News: Sam Lafferty to sit tonight for trade-related reasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
Whoever gets him at 1.15m this year and next is going to be very happy.
Unless it's Pens' fans. Over 3 seasons in Pitt he played 94 games but only averaged 9:34 of ice time per game. 4th line is underutilized and 3rd line is buried in dz starts. No possible way to produce under those circumstances. Especially when one of those 3rd liners is 38 years old.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
He's got very little hockey sense. If he had any he'd be a top six scorer. He's got size, wheels, motor and decent hands. He's dumb. That's okay.
He has little scoring touch therefore he is dumb?
That doesn’t make him dumb. His play in other aspects of the game points to the opposite. He’s solid plays SMART against all levels of opponent to limit their chances.
The only thing dumb here is your take.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Unless it's Pens' fans. Over 3 seasons in Pitt he played 94 games but only averaged 9:34 of ice time per game. 4th line is underutilized and 3rd line is buried in dz starts. No possible way to produce under those circumstances. Especially when one of those 3rd liners is 38 years old.
“producing” isn’t everything. Keeping other teams good players from producing has value as well. Lafferty has excellent turning D zone starts into zone exits.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
That doesn’t make him dumb. His play in other aspects of the game points to the opposite. He’s solid plays SMART against all levels of opponent to limit their chances.
You can have zero scoring touch and be smart. Kampf, Kruger etc. He's got a full set of tools but only uses the hammer. It's a good hammer.

Dumb doesn't mean bad. Domi is a dumb hockey player. Tons of talent. "Scoring touch" for sure.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Thinking more I actually think Lafferty’s return will surprise some people. We saw what Tampa has traded for good depth on a cheap deal with term.
We will pay for term, 100%. We dont have much to give right now, but we tend to pay more for the contract than the player. It helps us keep the band together.

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I was a dumb hockey player. Like to think a smart person, but I had zero on ice vision. Big and mean with a motor, coaches loved me. North south hockey is easy because you just work hard. Fore check, back check and go to the net. Throw those dogs on the wing and let them eat.

Last edited:

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I was a dumb hockey player. Like to think a smart person, but I had zero on ice vision. Big and mean with a motor, coaches loved me. North south hockey is easy because you just work hard. Fire check, back check and go to the net. Throw those dogs on the wing and let them eat.
We are going to agree to disagree.
If he (or you) were a dumb you wouldn’t be good at other parts of the game as the dumb mistakes would overtake all else.
I think he’s actually pretty smart to use the skills he has and fit them into a valuable role.

(For the record) I played youth, HS and mens into my early 20’s. 2 kids and 1 knee surgery, 1 rotator cuff surgery ended my career just as I was about to dump truck driving and join the Hawks as a walk on. 😏🤣
I would (on a much lower level) compare to Doug Jarrett. I wasn’t fast or quick but thought I was usually in the right spot and I liked blocking shots. …
at the point (offensively) the puck was like a hot potato on my stick. I could make it so you couldn’t score but we were probably not scoring with the puck on my stick. I wasn’t really good as I lacked certain skills but I wasn’t a dumb player.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
We are going to agree to disagree.
If he (or you) were a dumb you wouldn’t be good at other parts of the game as the dumb mistakes would overtake all else.
I think he’s actually pretty smart to use the skills he has and fit them into a valuable role.

(For the record) I played youth, HS and mens into my early 20’s. 2 kids and 1 knee surgery, 1 rotator cuff surgery ended my career just as I was about to dump truck driving and join the Hawks as a walk on. 😏🤣
I would (on a much lower level) compare to Doug Jarrett. I wasn’t fast or quick but thought I was usually in the right spot and I liked blocking shots. …
at the point (offensively) the puck was like a hot potato on my stick. I could make it so you couldn’t score but we were probably not scoring with the puck on my stick. I wasn’t really good as I lacked certain skills but I wasn’t a dumb player.
I said dumb not brain dead. Lafferty is smart enough to know his limitations. He's sticking in the NHL because of his physical gifts. Lafferty is fine defensively on the wing because he goes through his progressions and works hard. He's valuable because he's a burner that shoots first, works hard and isn't above doing the dirty work.

And NHL dumb is a far cry from average hockey player dumb.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Lafferty is a perfect add for Buffalo. They can use him now in the bottom six and PK, and next year as a replacement for Jost or Okposo. Buffalo can beat any other team's offer of a 2nd rder.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I wouldn't have guessed it would ever be necessary but the league should probably crack down on it somehow at this point
How? Are you going to start limiting how teams healthy scratch players? Because, that's really all "trade-related resaons" is.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I said dumb not brain dead. Lafferty is smart enough to know his limitations. He's sticking in the NHL because of his physical gifts. Lafferty is fine defensively on the wing because he goes through his progressions and works hard. He's valuable because he's a burner that shoots first, works hard and isn't above doing the dirty work.

That’s not dumb at all!
Love ya, mean it.
See you on the Hawk board.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
He'd be a great piece but we should probably focus on defense for our last move

If we can find a way to get Jensen I would be happy
The Leafs might have enough to do both, especially now that it's resolved that the Coyotes are taking the 2024 2nd over the 2023 3rd (from the Nick Ritchie deal).

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014

If this is accurate he sounds like someone that would kill it with Tampa

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If this is accurate he sounds like someone that would kill it with Tampa
Had the same thought. I can't put my finger on it, but I feel like there has been more than one player we have coached the dumb out of.

Was that a knock on Paul? I know most Ottawa fans told us we would love him, which is what happened. But I seem to remember the negative posters saying he didn't have much for a hockey IQ.

We are big on IQ in TB, but sometimes it seems to be just a connection between the coach and player that's needed. What I really want is a guy who will work his guts out on a defensive assignment and give us some of the tenacity we lost two years ago.

"Shoots first" sounds pretty good to me too. We could use more of that throughout the line up, including the bottom six.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
“producing” isn’t everything. Keeping other teams good players from producing has value as well. Lafferty has excellent turning D zone starts into zone exits.
I completely understand all that. But when your 3rd line has production like this:
Carter- 2 goals, 0 assist last 20 games
Mcginn- 1 goal, 0 assist last 26 games
Blueger- 0 goals, 3 assist last 31 games
Plus whoever else spent time on the 3rd, production takes on a little more importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad