Avalanche-Jets: 789,800 average for 5 games
Hurricanes-Islanders: 662,000 average for 5 games
Canucks-Predators: 582,833 average for 6 games
Oilers-Kings: 477,000 average for 5 games

Reactions: S E P H and Reaser

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
For clarifications sake, when ESPN programming airs on ABC, it becomes an ESPN network. That is consistent with how ESPN reports it because the deal with the NHL is not with ABC, it is with ESPN. ABC is simply where the games may air, as “ESPN on ABC” or something like it (“NHL on ESPN”).

Folks here may notice, in ESPN’s own PR, they do not mention that it had aired on ABC. What they would do if it hadn’t is say that it was a record ‘on cable.’

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The BOS/TOR game is good when it comes to the average viewers, but is quite beastly when it comes to the number it peaked at. I know that info is useless, but it shows that it had hype even if it was not able to sustain it.

For clarifications sake, when ESPN programming airs on ABC, it becomes an ESPN network. That is consistent with how ESPN reports it because the deal with the NHL is not with ABC, it is with ESPN. ABC is simply where the games may air, as “ESPN on ABC” or something like it (“NHL on ESPN”).

Folks here may notice, in ESPN’s own PR, they do not mention that it had aired on ABC. What they would do if it hadn’t is say that it was a record ‘on cable.’

Great point here, which I believe is due to the fact that this game did not beat the 2012 Bruins/Caps game on NBC (which is non-cable). I don't recall that 2012 game, what was so valuable about it to get such a high view count? Besides it being a match-up between two American teams instead of 1 USA/1 Canada like this 2024 one was.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The BOS/TOR game is good when it comes to the average viewers, but is quite beastly when it comes to the number it peaked at. I know that info is useless, but it shows that it had hype even if it was not able to sustain it.

Great point here, which I believe is due to the fact that this game did not beat the 2012 Bruins/Caps game on NBC (which is non-cable). I don't recall that 2012 game, what was so valuable about it to get such a high view count? Besides it being a match-up between two American teams instead of 1 USA/1 Canada like this 2024 one was.
Probably because ESPN is way better at promotion and publicizing their product than NBC is, along with it being Game 7. I don’t think NBC ever has Game 7’s on a weekend. I’m guessing NBC didn’t like the uncertainty. If you notice, ESPN and TNT wait longer to announce start times as well.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The 2012 NBC game in question was on a Sunday afternoon just 24 hours after Game 5 and suddenly the 2011 Cup champs could be eliminated after Boston lost Game 5.

Boston won that Game 6 only to lose Game 7 in OT that was on NBCSN and the local RSNs as well.

1715148986012.png

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Sportsnet gambled 10 years ago they could get a few long Toronto playoff runs and it didn't happen. The harsh reality of Canadian English TV is even if Vancouver or Edmonton makes the SCF they will not come close to matching these numbers.

The NHL will be hard-pressed to match what Rogers is currently paying in the new contract that kicks in for 2026-2027.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I don’t think NBC ever has Game 7’s on a weekend. I’m guessing NBC didn’t like the uncertainty. If you notice, ESPN and TNT wait longer to announce start times as well.

NBC was always leery of prime-time games on Saturday night into May because of

1715152211176.png

On nights SNL was in a rerun there was no issue but on nights they were going live at 11:30 PM ET there was tension.

Still, the ABC numbers are astonishing given they had less than 45 hours to promote it. I suspect the ratings in Boston, Providence, Manchester, Springfield and Portland. ME were large.

Disney has to be drooling over a possible Boston/New York matchup in Round 3 for both the NHL and NBA.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
I wonder if TSN and Sportsnet will do a joint deal

FWIW, a week ago today the CEO of Rogers was at some club luncheon and said the NHL deal has been a "terrific deal for [Rogers.]" Which, ha, but also goes against the doomsday predictions.

Also said re: upcoming negotiations: "it's something we're very interested in and something we will chase and certainly expect to be at the table."

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012

Sportsnet gambled 10 years ago they could get a few long Toronto playoff runs and it didn't happen. The harsh reality of Canadian English TV is even if Vancouver or Edmonton makes the SCF they will not come close to matching these numbers.

The NHL will be hard-pressed to match what Rogers is currently paying in the new contract that kicks in for 2026-2027.

I dunno... The '11 final with Vancouver produced some pretty big numbers (looks like games averaged between ~5.5 - ~8.5), so while the Leafs are the viewership ubergods, other teams/markets can pull in a large amount of viewers.

But ya, in general, Rogers has been unlucky throughout the length of the contract. Even the one year they got Montreal in the final was also a weird COVID year where pretty much all sports viewership was tanking hard. The NHL certainly isn't doing Rogers any favours this round... Vancouver/Edmonton Sunday starting @ 9:30PM ET... lulz :rolleyes:

As far as the next Canadian media deal goes... I dunno, from what we know/heard, it probably doesn't make sense to expect an increase, but media rights across the board have gone goofy, and don't seem to make sense, so... :dunno:

Last edited:

Reaser

May 19, 2021
I mean, he was never going to criticise it in public.

Right, was tying in to the second part of the quote where he said "very interested" and going to "chase." As opposed to something more token, and opposed to the doomsday: "no one is going to bid on Canadian rights. Rogers got killed on this deal, they're out. CBC is broke, TSN only wants regional rights ..." etc. that gets bandied around the forum.

Most of us has said/hypothesized it's likely to be a split package with streaming component, similar in practice to the current U.S. deal.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
I dunno... The '11 final with Vancouver produced some pretty big numbers (looks like games averaged between ~5.5 - ~8.5), so while the Leafs are the viewership ubergods, other teams/markets can pull in a large amount of viewers.

I believe Game 7 of that series still has the "on record" record for most-watched game in NA (across the U.S. and Canada.) 18.2M or 18.3M depending on source.

Also believe the series has the record for most-watched SCF across the U.S. and Canada, on record.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ

But ya, in general, Rogers has been unlucky throughout the length of the contract. Even the one year they got Montreal in the final was also a weird COVID year where pretty much all sports viewership was tanking hard. The NHL certainly isn't doing Rogers any favours this round... Vancouver/Edmonton Sunday starting @ 9:30PM ET... lulz :rolleyes:

As far as the next Canadian media deal goes... I dunno, from what we know/heard, it probably doesn't make sense to expect an increase, but media rights across the board have gone goofy, and don't seem to make sense, so... :dunno:

One word: Amazon. If Amazon wants to further have rights in Canada (and the US in the future), they could throw billions to continue to have the Monday games as well playoff games in Canada.

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Ya, if I had to make a prediction I would guess the next deal includes Rogers, Bell, and a third party (I guess given recent news Amazon would seem to have interest), and combined the NHL will get a bump... It very obviously won't be the 250% or whatever increase the league got last time, but it will be something. I'm basing this on not much than vibes though, so...

As I type this one thing that did pop into my head... Last time the Canadian rights were being hammered out there seemed to be a decent chance of an additional team, or even two, showing up in Canada. Additional teams means additional content... I wonder if there was any speculation going on along those lines that helped to goose up what the various bidders, and ultimately Rogers, was willing to pay? A decade or so later, and it would appear that if anything, the Canadian market is going to be marginalized in the coming years, I wonder if that will have an impact? :dunno:

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad