Sami Salo

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
To my eyes last season, Salo was great for the first 10 games, good for the next 10 games, then average down the stretch. Possibly a nagging injury, fatigue/age, or just discouraged by all the losing, I don't know. He will be 39 this season. So I ask you, can he do well, and stay healthy, for a full 82 game season in your opinion?

The Wyzerhood

A league of his own
Oct 3, 2008
I don't think Salo will stay healthy for the full year. Brewer will likely move up to the first pair, which worries me the most, but it'll be nice to see if Gudas can hold his own with Carle on the 2nd pair. The only other positive would be the opportunity it presents for one of our defensemen in Cuse to see if they're ready for the NHL (Barberio, Sustr etc.)

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
That could be said for many players, even Hedman. The entire team started out really well and then just fizzled. I don't know if we can single out Salo. I think it was a Boucher issue more than a health issue.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
His history says no and he's overdue to sit out for something.

As long as it's not a long term injury, we'll be ok. It could give some guys like Barberio a chance to get more NHL experience and break into the line up.

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
Don't bet on it. Sammi is a fine defence man, but has a long history of injuries. Ironically in the 2011 SCF he was probably the only Canuck d not injured. Solid player but seldom
plays an entire season. You will need a good back up option when he gets injured.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
dEhsl5t.png

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
I'll be happy with him playing 70 games the regular season and all 16-28 games played in the post season.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Here's a question. Salo is quite old. Who's gonna replace him down the road?

I really wouldn't mind trading for somebody like Edler. I think he'd come cheap enough, compared to other top D we'd want anyway.

Don't know what thread to post this in, so feel free to move it elsewhere.

Last edited:

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay

I really wouldn't mind trading for somebody like Edler. I think he'd come cheap enough, compared to other top D we'd want anyway.

Vancouver hasnt looked great this year so far. If they keep loosing, they may be looking to make another big move. Maybe we can get lucky and get Edler from them. It would take something big, but it might be worth it. Be a lot of young talent + picks prolly.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL

Isn't Edler the Canucks top dmen? If not yet, he will be eventually. I don't see him coming cheap.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
Isn't Edler the Canucks top dmen? If not yet, he will be eventually. I don't see him coming cheap.

He's their number 3 or 4, isn't he? If not, woops. But still, I feel as if compared to other top Dmen in the league, he'd be cheaper.

But then again, Gillis.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

In all likelihood, probably another aging FA defenseman will wind up replacing Salo. With the cap going up and Vinny's contract off the books, and Salo's contract in the future, TB should have some room to move.

I think in terms of making a move for a big-time D-man, it's more a question of if we want to go all in with Hedman or not as a team cornerstone.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Goodluck finding an upgrade that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, Salo's been fine, not sure what you guys are wound up about.

His mistakes have been minor as opposed to some of Hedman and Gudas's blown plays, and he's only been a minus player in 1 game thus far.

Wizeman*

I dont think Yzerman wants to pay the asking price.

As for Salo, we should get 70 games out of him . He was a great signing. :handclap:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
There are other teams in the league we can get D from, we don't have to keep going the Vancouver route.

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
Goodluck finding an upgrade that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, Salo's been fine, not sure what you guys are wound up about.

His mistakes have been minor as opposed to some of Hedman and Gudas's blown plays, and he's only been a minus player in 1 game thus far.

I'm not wound up, I'm actually quite satisfied with his overall play. It's almost inevitable that we need a replacement since he's in his last year of his contract, so why not replace him with a better player. We have a largely talented prospect pool, there not all going to be able to fit on this roster in a 3-4 years down the road so why not make a nice package for a better defensmen? Or another option see what UFAs are there come July 1st.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013

What does where Edler ranks on the Canucks chart have to do with his value. Youre right..he's not cheap.

Edler is a 27 year old 45 point top pairing Dman. He skates well, lays crushing hits, and has a 103mph slap shot....oh...AND he's locked up to a deal that pays him less than what he's worth.

players like this rarely hit UFA status.players like this are rarely traded. It would take an impressive package to trade for Edler. Grade 'A' prospect and a solid player is fair market value. I dont know if Tampa has a prospect out side of Drouin that makes it work.
Killorn + Purcell
Panik + Gudas + Purcell

Last edited:

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
What does where Edler ranks on the Canucks chart have to do with his value. Youre right..he's not cheap.

Edler is a 27 year old 45 point top pairing Dman. He skates well, lays crushing hits, and has a 103mph slap shot....oh...AND he's locked up to a deal that pays him less than what he's worth.

players like this rarely hit UFA status.players like this are rarely traded. It would take an impressive package to trade for Edler. Grade 'A' prospect and a solid player is fair market value. I dont know if Tampa has a prospect out side of Drouin that makes it work.
Killorn + Purcell
Panik + Gudas + Purcell

I'm not sure if that's a serious question?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...alo-feeling-younger-than-his-39-years/2150147
Sami Salo would like to continue playing hockey after this season.

The Lightning defenseman said he still has the passion and the game still is fun. The only question is, at 39 years old, is there still time?

"We'll see during the season how things progress and how I feel," Salo said.

Right now, though, he said, "I don't feel like I'm 39."
For the record, Salo, in his 15th NHL season, is the league's ninth-oldest player. But as coach Jon Cooper said, "I don't look at his age. It's just a number for me. You look at him and say, 'Can the guy play?' And Sami can clearly still play."
"There have been times that's [retirement] been in my mind: 'Is it really worth it to keep putting yourself out there?' " said Salo, who is in the final year of a two-year, $7.5 million deal. "But that's how I was raised by my dad, who fought cancer and died after three months of battling. That's how I learned to never quit and keep playing until you can't."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad