Speculation: Sam Reinhart's next deal?

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
It'll be around 2 mil less than Nylander, and will give even more ammo to the narrative that the Leafs overpay their top 4

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He will definately stay in Florida and take alot less than he could get. He will want to 100% stay with Barkov Tkachuk etc long-term.

I bet he waits till Nylander signs a massive 11+ ish mill deal and then signs his deal for 9 ish long term and it'll cause mayhem amongst media and fans and caphits with TO

These players in Tampa and Florida always take less so they can stay there long term.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
2nd in the league for goals and tied with Willy for points. With the cap up he is getting more than Gaudreau. Aho is a good comparable at 9.75.

He is at least that. Probably around 10 x 8

He’s shooting nearly 28% with a 1030 PDO. That’s insane. More than 1 out of every 4 shots he points at the net is going in. He’s a deadly efficient scorer over his career but this is an unimaginable level.

He’s been great, no doubt and what he is doing right now - the Panthers are surely going to enjoy the ride. He’s gonna get 50 goals and 100 points IMO.

But this kind of outlier performance at age 28 reeks of Huby, RNH and other recent late 20’s career offensive outlier years. That’s certainly not say he’s gonna sink like Huberdeau. I see no reason Reinhart shouldn’t keep being a 40 goal, 80 point threat for the first half of his new deal - especially if he stays in Florida.

But $10+ million over 8 years is starting to get into superstar territory. And while sure, his agent should absolutely argue with this years counting stats that he belongs in that tier…I’m not sure that level of compensation is a prudent move for anybody.

Reactions: Marc the Habs Fan

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
But this kind of outlier performance at age 28 reeks of Huby, RNH and other recent late 20’s career offensive outlier years. That’s certainly not say he’s gonna sink like Huberdeau. I see no reason Reinhart shouldn’t keep being a 40 goal, 80 point threat into the future - especially if he stays in Florida.

Huby still got the deal though. With the cap going up not reason he won't get 10.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Huby still got the deal though. With the cap going up not reason he won't get 10.

Oh sure, not arguing that he’s not gonna get the full bag, unless he opts to give Florida a discount (and I think that’s a realistic chance of happening).

I just don’t think there’s much difference if any between Reinhart and Guentzel…in fact, up until this shooting percentage orgy Reinhart is having this year, I think you can make a pretty solid case for Guentzel being the better player. And even though Jake is having another awesome year, nobody is talking about him in this kind of financial bracket.

I think Guentzel is a much more directly relevant comp than an elite two-way center who drives his entire offense like Aho (or insert center here).

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
And even though Jake is having another awesome year, nobody is talking about him in this kind of financial bracket.

Welp thats not true. A lot of people think Jake is getting upwards of 10. The difference is Reinhart is young can play center.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Welp thats not true. A lot of people think Jake is getting upwards of 10. The difference is Reinhart is young can play center.

Reinhart is much better at wing. It would be foolish to give him $10 million and then play him at center.

The age doffenrve between the two is one year. It’s not like Sam is a kid any more. They are both late 20’s elite scoring support wingers entering their big pay day off-season.

I don’t think Jake is gonna get 10.

But…this is all speculation, you could be right too.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Reinhart is much better at wing. It would be foolish to give him $10 million and then play him at center.

The age doffenrve between the two is one year. It’s not like Sam is a kid any more. They are both late 20’s elite scoring support wingers entering their big pay day off-season.

I don’t think Jake is gonna get 10.

But…this is all speculation, you could be right too.

Ya there is just a lot of money this offseason with the cap going up. I think FA is going to be looney

Reactions: BKarchitect

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
28 years old.

Since coming to Florida point per game

Back to back 30 goal seasons and at the halfway mark 2 away from 30.

9x8 may be an acceptable contract. May push to 9.5 or 9.75.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Zito has already said that they have their foundational markers set with Barkov and Chuck at 10 and 9.5. He basically said other players will have to take less to play for the Panthers. And he has gotten other players to take less. He said they want Sam to stay and Sam says he wants to stay. I think they agree on 9-9.5 long-term.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Zito has already said that they have their foundational markers set with Barkov and Chuck at 10 and 9.5. He basically said other players will have to take less to play for the Panthers. And he has gotten other players to take less. He said they want Sam to stay and Sam says he wants to stay. I think they agree on 9-9.5 long-term.

This seems the betting favorite for outcome to me.

- I think Sam signs a slightly under market value deal that keeps the Panthers “markers” intact.
- I think Forsling signs long-term at a value that maybe under appreciates his importance simply because the offensive/PP numbers aren’t there.
- Montour walks.
- Lundell bridge…he’s not done anything yet that should break the bank but he will probably want a second crack at the apple in two or three years.
- And you try to make some sort of “hockey trade” with Ekblad that maybe doesn’t entirely move his salary but exchanges it for another complimentary piece at lesser cost. I still think for all the concerns about injury and regression and AAV - he’s still gonna have value on the market.

I know that still leaves things tight but it seems do-able.

Nucks2001

Jul 6, 2023
7.5-8.5mill. is a REASONABLE contract for him. However, with the cap going up, I wouldn’t be surprised if his contract pushes 9mill. Would be shocked if it’s 10 or higher tho

gritdash60

Aug 9, 2022
Behind the net
10x8 in Calgary, then they find out that maybe, and just maybe you should not sign players who shine because of Barkov who takes all the toughest matchups and faceoffs in Florida.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
This seems the betting favorite for outcome to me.

- I think Sam signs a slightly under market value deal that keeps the Panthers “markers” intact.
- I think Forsling signs long-term at a value that maybe under appreciates his importance simply because the offensive/PP numbers aren’t there.
- Montour walks.
- Lundell bridge…he’s not done anything yet that should break the bank but he will probably want a second crack at the apple in two or three years.
- And you try to make some sort of “hockey trade” with Ekblad that maybe doesn’t entirely move his salary but exchanges it for another complimentary piece at lesser cost. I still think for all the concerns about injury and regression and AAV - he’s still gonna have value on the market.

I know that still leaves things tight but it seems do-able.
They still like Ekblad. I think Monty stays too. I think they will trade Bob in the off-season. Friedman has said they will try to do this as well. The hope is Knight rebounds like Connor Ingram did.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Walksss

Mar 26, 2013
He's getting 10. Perfect time to have a career year with the cap about to blast over the next 5 years. If Willy actually signs $11.5 he'd already be giving a substantial discount just to stay at 10. Get ready to pay up Panthers.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
7.5-8.5mill. is a REASONABLE contract for him. However, with the cap going up, I wouldn’t be surprised if his contract pushes 9mill. Would be shocked if it’s 10 or higher tho

With Nylander about to get 11.5M those numbers seem so unrealistic

To stay in Florida will be tough for him to ask more than Barkov/Tkachuk

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad