Player Discussion Sam Reinhart, Part II: The Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
And his brothers weren't drafted anywhere close to where Sam was drafted.

Um, wrong? His brother was drafted 4th oa if I recall

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Griffin was drafted 4th overall. And I'm sorry, you clearly don't know what a strong skater is if you think he is a strong skater. Also, he was very good in front of the net in juniors.

Let's recap:

Point stokes because I forgot Griffin was drafted 4th in 2012.

Point DJ because of reading comprehension. I wrote "stronger," not strong.

Point DJ because he didn't play in front of the net at Kooteney. He played off hand along the left side half wall.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Let's recap:

Point stokes because I forgot Griffin was drafted 4th in 2012.

Point DJ because of reading comprehension. I wrote "stronger," not strong.

Point DJ because he didn't play in front of the net at Kooteney. He played off hand along the left side half wall.

yup, that's all we ever saw out of him. The entire time. :speechles

Actually, anyone that watched him knew he was terrific there, but questioned if that was an area that would translate due to the physicality in the NHL. It obviously has.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
William Nylander and Leon Draisaitl are the two that really stand out for me as having franchise potential.

To date Reinhart has been a better pro than nylander, and equivalent to leon depending on how you feel about his second half decline and playing with taylor hall for most of his hot stretch last year.

I don't see this collection of players that have been more impressive than reinhart in that class except Ekblad.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
To date Reinhart has been a better pro than nylander, and equivalent to leon depending on how you feel about his second half decline and playing with taylor hall for most of his hot stretch last year.

I don't see this collection of players that have been more impressive than reinhart in that class except Ekblad.

You aren't being honest if you watch the Leafs and Oilers and don't think those players are clearly ahead of Sam right now. Nylander is looking like a superstar, and Draisaitl hasn't only been good because of his teammates, he shows at the World Cup that he belonged in that best on best tournament and was one of the better players.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
yup, that's all we ever saw out of him. The entire time. :speechles

Actually, anyone that watched him knew he was terrific there, but questioned if that was an area that would translate due to the physicality in the NHL. It obviously has.

Kooteney did not put Reinhart in front of the net to tip pucks, and there was no discussion if he'd be good at it in the NHL.

Left side, half boards, off wing on the power play. Watch the games.

Your agenda is showing on multiple threads right now.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
One could easily make a case for a forward other than Reinhart from the 2014 draft looking better than him. But there's still a large crop from that year who appear to have 'elite' or 'franchise' potential. And he's in that conversation.

They can't even drink yet.

Imagine how great they'll be once they can drink...

the-simpsons-homer-beer-mug-its-all-good-blue-graphic_1.jpg

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Kooteney did not put Reinhart in front of the net to tip pucks, and there was no discussion if he'd be good at it in the NHL.

Left side, half boards, off wing on the power play. Watch the games.

Your agenda is showing on multiple threads right now.

Look, it's not all about PP deployment. He scored a ton of goals on tips and and picking up the garbage in front of the net in junior. This is not a debatable point.

You take any critique of the kid as fatalistic. We know he's a good player. We just want to know if he's good enough to get us to the prize and be worth the suffering. And yeah, when players from his own draft class are starting to look like they are passing him, it stings. We all want him to be the best one, but we also need to be truthful.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Look, it's not all about PP deployment. He scored a ton of goals on tips and and picking up the garbage in front of the net in junior. This is not a debatable point.

You take any critique of the kid as fatalistic. We know he's a good player. We just want to know if he's good enough to get us to the prize and be worth the suffering.

It is debatable because he didn't score a ton of goals on tips and garbage goals. You're describing Matt Moulson. Anyone that watched him at Kootenay knows that wasn't his game.

I don't take criticism of Reinhart as fatalistic. When I read poor assessments of players, I write. You constantly beat the Draisaitl v Reinhart drum. We know your agenda. I want to see what the kid can do at center for 20-40 games before I start assessing him as "complementary."

Nice descriptor you used. Super easy to adjust the meaning to reality as time goes on.

I'll stand by my original assessment: Adam Oates esque play at center. It's been my assessment for over two years.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
I had no idea that there was anybody who was worried about Sam Reinhart.

It's honestly laughable and makes me question if those people actually watch the games.

He goes through stretches where he's the best player on the ice (yes, including ROR and Eichel), and is coming off what most people would deem to be a VERY successful rookie campaign.

Relax, even if the Sabres are bad, Sam isn't.

He's fine now, and going to be great in the future.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
This, to me, is yet another agenda driven thread.

Some folks really need to step off the ledge. It's only been 5 games.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
You aren't being honest if you watch the Leafs and Oilers and don't think those players are clearly ahead of Sam right now. Nylander is looking like a superstar, and Draisaitl hasn't only been good because of his teammates, he shows at the World Cup that he belonged in that best on best tournament and was one of the better players.

Honest? Or I disagree. Nylander just got to the nhl and is flashy. It's not surprising you think he is better than samson.

Meanwhile a year ago, samson has a 20+ goal season playing a new position as a rookie. And this year if he buries a goal or two, which he should have, this conversation is even less reasonable than it is now.

Draisaitl is good, but samson has played great at intl competition as well. Let's see how things look in 20 games. Tho I realize you won't appreciate samson as a player unless he vastly outscores his draft mates.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Honest? Or I disagree. Nylander just got to the nhl and is flashy. It's not surprising you think he is better than samson.

Meanwhile a year ago, samson has a 20+ goal season playing a new position as a rookie. And this year if he buries a goal or two, which he should have, this conversation is even less reasonable than it is now.

Draisaitl is good, but samson has played great at intl competition as well. Let's see how things look in 20 games. Tho I realize you won't appreciate samson as a player unless he vastly outscores his draft mates.

I will be plenty appreciative if he is integral to us winning. That is what this is supposed to be all about.

Last edited by a moderator:

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

You take any critique of the kid as fatalistic. We know he's a good player. We just want to know if he's good enough to get us to the prize and be worth the suffering. And yeah, when players from his own draft class are starting to look like they are passing him, it stings. We all want him to be the best one, but we also need to be truthful.

Some people should do the rest of us a favor, and start following the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Sam only has 2 points in one home game and a West Coast road trip.
Time to bring out the 'bust' conversation.

Typical overreaction from the typical suspects.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I guess wondering aloud about whether or not he is a franchise player = calling him a bust.

Call it agenda driven if you want. Right is right.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Reinhart was drafted #2 overall because of his potential to be a #1 all situations center. His hockey IQ and ability to read/anticipate plays in open ice would be the reasons he got there.

I don't think anyone projecting him to be an impact player expected it to be as a winger and the guy who stands in front of the net on PPs with no PK ice time. We expected him to do it at center as the catalyst for his line at both ends of the ice. As well as being one of the guys setting things up on the PP not the guy sitting in front. Plus getting some PK ice time using that IQ of his to disrupt opposition PPs.

He's played a grand total of 3 games as a center. If he gets a decent sized run at center with Eichel out. We will have a body of work to assess to see if he shows signs of the two way top line center we hoped for when he was drafted.

Last edited:

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I guess wondering aloud about whether or not he is a franchise player = calling him a bust.

In your case, this is agenda driven. You have a history on this one.

And "right" is relative.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Reinhart was drafted #2 overall because of his potential to be a #1 all situations center. His hockey IQ and ability to read/anticipate plays in open ice would be the reasons he got there.

I don't think anyone projecting him to be an impact player expected it to be as a winger and the guy who stands in front of the net on PPs with no PK ice time. We expected him to do it at center as the catalyst for his line at both ends of the ice. As well as being one of the guys setting things up on the PP not the guy sitting in front. Plus getting some PK ice time using that IQ of his to disrupt opposition PPs.

He's played a grand total of 3 games as a center. If he gets a decent sized run at center with Eichel out. We will have a body of work to assess to see if he shows signs of the two way top line center we hoped for when he was drafted.

Was just coming to say basically this... in a nutshell, let's not judge till we see st least 20-30 games at center. He's cerebral so he's going to play differently in the wing because he's smart enough to realize that it requires some different things than playing center. Now he gets to go back to his comfort zone and original position. I'm excited to see him there.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey

What does that even mean?
If you are saying that LD is a better NHL player that Sam right now because of his ppg pace through 6 games, I should really just stop now.

Franchise, Elite, Generational. All pretty words that don't really matter in the end.
Why are you so concerned with the label that you want to put on him?

Do you think Ovechkin is a franchise player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese