Sam Gagner (will not be bought out)

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Fact: Schenn is not good on the wing and is a decent second line center and an excellent third line center. Only thing holding him back from being a good second line center is his defense.

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Gagner
Cousins - Schenn- Simmonds
White - Bellemare - VandeVelde

Laughton has not shown enough to warrant being penciled into the lineup. Let him improve his game at the AHL level. Cousins was great towards the end of the season.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
A 40+ pt forward playing in Arizona and Edmonton should be a top 6 fwd here like Hexy wants. He's better than the FA out there too.

He will help with SO, 3 vs 3 OT, and the second PP unit, all things that need help.

Even if vinny is not traded he will not play this year. We don't need the space this year anyway. Hextall has a full year to make a deal.

I'd love it if vinny and macD were shipped out. It wouldn't matter too much this year but next year for sure.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Fact: Schenn is not good on the wing and is a decent second line center and an excellent third line center. Only thing holding him back from being a good second line center is his defense.

Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Read - Couturier - Gagner
Cousins - Schenn- Simmonds
White - Bellemare - VandeVelde

Laughton has not shown enough to warrant being penciled into the lineup. Let him improve his game at the AHL level. Cousins was great towards the end of the season.

Schenn looked great for the last 10 games on the second line rw. I'd Ike to try Gagner on that LW. Maybe the delay in the decision from Hexy was to evaluate if Gagner was ok on the the left.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yeah, 15 points isn't much less than 41... :laugh:

Also, Umberger was playing on a much better offensive team.

Umberger had 34 points in 2013-14, has Gagner ever scored 20 goals? Last two years he had 9 and 9 EV goals, Umberger had 10 and 7.

So, like i said, a healthy Umberger is the better player.
We'll see in TC if he's healthy and can stay that way.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Peak Umberger was definitely a better player than peak Gagner. But until we see RJ skating again I'm not going expect him to get back to being the 28+ point player he was for his whole career before 14-15

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Read will stay with Couts, they have chemistry going back years, they also pair on the PK.

I think Gagner as a center will not happen in Philly, he's a "fail" there, so like Schenn, it's a matter of putting him in a position to succeed.

Can he play LW? Will Umberger be healthy?

Remember, Umberger, even with his injuries, doesn't score much less than Gagner and is a much better defensive player - if healthy, he'd win that contest.

I don't think Read had chemistry with anything last year other than the bench. He was a burden on Couturier.

Wouldn't be surprised if he gets shipped out.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
Umberger had 34 points in 2013-14, has Gagner ever scored 20 goals? Last two years he had 9 and 9 EV goals, Umberger had 10 and 7.

So, like i said, a healthy Umberger is the better player.
We'll see in TC if he's healthy and can stay that way.
Umberger was an absolute embarrassment last season. He provided nothing to the team. He doesn't have an identity.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don't give a **** who scored what a few years ago.

Peak Lecavalier was better than both of them combined, present day Lecavalier is trash. So, unless you have a time machine, Gagner is the clearly superior player right now.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I don't give a **** who scored what a few years ago.

Peak Lecavalier was better than both of them combined, present day Lecavalier is trash. So, unless you have a time machine, Gagner is the clearly superior player right now.

A-freaking-men. I dont care that Vinny had 20 goals 2 years ago or Umberger was gritty and went to dirty areas.

Flyersfan1014

Jan 6, 2010
Reading PA
Peak Umberger was definitely a better player than peak Gagner. But until we see RJ skating again I'm not going expect him to get back to being the 28+ point player he was for his whole career before 14-15

Gagner hasn't necessarily hit his peak yet. He's only 25 and spending his whole career on terrible teams doesn't really show what he's capable of. He's a guy who will thrive with good linemates and he never really had that. Now he's on a team with two of the best players in the league. I think he can definitely outperform our expectations this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Who knows if Gagner will thrive with anyone?

We're talking a kid who basically mailed it in the last two years at Edmonton, then convinced his GM of his new team that he couldn't play in the NHL.

We know he's a defensive liability, which given his size, 5'11 202, screams "no heart" to me, he's not a 170 lb winger with reasonable trepidation about going into corners, he just doesn't want to fight for the puck or do the dirty work.

After 7 years, you usually get what you see, he's not a 21 year old kid who could suddenly break out after struggling for a year or two. Remember Ville Leino? One big season, got paid, went back to his mediocre self. To me that's Gagner's UPSIDE.

Now there's an outside chance he could be a Joffrey Lupul who blossomed in Philly after struggling with bad teams, but Lupul had a better track record than Gagner. (Lupul struggled due to injuries after he left Philly). But I'm not willing to give him a big contract next year even if he puts up 20 goals and 50 points. So to me he's a one year rental.

SchennSational1022*

Yeah guys, Sam Gagner makes B. Schenn expendable, the same guy who we were thisclose to buying out :shakehead. Some of the things on here.... Let's trade B. Schenn because Gagner COULD replace his offense (offense that will increase next year, like it has every year). And if Gagner sucks, hes gone next year and so is B. Schenn. Makes sense.

SchennSational1022*

For the record, I think Gagner will be a great asset and score 50-55 points this year. But saying B schenn is expendable because we have him now, is absurd.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
Yeah guys, Sam Gagner makes B. Schenn expendable, the same guy who we were thisclose to buying out :shakehead. Some of the things on here.... Let's trade B. Schenn because Gagner COULD replace his offense (offense that will increase next year, like it has every year). And if Gagner sucks, hes gone next year and so is B. Schenn. Makes sense.

Seriously, relax. No one said, Schenn is gone, now Gagner gets a chance. I know you love to play the tough dude but really there is no need to.

Since he seems to be the most effective on the RW, where we already have Voracek and Simmonds and the fact Hexy wants to upgrade the top-six, I assumed Schenn would be an useful and expendable asset.

It's not like the Flyers would give him away for nothing. If Schenn himself would have shown any life on the left side I would have never thought about it.

SchennSational1022*

Seriously, relax. No one said, Schenn is gone, now Gagner gets a chance. I know you love to play the tough dude but really there is no need to.

Since he seems to be the most effective on the RW, where we already have Voracek and Simmonds and the fact Hexy wants to upgrade the top-six, I assumed Schenn would be an useful and expendable asset.

It's not like the Flyers would give him away for nothing. If Schenn himself would have shown any life on the left side I would have never thought about it.

I don't even know what this is supposed to mean, but okay :laugh:. Just ridiculous thinking that a guy who was about to be bought out pushes out a 23 year old 50 point winger.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
According to TimmyP's interview, Gagner said he played left wing before

"I’ve played there before and played there a little bit this year,” Gagner said. “Mikkel Boedker was a natural right wing and whenever I was on his line, I was on the left side. I played everywhere [this] year -- left, right and center. I’m kinda comfortable anywhere."

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-will-keep-sam-gagner-past-buyout-deadline

that's good news. throw him on LW and see what happens. at least to start with. don't want to mess with that awesome chemistry that Schenn was having on RW with Couts.

Gagner-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds
VDV-PEB-White
Umberger hopefully traded

if Gagner really sucks at LW. then you simply swap him and Schenn.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I don't even know what this is supposed to mean, but okay :laugh:. Just ridiculous thinking that a guy who was about to be bought out pushes out a 23 year old 50 point winger.

It's the way you write, with exaggeration. In this case for example when you use the "headshake" or describe my view as "absurd".

Sry for off-topic.

Nevermind, still enjoy your posts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad