Post-Game Talk: Same team, another season. Leafs put in a lacklustre effort lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well if that all it takes to nullify this super expensive core then we are going to have a very tough time going forward.
If it is so obvious how to beat the Leafs we will never have success in the playoffs.
If this team cannot find a way to beat this then why are we paying so much for the core players.
in my humble opinion these are just excuses, good teams figure out how to beat bad teams
  1. we've already had a tough time when teams adopt this strategy
  2. a primary reason we haven't had success in the playoffs
  3. have to ask the former GM about that one
  4. good teams with good coaches figure this out. It takes more thought than mixing up the lines 5 times a night

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Well if that all it takes to nullify this super expensive core then we are going to have a very tough time going forward.
If it is so obvious how to beat the Leafs we will never have success in the playoffs.
If this team cannot find a way to beat this then why are we paying so much for the core players.
in my humble opinion these are just excuses, good teams figure out how to beat bad teams

So a young disciplined defensive team can nullify our high end core.
So what’s the answer……..how do we get past this “thing” that has plagued us for years now
Perhaps you're newer to sport but every team adopts a strategy to beat another team. Whether it's effective or not can depend on many things but nothing is 100% certain. Leafs beat that team 9 out of 10 times.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
  4. good teams with good coaches figure this out. It takes more thought than mixing up the lines 5 times a night
When teams drop back to protect da net and play da lock it requires guys like Bertuzzi Domi Knies Reaves to cause a ruck netfront and then D to do some damage with screened slap shots .. in these preseason games no one wants to pay da piper .. in playoffs with these new guys they will sacrifice their bodies by taking a goal off da ankle at least we hope .. i would not worry about any game played before XMAS .. Hawks know already they will lose in a straight up game so they don't even bother to try

Reactions: ToneDog

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

So a young disciplined defensive team can nullify our high end core.
So what’s the answer……..how do we get past this “thing” that has plagued us for years now

Just don’t allow the first goal lol. Montreal and Columbus were able to do this because they were up a goal or more. If we score first the other team can’t turtle. They need to take the Kampf starting in OT mentality to the whole game, aim to go into the third period at 0-0 or up a couple off special teams and force the other team to take chances. If we start the track meet at puck drop, the second the other team goes up a few they can sit back and just have to survive a few minutes of 6-on-5 scrambles.

Reactions: Racer88

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
When you don't understand math and stats... you make fun of it right? LOL

Is that the reason you provided none? Hope o meter and pie chart with UNKNOWN source ?

I just asked about the source of this "simulation". It's preciously because I don't think that statistics is some mysterious unknown beast I'm very skeptical of source-less simulation chart. Hence my joke about fifth graders playing.

I'm sorry I thought you'd reply with the data source or model used for this "simulation". I guess that's hard to do when you post a pie chart pulled out of your ass, right?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
All of the above
Perhaps you're newer to sport but every team adopts a strategy to beat another team. Whether it's effective or not can depend on many things but nothing is 100% certain. Leafs beat that team 9 out of 10 times.
Absolutely not new to sports.
I know nothing is certain but the Leafs get beat by team in that fashion way too often. This is a thing over the last few years.
every sports fan I know, every analyst comments on it. Before you say that all the sports caster are morons…….they are not all wrong, they are not all making the same thing up

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
1st goal you talking about perry...
Rielly pinch yeah but its what leafs doing all day long. D pinching and foward came back to cover d... the problem is the foward whos came back made a change unstead of protecting rielly spot and mitch didn't had time to come back in play to make play. So for me its resulting of a bad line change not pinch of rielly.

2nd goal if leafs didn't make a bad change, klinberg didn't had to take a penalty and pp never happening. Everything started with a bad change
both issues stemmed from things that probably get worked out of the game as the season goes on. I doubt we see 2 bad line changes like that by game 30

If the forward goes for the change, maybe Rielly should look to back off instead, but that type of miscommunication can be forgiven a bit as it’s only game 3, but the 2nd goal I don’t think so, the line change caused a penalty, that doesn’t have to mean that’s the only reason. Penalties, whether off bad line changes or other reasons are going to happen, it all depends on how you respond and are able to kill that penalty. McCabe, and for the most part the entire 4 man unit played that pk very poorly. So while yes that goal started with the line change, but it also had some suspect pk’ing. Next time it might not be a bad line change, maybe it’s just a defensive breakdown and we are forced to take a penalty, we need to be able to kill them.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Is that the reason you provided none? Hope o meter and pie chart with UNKNOWN source ?

I just asked about the source of this "simulation". It's preciously because I don't think that statistics is some mysterious unknown beast I'm very skeptical of source-less simulation chart. Hence my joke about fifth graders playing.

I'm sorry I thought you'd reply with the data source or model used for this "simulation". I guess that's hard to do when you post a pie chart pulled out of your ass, right?

Reactions: Arzak

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
End of the day it is game 3 and folks are pretending the result means anything. Only thing that matters end of the day is 2 points in October not how you get them. And while we failed to do so, we also won't win every game so not sure what people expect.
preach my brotha

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
How has Klingberg been excellent? What exactly are you looking at? He's getting killed 5v5, and it's not even close. With McCabe, they've given up 29 shots to 20 for. In goals, it's 1 for, 5 against.

Meanwhile, Brodie who is allegedly below standards has been on for 27 shots for, and only 12 against, with his main partner. In goals, 3 for, 1 against.

Subpar? How? McCabe I agree. Klingberg I agree. Brodie and Rielly have excellent 5v5 results, by all measurement means... Gio and Liljegren aren't far behind. Great possession stats, favourable shots for/against, Gio and Lilly haven't given up a goal against.
Brodie was good last night. I was concerned about him going into the season, but so far so good. Hope he continues.

Reactions: banks and kb

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They favour Marner too much? That couldn’t be farther from the truth. The only reason why his minutes are so high is because he eats up a ton of PK minutes. Im okay with reducing it but is Matthews and/or Nylander ready to step up and eat some of those minutes and provide better or the same quality? Im not sure.
That's absolutely NOT the only reason.

He is leading all forwards in even strength and PP ice time this year.

Last year he led all forwards in ES and was second in PP time (Matty was slightly ahead in ES and PP time per game).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

44-56 is still reasonably close to parity

Chicago is pretty bad and I think we should be doing better than those numbers, I think it's a reflection of just how lethargic we were in that game

You could see the Boys weren't feeling it

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I know the "word on the street" is Nylander will eventually get traded rather than lose him to UFA after the season - but he was arguably your best player last night so that's not something to hoped for.
Not sure how your streets work, but in my area the word is that he wants to play here and will sign. He's been the best player on the ice many times, so that's something to be hoped for.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012
Hope once Minten goes down we start running top 9 of

Bertuzzi - Matthews - Nylander
Knies - Tavares - Marner
Domi - Holmberg - Jarnkrok

Tired of Marner trying to be too fancy with Matthews already

Reactions: TMLife17

Juniorhockeyguru

Nov 18, 2012
A 3rd line center has to produce numbers and create offense. It would not hurt Fraser to go back down and polish up his offense. He's not going to be a game changer this year.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
both issues stemmed from things that probably get worked out of the game as the season goes on. I doubt we see 2 bad line changes like that by game 30

If the forward goes for the change, maybe Rielly should look to back off instead, but that type of miscommunication can be forgiven a bit as it’s only game 3, but the 2nd goal I don’t think so, the line change caused a penalty, that doesn’t have to mean that’s the only reason. Penalties, whether off bad line changes or other reasons are going to happen, it all depends on how you respond and are able to kill that penalty. McCabe, and for the most part the entire 4 man unit played that pk very poorly. So while yes that goal started with the line change, but it also had some suspect pk’ing. Next time it might not be a bad line change, maybe it’s just a defensive breakdown and we are forced to take a penalty, we need to be able to kill them.

Thats my point, ts just bad decision, bad read, misscommunication and that will disappear with time.

Yes penalty kill need to be better but were game 3k and a lot of new penalty killer... need time to get chemistry too and playing like an unit. I prefer a good unit game 80 than game 3

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I haven't watched a ton of his games but he always struck me as a pretty decent defensive d-man. Can't see how trading him is going to improve the back end.
Cap hit way to high for his vintribution
He is weak on d, getting slow on skating ....time is catching up fast

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Even better question: after four years, should we have figured out that he can't learn on the job?
The worst part is that the coach will perform just well enough that Tre can’t justify firing him and we will see the same things again this year.
It’s like a bloody groundhog movie

We are the only team to hold bedard to 0 pts so far.

Small miral victory early in the reg season
This team thrives off of moral victories kinda like they do expected goals

Reactions: TheOne and TMLife17

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Our defense is really bad, and with out Matthews and Nylander playing extraordinary hockey we could easily be 0-3. Not sure what the fix is here tbh. Most of the d just looks so ugly.

Reactions: TMLife17

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Not sure how your streets work, but in my area the word is that he wants to play here and will sign. He's been the best player on the ice many times, so that's something to be hoped for.

My point was there has been discussion on whether or not they can afford to keep the core four together and if Treliving decides the answer to that question is "no" - then which of the four would be the most likely to go and that's where I believe the "word on the street" is Nylander. If it were my decision I would rather trade Tavaras than Nylander but apparently trading Tavaras is a non-starter.

Cap hit way to high for his vintribution
He is weak on d, getting slow on skating ....time is catching up fast

OK - gotcha. My opinion on him is out of date.

TheOne

Jun 15, 2023
My point was there has been discussion on whether or not they can afford to keep the core four together and if Treliving decides the answer to that question is "no" - then which of the four would be the most likely to go and that's where I believe the "word on the street" is Nylander. If it were my decision I would rather trade Tavaras than Nylander but apparently trading Tavaras is a non-starter.

OK - gotcha. My opinion on him is out of date.
Tavares has a full NMC. He'd have trained to be traded. That's not a non-starter, that's a non-option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad