Post-Game Talk: Same team, another season. Leafs put in a lacklustre effort lose 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Game 3 of preseason hockey .. oh well .. great to catch up with Entwistle's and Raddysh's for a pint .. even better to see JT, Mac and Taylor score in same game .. boys even in a Leafs loss it was fun to watch ex Marlies do well for themselves

Same old story with our D .. but it will get corrected in season .. really amazing to watch Matty and Willy skate for 3 games .. Willy especially even if it only last for a couple months like last year .. Orr like in his ability to fly and make others look like house leaguers on da ice .. and great to see Matty in prime time condition from start of season

Overall no one cares or will take anything from this game .. Leafs were better team .. Hawks played good net front D and sometimes those types of games turn into Ls .. on to da road trip // glg

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
People keep harping on Klingberg but to me he's been excellent so far.

Brodie and McCabe have both been much below their standards, imo.

that McCabe Lafferty deal was just horrendous, I didn't like it from the start.

How has Klingberg been excellent? What exactly are you looking at? He's getting killed 5v5, and it's not even close. With McCabe, they've given up 29 shots to 20 for. In goals, it's 1 for, 5 against.

Meanwhile, Brodie who is allegedly below standards has been on for 27 shots for, and only 12 against, with his main partner. In goals, 3 for, 1 against.

Brodie, McCabe, Gio and even Liljegren have all just been sub-par. Rielly will never be able to carry this crap heap of a D.
Subpar? How? McCabe I agree. Klingberg I agree. Brodie and Rielly have excellent 5v5 results, by all measurement means... Gio and Liljegren aren't far behind. Great possession stats, favourable shots for/against, Gio and Lilly haven't given up a goal against.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Game 3 of preseason hockey .. oh well .. great to catch up with Entwistle's and Raddysh's for a pint .. even better to see JT, Mac and Taylor score in same game .. boys even in a Leafs loss it was fun to watch ex Marlies do well for themselves

Same old story with our D .. but it will get corrected in season .. really amazing to watch Matty and Willy skate for 3 games .. Willy especially even if it only last for a couple months like last year .. Orr like in his ability to fly and make others look like house leaguers on da ice .. and great to see Matty in prime time condition from start of season

Overall no one cares or will take anything from this game .. Leafs were better team .. Hawks played good net front D and sometimes those types of games turn into Ls .. on to da road trip // glg
Willy looks incredible. He really does make the other skates look like beer leaguers, it's amazing how effortless he makes it look.

He's a cool cat. I hope he stay.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
This game was kind of what I expected. They didn’t take an inferior team seriously and got burned…….not like we haven’t seen this before the last 5 years.
The optimist in me hopes they will learn from it but the pessimist LMFAO

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Rielly will never be able to carry this crap heap of a D.
Mo has looked like playoff Mo so far. Every shift he seems to be making a great pass or creating a zone exit with his legs. Maybe not being on PP1 will help him focus on 5v5.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I do not understand why this team refuses to learn from their mistakes.

We started horrendously last season and it wasn’t until Keefe clued in and separated Marner and Matthews that things started firing.

Matthews with Nylander, Tavares with Marner. Knies needs to be stapled to Tavares LW. They complement each others game well and drive possession.

Right now Keefe has a rookie left LW with a centre who belongs in Junior, and they aren’t doing well? Egads, what a shocking development that no one could predict!!

I’m tired of hearing that Matthews and Marner want to play together. This isn’t House League and they aren’t 5 year olds.

They play on the PP together, and what’s best for the team is what needs to be done, period.

It’s getting really tiresome when we keep doing the same stupid shit. The wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented here, so why are we ignoring what has already proven to work, and also have more of our Top 6 firing, as opposed to Matthews All World and everyone else other than Nylander just not contributing like the can/should.

Keefe is maddening with this. Pretty sure that if his cat got into the pool he’d try to empty the pool rather than just take the cat out of it…..

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Willy looks incredible. He really does make the other skates look like beer leaguers, it's amazing how effortless he makes it look.

Everyone can see it even opposing parents .. Willy has cranked up speed .. supposedly hit 40km/hr in camp drills .. d*mn close to McJesus speed

Reactions: MarnerElite

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Perry breakway result of a bad change i dont know whos gone on bench for marner

Pp goal was result of bad change whos forcing klinberg to step late in the ice and had no choiolce to hook... it was not about defensive but about concentration and judgement
I didn’t like Rielly’s pinch on the first goal, he was stuck in no man’s land

Marner is usually very good at picking passes off at that got by him, which is why it’s fine for him to play aggressive even as one of the last mans back, this time he missed and they got the break

The Johnson pp goal, I thought McCabe shifted onto the wrong for no real reason, left the left side wide open and was the breakdown chicago needed. He should’ve left that to Liljegren and minten and knies should’ve done a better job pressuring them on the entrance. Idk why we had two rookies out anyways but whatever

Some execution mistakes, some decision making errors, some breakdowns and a bit of bad judgment was the cause of their goals

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
How has Klingberg been excellent? What exactly are you looking at? He's getting killed 5v5, and it's not even close. With McCabe, they've given up 29 shots to 20 for. In goals, it's 1 for, 5 against.

Meanwhile, Brodie who is allegedly below standards has been on for 27 shots for, and only 12 against, with his main partner. In goals, 3 for, 1 against.

Subpar? How? McCabe I agree. Klingberg I agree. Brodie and Rielly have excellent 5v5 results, by all measurement means... Gio and Liljegren aren't far behind. Great possession stats, favourable shots for/against, Gio and Lilly haven't given up a goal against.
To me Rielly and Brodie have been fine. Brodie a couple gaffes but he's been fine. Klingberg is basically as expected. Good offensively but gives it away defensively. McCabe has been just bad.
Liljegren and Gio have been good.

Some context. Lilly and Gio are getting tough zone starts too, and Lilly has faced for the most part the 2nd line of the other team.
McCabe and Klingberg are getting the most favorable zone starts and they are getting crushed in those mins. Rielly and Brodie aren't far behind them in zone starts but they have been terrific.

Rielly Brodie OZ% 55 xGF% 77
McCabe Klingberg OZ% 57 xGF% 37
Gio Lilly OZ% 42 xGF% 65

Reactions: Fogelhund

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I do not understand why this team refuses to learn from their mistakes.

We started horrendously last season and it wasn’t until Keefe clued in and separated Marner and Matthews that things started firing.

Matthews with Nylander, Tavares with Marner. Knies needs to be stapled to Tavares LW. They complement each others game well and drive possession.

Right now Keefe has a rookie left LW with a centre who belongs in Junior, and they aren’t doing well? Egads, what a shocking development that no one could predict!!

I’m tired of hearing that Matthews and Marner want to play together. This isn’t House League and they aren’t 5 year olds.

They play on the PP together, and what’s best for the team is what needs to be done, period.

It’s getting really tiresome when we keep doing the same stupid shit. The wheel doesn’t need to be reinvented here, so why are we ignoring what has already proven to work, and also have more of our Top 6 firing, as opposed to Matthews All World and everyone else other than Nylander just not contributing like the can/should.

Keefe is maddening with this. Pretty sure that if his cat got into the pool he’d try to empty the pool rather than just take the cat out of it…..
of course they want to play together, who wouldn't want to play with either of those guys? End of the day they will play where they are told, they don't demand to play together.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I agree that Knies would be better with M & M but,
Bertuzzi and Tavares are both net front guys who can’t do much else so I can’t see them being line mates.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
This game was kind of what I expected. They didn’t take an inferior team seriously and got burned…….not like we haven’t seen this before the last 5 years.
The optimist in me hopes they will learn from it but the pessimist LMFAO

I don't think it's so much that they didn't take Chi seriously.

It's been apparent for a number of years that there is a simple strategy for an inferior team to succeed against the Leafs.

Collapse and keep them "mostly" to the outside.
Let your goalie see the shots
Rather than be overly aggressive, wait on a Leaf mistake and capitalize.

It obviously doesn't always work, but it seems to give the opponent a pretty good chance.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

It's been apparent for a number of years that there is a simple strategy for an inferior team to succeed against the Leafs.

It obviously doesn't always work, but it seems to give the opponent a pretty good chance.
Good summary there, that's how I saw it. Very disciplined defensive Team, props to the Coach.

Mentat

Sep 19, 2020
Erm...
AM34 has this franchise by the balls.
Mitch wel´ll see how things pan out but i suspect he will squeeze us till the teat is dry once again.

I can uderstand not wanting to piss off our susperstars, BUT, at the end of the day, they get payed a kings ransom to do their job. And yet we cater to their every whim. We let them run the show.
And that´s gone oh so very well for us...

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
The thing is... much of the difference in the teams was the last 12 minutes of the game. They were fairly equal until then. We can't wait all game and then hope to turn it on at the end of every game, and steal a victory.

They had a bad 1st period yeah for sure everybody is agree-
They outplayed chicago in second
They completly dominated chicago in 3rd

but its not how the game had been played

38-19 scoring chance 18-12 in 2nd
High scori g 21-4 7-3 in 2nd

I didn’t like Rielly’s pinch on the first goal, he was stuck in no man’s land

Marner is usually very good at picking passes off at that got by him, which is why it’s fine for him to play aggressive even as one of the last mans back, this time he missed and they got the break

The Johnson pp goal, I thought McCabe shifted onto the wrong for no real reason, left the left side wide open and was the breakdown chicago needed. He should’ve left that to Liljegren and minten and knies should’ve done a better job pressuring them on the entrance. Idk why we had two rookies out anyways but whatever

Some execution mistakes, some decision making errors, some breakdowns and a bit of bad judgment was the cause of their goals

1st goal you talking about perry...
Rielly pinch yeah but its what leafs doing all day long. D pinching and foward came back to cover d... the problem is the foward whos came back made a change unstead of protecting rielly spot and mitch didn't had time to come back in play to make play. So for me its resulting of a bad line change not pinch of rielly.

2nd goal if leafs didn't make a bad change, klinberg didn't had to take a penalty and pp never happening. Everything started with a bad change

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Erm...
AM34 has this franchise by the balls.
Mitch wel´ll see how things pan out but i suspect he will squeeze us till the teat is dry once again.

I can uderstand not wanting to piss off our susperstars, BUT, at the end of the day, they get payed a kings ransom to do their job. And yet we cater to their every whim. We let them run the show.
And that´s gone oh so very well for us...
Any examples of this ?

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
It was a sloppy game from us.. just seemed to lack focus... at least until about 12 minutes left in the game, and then we came on pretty strong. We can't dominate every game, but against a bottom half team, it should be points on the board. On the balance, we should have won that game, but.. it didn't happen. No points for could have, would have, should have.

View attachment 753848

Simulated by two fifth graders using PS1 and NHL98 game?

We are not winning 7 out of 10 playing like we did last night.

100% deserve to lose that one . Deserve to win o meter :D

what's next? Got Gollied O my metric?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I knew last night was going to go bad when they got a PP and Marner took it away about 30 seconds later.

That was a bad sign.

They were never going 82-0 we all knew that but last night was not the game they should have lost.

Some people are reading far too much into game 3 of the season. It's hockey, you don't win them all. Simple as that.

No but you should never lose to Chicago.

Boston?, Vegas?, Carolina that's one thing.

Not Chicago

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022

He's pretty quick when he's looking for goals and assists but one of the slowest skaters in the league skating back to the bench for a line change.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Simulated by two fifth graders using PS1 and NHL98 game?

We are not winning 7 out of 10 playing like we did last night.

100% deserve to lose that one . Deserve to win o meter :D

what's next? Got Gollied O my metric?
When you don't understand math and stats... you make fun of it right? LOL

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

And people defended the Reaves and Kampf contracts lol

Bertuzzi has spent nearly 90% of his 5 on 5 time with Matthews & Marner yet has a significantly different xG% than both players. That is how you know the sample size if far too small as that makes no sense.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

Well if that all it takes to nullify this super expensive core then we are going to have a very tough time going forward.
If it is so obvious how to beat the Leafs we will never have success in the playoffs.
If this team cannot find a way to beat this then why are we paying so much for the core players.
in my humble opinion these are just excuses, good teams figure out how to beat bad teams

Good summary there, that's how I saw it. Very disciplined defensive Team, props to the Coach.
So a young disciplined defensive team can nullify our high end core.
So what’s the answer……..how do we get past this “thing” that has plagued us for years now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce