyout going away but that's literally it)

At this point, I wouldn't mind settling for futures; Vatanen's 5M cap hit becomes an asset for us once we move it; we can use it to possibly resign Eaves and also save some cap space for our cap-a-geddon 2.0 next offseason as well as the offseason after with Silfverberg and Gibson.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If I'm moving Henrique, I'd prefer a trade that addresses our barren left side.

We need help on both sides, but I think we have a better shot at Shattenkirk than people think. With Shatty/Severson/Santini, there's obviously no room for Vatanen.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I'd do a deal revolving around Henrique/Vatanen but we've got Silfverberg and Gibson likely getting a fair bit in raises the year that Henrique expires without anybody really coming off the books to give us cap relief. (we get about .5M from Fistric's buyout going away but that's literally it)

At this point, I wouldn't mind settling for futures; Vatanen's 5M cap hit becomes an asset for us once we move it; we can use it to possibly resign Eaves and also save some cap space for our cap-a-geddon 2.0 next offseason as well as the offseason after with Silfverberg and Gibson.

I'd be much more inclined to acquire Vatanen for picks than surrender Henrique, that's for certain.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think the ducks will be looking to trade Vatanen for a young forward with a good contract.
The ducks need to create salary space to address other needs (Fowler) and overall cap issues. Henrique is a fine player, but I don't think he's what the ducks want, particularly because the actual dollars on his contract dollars are higher than the annual value for salary cap purposes.

Maybe it works if NJ retained or took a bad contract (Stoner/Depres) - not sure if they'd be willing to do so.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think the ducks will be looking to trade Vatanen for a young forward with a good contract.
The ducks need to create salary space to address other needs (Fowler) and overall cap issues. Henrique is a fine player, but I don't think he's what the ducks want, particularly because the actual dollars on his contract dollars are higher than the annual value for salary cap purposes.

Maybe it works if NJ retained or took a bad contract (Stoner/Depres) - not sure if they'd be willing to do so.

If we're eating a bad contract, then we're not going to give up Henrique in the deal.

The Duck Knight

Feb 6, 2012
Henrique + DSP for Vatanen + Any of Stoner / Despres / Bieksa

That would be pretty darn good from a Ducks standpoint, provided we don't get a really good futures package. Stoner and Vats would give you a ready made D pair with chemistry and DSP could get another shot on Getzlaf's RW or on the 4th line. Despres would make it bad for NJ (too risky with the term/injuries) and Bieksa won't waive for the Devils.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
Not interested in Vatanen at the prices people are asking for. If I'm offering something like Henrique+ I'd rather go after Brodin, Dumba or Fowler. Would rather hope to sign Shatty than give up a ton of assets for Vatanen.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Devils need to keep drafting and develop their own Vatanen. Keep Henrique as good centers are hard to find in this league. I don't think NJ will be competitive in the next few years. Just keep building and do it right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad